Gift of Fate - 10 Fate option gone?

I tried to use the ‘Write Letters’ option to pull the Gifts card and noticed that the ‘A Gift of Fate’ option was gone, and only the ‘Gift of a Great Fate’ option remained. Is it no longer possible to gift fate/nex 10 at a time?

Since you mention it… An hour later, I’ve drawn the card and, yes, the 10 Fate option “The gift of Fate” is gone! :( Shucks, I was depending on that option to give my alts some Fate down the road should they need it.

It does seem a bit curious, I wonder why they would do such a thing.

10 Fate seems easy to get for any new character. Just answer three survey questions, and then become a ‘New Arrival 5’. So perhaps it was possible to game the system by making lots of alts and then having them transfer their Fate to a single character, who then could use that Fate to play through a lot of Fate-locked content?

I don’t know, but that seems like a very good reason to stop characters from moving small (free) amounts of Fate around. Though if the system keeps track of how much Nex any given account has purchased (and why wouldn’t it?), that seems like it would open up for a way to only allow purchased Fate to be sent as gifts.

[color=#009900]This was, sadly, the case. We’d noticed that a lot of the 10-Fate uses were from multiple characters to one, which meant either that some people had a lot of admirers or that it was rather shady alt-farming, but we were letting it slide. But I was upset to see some people had ‘pledged’ to Sunless Sea at the 20 GBP level by using entirely free Fate. (In at least one case someone pulled a Kickstarter pledge to do this once we opened Nex-pledging.) So we had to crack down.
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color]>open up for a way to only allow purchased Fate to be sent as gifts.

[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]It’s possible, but complicated: anything around Nex or payment needs care and takes three times as long. And it leads to confusing error messages like ‘You need 10 Purchased Nex to afford this option, you have only 7 Purchased Nex and 3 Free Fate’. So we’d get stung with both development costs and support costs. We can’t spare the resource for that.[/color][li]
edited by Alexis on 10/15/2013

I’d express my opinion but I suspect I’d be moderated. I love people who take advantage of generosity to force changes to be made that impact on all. And of course it’s a bit [unsophisticated word here] to you guys. &quotHey, I love your stuff so much I want it, but I’d rather you didn’t get any money to support it I don’t like it THAT much.&quot

People. I like people.
edited by babelfishwars on 10/15/2013

Jesus H. Boxing-Day and all his pirouetting schnauzers. I mean, I looked at my free Fate and thought &quotha ha ha, I could pledge with that&quot - and then felt bad even for thinking it. But, pulling their real pledge and trying to get the rewards for free? Who thinks that’s okay?!

That is so wrong that words fail me.

[color=#009900]Honestly, I shouldn’t have taken it personally. Some people treat Kickstarter as a patronage model - helping fund projects they want to see happen. Some people treat it as a pre-order system. Many people fall somewhere in between. From a certain point of view, this was a natural thing to do. And we were fine with people getting a slightly discounted pledge for having picked up free Fate over the years. But we really had to lock this one down now, or we’d keep getting stung in future.[/color]

[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]In the longer term, what we might do is move the Nex gifting option to the purchase screen rather than a storylet branch, because people always have trouble finding it anyway. But, dev time.[/color][li]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]EDIT: I meant, but forgot, to say, I do appreciate the tutting response from y’all! :D It makes us feel much better.[/color]
edited by Alexis on 10/15/2013

Wow! I never thought people would do something like that. I’ll pick up some Nex for my alt on its own - I know my main will use it eventually, perhaps while exploring the Cladery Heart. Thank you for your response.

Alt-farming Fate is very shoddy, of course. It’s a shame to lose the ability to send Fate in smaller amounts, though. Would you consider adding an option to send 25-30 at a time? That should be beyond the reach of farming, especially now the rewards for videos and surveys are gone.[li]

I agree, it is a shame not to be able to send small amounts TO alts for convenience’s. For my two cents: perhaps a stat-level lock on smaller amounts would do the trick?

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]This was, sadly, the case. We’d noticed that a lot of the 10-Fate uses were from multiple characters to one, which meant either that some people had a lot of admirers or that it was rather shady alt-farming, but we were letting it slide. But I was upset to see some people had ‘pledged’ to Sunless Sea at the 20 GBP level by using entirely free Fate. (In at least one case someone pulled a Kickstarter pledge to do this once we opened Nex-pledging.) So we had to crack down.
[/color][li]
edited by Alexis on 10/15/2013[/quote]

Since you noticed this, I very much hope you cancelled that guys &quotpurchase&quot! Frankly, you should check everything he’s done to see if he’s ever bought any Nex in the past. If he haven’t, ban him. Don’t need That kind of players here.

Seeing how I’m one of those who have used the &quotgive a gift of fate&quot option rather often, I’d love if you’d find a way to reinstate it for these smaller amounts. Or at least allow us 25 and 50 Nex options as well. (That should be harder to get for free, right?)
[/li]

Maybe you could have an option that required at least X Nex to use? Not for everything, of course, but I feel that would be appropriate in some cases.

A bit belatedly, but I just noticed that under Write Letters, it still says that “A Commotion in the Square of Lofty Words, … allows you to send other players Fate, … or other treasures.”

You can send people a box of 100 Fate.

I’m glad that that option still exists, although I feel like it’s still an incredibly hefty sum. I don’t suppose we could ever get an option to send, say, 20 Fate, or 40 Fate? That’s still more than you can easily farm on alts (afaik, you can get 11 fate with relative ease.)

Also, whoever tried to pledge free fate to the kickstarter is both a terrible human being and possibly incapable of understanding what a kickstarter is.[li]
edited by Laluzi on 11/3/2013

You can still send 10 fate; but you need to be an Exceptional Friend to do it and it costs an extra fate. I think getting 31 fate (20 for EF subscription, 11 for the box) is probably out of the way of alt farming.

Oh, is there? That’s nice - and clever, since you can only access the House of Chimes if you’re an Exceptional Friend, which costs 20 Nex. It’s a tidy solution.

…huh, actually, I went back and checked just to make sure, and it’s been replaced with a 100-fate box, just like the Square of Lofty Words. I don’t really know why.