Getting closer to the Liberation of Night?

Just today I was converting some luminosity items because, honestly, I didn’t think that specific quality we all know about really matters in the context of gameplay, but I noticed something extremely minor but also extremely unnerving. As long I remember, it has always said you have Minutely Advanced the Liberation of Night. Today when doing the conversions, I noticed the message now says you have Advanced the Liberation of Night with no usage of the term minutely anywhere in there. Did I just miss something and this has been going on for a while now? Or has this only recently been doing that?

I try to stay away from those types, but from what I remember “Advancing the Liberation of Night” is actually a tracked quality. If you’ve advanced it a certain number of times, it goes from “minutely advanced” to the unqualified “advanced”, and I think can go even higher from there.

If you put the quality on your Mantelpiece you can see its numeric value. It goes all the way up to 50, and the flavor text changes at values 10, 25, and 40.

It’s very chilling to think about the aggregate effect of everyone advancing the LoN. For most players it’s inevitable you will be contributing to that cause. I really don’t like what the revolutionists are doing but for certain things I do need their items and connections.

Maybe there will be something to offset the advancement of LoN. Maybe we can choose to sabotage them someday. Or maybe I’ll just betray them terribly whenever I get the chance… yes…

[quote=Mirrorhouse]It’s very chilling to think about the aggregate effect of everyone advancing the LoN. For most players it’s inevitable you will be contributing to that cause. I really don’t like what the revolutionists are doing but for certain things I do need their items and connections.

Maybe there will be something to offset the advancement of LoN. Maybe we can choose to sabotage them someday. Or maybe I’ll just betray them terribly whenever I get the chance… yes…[/quote]

Knowing what machinations the LoN will accomplish is chilling.
Knowing what machinations the LoN will prevent, even moreso.

1 Like

If you lose your Advancing the Liberation of Night quality (getting it to zero), the description is &quotYou have set back the Liberation of NIght!&quot.

Of course, it will go right back to minutely the moment you raise it. It is actually quite easy to avoid - most Luminosity items, save for scarabs, can be safely grinded independently away from upconverting.

[quote=Estelle Knoht]If you lose your Advancing the Liberation of Night quality (getting it to zero), the description is &quotYou have set back the Liberation of NIght!&quot.[/quote]How can you do that?!

[quote=Estelle Knoht]If you lose your Advancing the Liberation of Night quality (getting it to zero), the description is &quotYou have set back the Liberation of NIght!&quot.

Of course, it will go right back to minutely the moment you raise it. It is actually quite easy to avoid - most Luminosity items, save for scarabs, can be safely grinded independently away from upconverting.[/quote]
Don;t forget, scarabs can be bought, if at an absurd markup.

If you have the Light Fingers ambition you can grind them on the island you unlock, and you can always breed Tomb-Lions if you don’t mind hopping into the Tomb-Colonies.

[li]
Lost In Reflections lets you potentially betray a member of the Calendar Council to the Masters, debiting your AtLoN quality.

1. Counterrevolutionaries pay Fate in large numbers to reset the story and repeatedly set back the Liberation.
  2. Failbetter fills its coffers with reactionary money.
  3. Failbetter hires a new writer dedicated completely to Liberation-related content.

What a brilliant move.

1. Counterrevolutionaries pay Fate in large numbers to reset the story and repeatedly set back the Liberation.
  3. Failbetter hires a new writer dedicated completely to Liberation-related content.

What a brilliant move.[/quote]

I’m not ready to make tinfoil hats just yet :-p - though I am hoping there will eventually be more stories which intertwine with this, and provide opportunities to gradually reduce LoN for those of use who don’t have Fate to spare. :-)

It doesn’t have to be huge amounts, but just a few cp here, a few cp there… over a bunch of stories, so that players who feel so inclined will be able to ameliorate their past actions. As it currently stands, if you missed out on that particular opportunity there aren’t many other ways to reduce LoN, at least not that I’m aware of.

My own bias aside, this quality mostly exists in order to mystify, unnerve, and bring regret. You have contributed to something darker than you realized, and inexorable. You turn around but the path has disappeared behind you. Will liberation succeed? If it does, will you be to blame?

That’s my interpretation, and this design certainly has many more people invested one way or the other because of it. &quotConnected: Revolutionaries&quot is almost the same quality lore-wise, but it can be reduced easily, and thus provokes little emotion.

[quote=TheThirdPolice]My own bias aside, this quality mostly exists in order to mystify, unnerve, and bring regret. You have contributed to something darker than you realized, and inexorable. You turn around but the path has disappeared behind you. Will liberation succeed? If it does, will you be to blame?

That’s my interpretation, and this design certainly has many more people invested one way or the other because of it. &quotConnected: Revolutionaries&quot is almost the same quality lore-wise, but it can be reduced easily, and thus provokes little emotion.[/quote]

That’s actually a pretty solid point. Being able to undo everything would negate the feeling provoked by the narrative.
Disregard my previous post. ^_^

Edit: I should note that it’s taking forever to drag down Connected: Revolutionaries 134 to something resembling single-digits. My qualities say I’m a ‘ringleader’, and meanwhile my character’s like &quotI barely even know these guys!&quot :-p
edited by Kittenpox on 3/4/2016

Oh, that’s easy. You can drop your Connected: Revolutionaries repeatedly by converting, hm, it’s this item called &quotPhosphorescent Scarab.&quot >: )
edited by TheThirdPolice on 3/4/2016

[quote=Kittenpox]I should note that it’s taking forever to drag down Connected: Revolutionaries 134 to something resembling single-digits. My qualities say I’m a ‘ringleader’, and meanwhile my character’s like &quotI barely even know these guys!&quot :-p[/quote]It’s actually not hard to tank Connected:Revolutionaries really fast. Just use the Affair of the Box and purposely keep switching sides - once your Turncoat quality is at 4, you can clear it with 100 CP of Connected:Revolutionaries.

An alternative method of tanking Revs is to become closest to them, and then snub them. Instant set to 0.

You could say, when it comes to luminosity items, they own the means of production. :D
And I really need to get more luminosities once I’ve finished some money-making to grind my LoN up. The Great Work won’t finish itself.

What a brilliant move.[/quote]

1. Failbetter hires writer to write Liberation-related content.
  2. The new LoN-related story comes out. Revolutionaries rejoice.
  3. The rest of us who are (more or less) sane play it to halt it at all costs.
  4. The Liberation takes a crippling blow all thanks to the non-omnicidal players who funded it.

My, what a lovely move indeed.

In all seriousness, I’ve always loved this quality. Not because I support the LoN, but by how much of an ominous feel it gave all thanks to the players own willingness, accidental or not, to set in motion something that is quite possibly beyond our imagination. Something horrific, something liberating, something incomprehensible. The fact that the quality’s flavor text almost celebrates your doings in a whimsical mystic manner also adds to the whole impending coming that you’ve set in motion. Chilling stuff, good job Failbetter. Good job.

[li]I’d prefer that it not be set in stone. People should be able to determine London’s fate, rather than be resigned to a specific, rail-roaded outcome.