Fruits of the Zee!

A very apt comparison, considering Polythreme’s second defining feature, after the Clay Men, is also being an exercise in excruciating frustration at the hands of RNG.

And my spouse got the Semi-Automated Mary Lloyd after about three tries. Grrr. I do have the Mask and Watch, though.

EDIT: Finally got the Semi-Automated Mary Lloyd late last week; I am not chained to Mutton Island any more!
edited by cathyr19355 on 8/27/2019

AFTER EIGHT ROUNDS OF FISHING, I HAVE EIGHT LIBERATED CLAY MEN IN MY BOAT.
THIS IS HOW I SPEAK NOW.

Hi all! New, stupid citizen here who needs some assistance…
I accidentally went into picking a destiny not knowing what a ‘desitny’ was even… Now that I know that my destiny will follow me forever (unless I change it with fate), I want to back out of choosing one as I’m not ready yet! Problem is I can’t seem to back out of choosing an option though…can’t click anything else or travel anywhere :/ Any ideas?

Unfortunately, once you have started to select a destiny, there’s no way to back out. Don’t worry too much, though. Your choice of destiny has few mechanical implications; you get +5 to one stat, but it doesn’t unlock anything specific.

True. No matter what you choose will come in handy in various challenges through the game. For the time being, Watchful and Persuasive have more uses though, so perhaps check the Destiny Guide here in the forum before making the final choice.

Ah…very unfortunate indeed. Many thanks for confirming though!

I had wanted to pick The Oath but can’t even be proposed to right now because apparently I’m stuck ‘somewhere else’!

&quot…to say nothing of the entire library of Uncanny Incunabula&quot

Echoed here: Fallen London

Afterward the storylet tried to send me after her, but couldn’t because I still had a strange catch. Now I’m not sure if I missed content due to that or not.

Afterward the storylet tried to send me after her, but couldn’t because I still had a strange catch. Now I’m not sure if I missed content due to that or not.[/quote]
It didn’t do that for me (try ‘to send me after her’), and the wiki doesn’t list anything like that either. Doesn’t seem like you missed something there… Maybe it was a bug?

Just checking, because I’m currently back in London… there’s nothing new on Mutton Island for the second week of the Feast, is there? :D

Afterward the storylet tried to send me after her, but couldn’t because I still had a strange catch. Now I’m not sure if I missed content due to that or not.[/quote]
It didn’t do that for me (try ‘to send me after her’), and the wiki doesn’t list anything like that either. Doesn’t seem like you missed something there… Maybe it was a bug?

Just checking, because I’m currently back in London… there’s nothing new on Mutton Island for the second week of the Feast, is there? :D[/quote]
Now every time I &quotavoid the attentions of the Mary Lloyd&quot I get the option to board the ferry. Maybe it is a bug.

I’m fairly certain that was always the case - the idea, as far as I understand it, is that the Mary Lloyd chases you down to the docks. From there you can grab a boat to London, because that’s what docks are for, or since you probably wanna stay on the island you have to make your way back to the festivities (by clicking perhaps not and going back to the main feast storylet). Of note here is that is that I’m pretty sure you don’t just randomly &quotget the option to board the ferry&quot, rather, you’re redirected to the usual &quotleave the festival&quot storylet.

It did this for me even though I let the encounter with Virgina play out, and while I’m not fully certain I think I do remember the same thing happening during previous years.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 8/27/2019

It happened to me too every time I confronted the Mary Lloyd; however, until reading Pyro’s explanation, I read it either as a bug or as a misclick on my part.

I’m pretty sure it was always the case with escaping attentions of Mary Lloyd. She chases you to the docks, and then you have to get back, that’s why I always take the first option on that page.

The other Mary Lloyd is just as uncooperative. I got a small army of Clay men before finally getting it - and with Strange Catch 7, after all that effort I put into getting 9s and 10s…

On the bright side, I’m taking those Clay men to the Nadir with me. They’ll have to make themselves useful!

I’m growing desperate with trying to get this Mary-Lloyd but I don’t want to fork over more Fate to get it. It just feels like cheating.

How many more 10+ catches do I need to dredge up before I can get this damned item.

For what it’s worth, I got mine with an 8 or a 9 - think it was an 8!

I also got mine with 8.

If the tables posted by Phyrne are correct, 7 is actually the optimal catch to get it - since it has a Picking range of 10 (which does include the full Mary Lloyd range as a subset), while higher catch values have greater possible ranges (e.g. SC8 has a range of 12), leading to a smaller probability of getting exactly the Lloyd values.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 8/29/2019

That is correct. Due to higher SC values resulting in wider Picking… ranges it’s only really profitable to go for them at the beginning of the Feast, when you’re supposedly going after a wider range of items, too. Once you’ve got only one item left to go after, your chances increase with the lowest SC unlock for that item. You don’t need 10+ catches for anything, really.

Generally, I figured this is the best way to play it:

• right at the beginning of the Feast I try to get SC in the 8-10 range. Of the available items in the Cove, I pick the one with the highest unlock requirement [/li][li]then I slowly pick my way through the items I want, using progressively lower-value catches and smaller ranges[/li][/ul][ul][li]of course, there’s no protection against bad luck. I have one character who consistenly got the lowest possible SC/Picking conversions and never could pick the Mary-Lloyd… but we’ll probably have at least another year to try and get it without Fate anyway!

edited by phryne on 8/31/2019

I can’t seem to get back to the Wrecking Cove…the last 2 times I’ve gone fishing, I just never get the option to give Mrs Plenty (er, the Hooded Lady) the Strange Catch. I tried going back to London and coming back, I’ve tried doing some other storylets…is there something I’m missing? Clearly from the posts here, there’s not a limit. I got the mask and the Submerged Rector, but haven’t been able to try for anything else. And I want the bloody bicycle!

Thanks!