Fishing for PoSI Souls: Number Crunching

Just drew Give a Gift and sent one to Madison Lavery. This is a terribly inefficient way to go about it, but hey, I needed a project besides grinding for a goat. :)

[quote=Flyte][quote=WormApotheote]I mean the grind was so much better than any other money making option though that it was better to buy the rats you needed to use the Rookery Password from the bazaar rather than use Unfinished Business to get them, so like, it was clearly breaking the economy and it doesn’t especially surprise me that it is no longer an option.[/quote][color=#C2B280]Yeah, this. Soul retrieval is meant to be chancy and difficult at best; it was problematic that serial soul-selling was both quite straightforward and an anomalously profitable grind.

It is, by the way, still possible to find one’s soul in a Bundle of Oddities.[/color][/quote]

Well, I’d just like to say as a member of the CVR, I’d like the option to track down and restore other player’s souls for them. Make it so someone with a Sheperd’s Timepeice can have a option to restore other player’s souls. The CVR player can get something nice out of it and the poor soul gets his soul back.

That would be really cool.

I’ve created this:

Anyone with the link can edit. While probably the soul just got moved, I figure it doesn’t hurt to make it a sanity check on the wiki’s bundle list.

Thank you! I’ll be sure to reciprocate all the packages once the RNG decides to behave.

I will also endeavor to do so if anyone sends one my way. (If so, please use Madman, not Xoricco.)

Although, to add to this since Flyte said it’s supposed to be difficult and chancy, the person wanting the soul back would probably need to put up a upfront cost of some sort, as well as a cost for the player looking for it(though they’d need to make a profit). What would YOU pay if you wanted your soul back and what would you be willing to give to find another player’s soul?

Oh, and for the google spreadsheet, I feel like if we’re bothering to collect data let’s collect all of it, so I encourage people to add quantities for the contents. :)

It’d have to be somewhere around or above 312 echoes to prevent serial soul selling from being profitable.

Edit: A lot of the quantities are kinda random, though. We could still add it, but that’ll be a lot of different numbers.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 2/26/2015

[quote=Sara Hysaro]It’d have to be somewhere around or above 312 echoes to prevent serial soul selling from being profitable.

Edit: A lot of the quantities are kinda random, though. We could still add it, but that’ll be a lot of different numbers.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 2/26/2015[/quote]

Not necessarily. there’s nothing wrong with a bit of profit from it, but when it becomes 312 echoes of guaranteed profit it’s a issue. What if the person paid a certain amount of echoes to get decent profit out it, most of it goes to the CVR in general (AKA not existing anymore) and you get a larger cut as a finder’s fee?

Well, I figure we could wind up (with enough bundles) with something like on the wikia page- I put “112 cryptic clues”, then someone edits it to “112-368 cryptic clues”, then someone gets something outside that range, etc etc. I dunno, I was a math major, I like numbers. I don’t want to try to make work for people, I just figure we don’t know for sure other things didn’t change when the soul moved and we could doublecheck the values on the wiki. But obviously ruling out the soul values is the most important. (I wonder if we can assume that it wouldn’t be stuck in the middle of an otherwise uniform range… probably shouldn’t…)

I mean i’m not sure tracking the negative values is that important, unless something pops up that differs from what existing records say. It’s not like we can really influence the numbers much.

I’m also wondering what the storylet in question will give if you already have your soul? Something new? Or will it be an exising option with multiple outcomes? But if that’s the case then I think the only optino that’s rare enough is a blemmigan secretary.

…if selling your soul locked you out of getting a blemmigan secretary, of course, then there’d be a very good reason to keep it :P

With this google doc, are we bothering with values under 130?

As souls used to be in 100 value bundles I think it might be best. Though I am not using the google doc myself, so I suppose it best if people who are editing to have the final say.

I do have a soulless alt and if they come across their soul in a bundle I’ll let you know what the value is.

I am including low values personally, but people should do whatever they don’t find to be too tedious. :) I doubt we’ll find souls at values below 130, but I can already confirm that the wiki’s values are at least a little incorrect, as their version of 100 is 5-8 certifiable scrap, and I got 1 when I got that result yesterday.

If we found it below 130, wouldn’t it still be grindable?
edited by Aximillio on 2/26/2015

Grindable, yes. But if they created an entry under 130 that only had a 50/50 chance of returning the soul, then you could still grind it but it would no longer be profitable to have sold it in the first place. I don’t know if this is technically possible in Storynexus.

It’s possible: you only make it a luck challenge. But then there would be no reason to change it from 100.

Luck challenge…

[quote=Flyte][quote=WormApotheote]I mean the grind was so much better than any other money making option though that it was better to buy the rats you needed to use the Rookery Password from the bazaar rather than use Unfinished Business to get them, so like, it was clearly breaking the economy and it doesn’t especially surprise me that it is no longer an option.[/quote][color=#C2B280]Yeah, this. Soul retrieval is meant to be chancy and difficult at best; it was problematic that serial soul-selling was both quite straightforward and an anomalously profitable grind.

It is, by the way, still possible to find one’s soul in a Bundle of Oddities.[/color][/quote]

Does… this… make it a &quotchancy&quot challenge?

furiously reads tea leaves

[quote=Flyte][color=#C2B280]Yeah, this. Soul retrieval is meant to be chancy and difficult at best; it was problematic that serial soul-selling was both quite straightforward and an anomalously profitable grind.

The option to hunt down and steal your soul back or hire someone to steal it back, especially for those of us with the relevant connections to the soul trade would make more narrative sense, I guess. All the same one more experience of a stealth nerf leaving people stuck in the middle is disappointing and replacing the old method with I would guess around a 1 in 1000 card dependent chance doesn’t assuage that much.

What it was meant to be isn’t necessarily obvious to players. I felt a 1 in 186ish chance of success paired with the cost of connected:urchins, suspicion removal and being locked into a grind until you got your soul back made it good but not broken, and certainly not an exploit.

So an unannounced nerf is annoying. I and I presume others got locked out of retrieving souls because a lot of people suddenly figured out this was the best RNG dependent grind. And? Something else is now the best RNG dependent grind. This wasn’t changed for narrative reasons, it was changed for mechanics. An announcement with grace period would have been nice.

This game is grindy enough. The ubergoat grind choosing this method every single time you got the card would still require over 10,000 turns. Cider? Still around 80,000. 4 or so months of nothing but real time grinding for a cool goat that offers a decent return on 1 card, maybe less if you don’t sleep much, is truly not game breaking.

Well, there goes my hope of buying an ubergoat with 75 Diamonds, or the cider with 512. Considering I’ve only had the chance to sell my soul 5 times since the new year with all the other cards in my deck, I really didn’t think this was a “straightforward and profitable grind”, considering it relied on chance cards and a connection/suspicion cost random event. I guess I’ll have to find another useless advancement to occupy my time. :( I enjoy the new content that has been added and stuff, but I really think this was an overreaction. How many diamonds has anyone gotten in a short period of time? I’ve gotten 5 in 2 months, which is 1562.5 echoes in two months, at an average rate of about 2.7 epa when I went to get my soul back.