First Feast of the Rose - Completely Lost

Hi everyone,[li]

This is my first Feast of the Exceptional Rose and, after completely botching this Christmas season, I would like to ask for advice on the what to do during the feast.

Right now… I’m kinda lost.

So far, what I understand is that I somehow grind ‘masquing’ during the feast, and then I exchange the masquing for… stuff (no idea what).

I have a few questions:

How long does the feast last? Just today?

I get masquing by receiving gifts, right? So there is no way to give myself masquing?

Would it work to say, receive 20 Glasses of Teeth and then exchange them for 20 masquing?

Any other general tips/advice?

The basic route goes as follows:
Send/receive gifts, Trade gifts for masquing, Trade masquing for pets.

Gift giving is a stickied storylet, so easy to find. Lilac is a card (Frequent frequency) to allow you to trade gifts for masquing, and the Encounter at the Feasts allows you to get pets with your masquing.
There are one or two storylets that let you get masquing directly, to a small limit, and gift exchanges are similarly limited, for non-fate gifts.

[quote=deadcrystal]
There are one or two storylets that let you get masquing directly [/quote]

Which?

At the perfumed pleasure garden storylet, at the carnival, failure on the wheel of affection and Join the dancers option give you gifts of scorn, rare success on dancers gives you masquing directly. Some of the feast opportunity cards may also give masquing.

[quote=deadcrystal]The basic route goes as follows:
Send/receive gifts, Trade gifts for masquing, Trade masquing for pets.

…[/quote]
Thanks for the great summary!

I’m… not getting gifts of scorn on failure at either of those…

I don’t think you get scorn from dancing, but you do from the wheel. Also, it’s worth noting that the direct masquing caps fairly low.

Also, the Feast should last two weeks. This year, there is also a new storylet at your lodgings allowing you to declare your love to another player, propose to them and start preparing a wedding.

I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one confused by this as a newish player.

Is the basic gist of this that you send things to other players so that they can rack up Masquing to cash in for pets, wedding plans, and spice (that’s the plural of spouse, right?) and hope that someone else gives you some in return?

And that for almost anything worthwhile to be built up with Masquing, Fate-locked gifts are required?

:-\

[quote=Mordaine Barimen]I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one confused by this as a newish player.

Is the basic gist of this that you send things to other players so that they can rack up Masquing to cash in for pets, wedding plans, and spice (that’s the plural of spouse, right?) and hope that someone else gives you some in return?

And that for almost anything worthwhile to be built up with Masquing, Fate-locked gifts are required?

:-[/quote]

Basically. But they’re making an announcement or something about it Monday?

Must’ve missed the post saying there would be a Monday announcement, but there’s also exploring the Pleasure Garden and all the different options on the Feast opportunity card, for the holiday atmosphere.

Maybe they were thinking of an access code?

I could have misheard things! Internet is a game of telephone sometimes.

edited by Flyte on 2/15/2014

[quote=Mordaine Barimen]
:-[/quote]

I dunno - I’m rather chuffed with my ghost and my pirate poet. And if the gifts of scorn are truly exchangeable (not tested yet), should be able to get more of the lower level ones.
edited by babelfishwars on 2/15/2014

To answer your question, you can exchange gifts of scorn for masquing.

What’s a reliable way to grind to 100 masquing?[li]
edited by bertrandwins on 2/15/2014

There isn’t, at least not a reliable grind. The highest you can “grind” is ~20 Masquing, anything higher will have to be obtained through gifts.

Unless they change things we cannot get to 100 Masquing. It caps for non-fate gifts at 25 or so. So unless you have some very generous friends and/or can repay in kind it is impossible.

I’m thinking of doing an exchange through repaying in kind. Is there an IRC channel for this? :)