Finding Certifiable Scraps?

[Context: playing ~6 weeks, up to ~70 per stat.]

Where do folks go to find Certifiable Scraps? I spent the few that I had pretty early on, and there are a lot of Relicker cards that it would be pleasant to be able to use… but I have not seen a reliable source of scraps ever that I’m aware of. What am I missing? :)

Thanks!

If you play the lodging cards you have the keys to you’ll get scraps. The more lodgings you get the more opportunities for scraps you will have. There’s a few other sources, but for your range lodging cards are probably your best bet.

Lodgings cards! Once you have the relevant key, the basic challenge on a Lodgings card will give Scrap as its reward. The Flophouse, Gambling Den, Bookshop, Cottage, Lair, and Shack all give 1; the Townhouse and Steamer give 2; the Embassy and Royal Beth, 3; the Bazaar, 4.

(Does anyone still live in the Half-Abandoned Mansion? Or were they evicted when K&C came to a close, or with one of the Lodgings revisions?)

I personally don’t play most of the relicker cards and simply save up for the high rewards instead. I guess that’s preference.

(For that matter, could one still acquire it if one were to hypothetically reach K&C rank 13 in this day and age?)

Correct me, if I am wrong, but the scraps are actually not all that valuable. I play them on +3 and +4 Lodgings but even with them, I don’t think I am getting any profit. They are mostly there for the novelty value of next tier items, as they get unlocked.

(For that matter, could one still acquire it if one were to hypothetically reach K&C rank 13 in this day and age?)[/quote]

I don’t think there is another another way of increasing one’s Kinfe and Candle rank now that the game is not being played. Is there?

(For that matter, could one still acquire it if one were to hypothetically reach K&C rank 13 in this day and age?)[/quote]
I don’t think there is another another way of increasing one’s Kinfe and Candle rank now that the game is not being played. Is there?[/quote]
For the potential madman who’s yet to complete the story, there is a way via the story “An Umpire of Knife and Candle”. There’s an option around the third opportunity card in, that allows you to kill two disputing members for a single point in rank increase. It also resets your progress in the story to 0, allowing you to start it from the beginning should you redraw the card. Presuming it doesn’t cap at some arbitrary number, one would have to do this around 90 times to reach 13.

I’ve found they have a value around 40-50p ea for t6+ (besides the curiosity value)
t6-goods are 160 scraps + 1 action for 62.5 E (39p/scrap)
Assuming their prices continue to be 5x the previous good, t8 will be 1562,5 E on 3200 scraps or 48,8 p/scrap.
This means the 3-scraps lodgings give 1.46 E assuming you get t8 goods.

Remember, however, that this doesn’t include curiosity value, the fact they’re (probably) easier to get than the t8 items and any potential flaws by item costs and rare successes.

Edit: For reference, I haven’t counted in the action to cash it in. This should have a diminishing relative value in the high tiers, however.
On a similar note, would it be possible to have an option to not have the low-level lodging cards turn up once you have their key?
Or make them useful when high-level and not explicitly grinding for scraps?
edited by Aximillio on 1/22/2013

Yes they do

You can trade in some of your connections (~120CP) with Urchins in the Flit to gain 20 Certifiable Scraps and 8 Phosphorescent Scarabs. The option appears in a Flit-exclusive opportunity card entitled Call in favours in the Flit. It’s an uncommon draw card, but it’s a lot of scraps in one go. (I haven’t tested the Criminal and Revolutionaries’ options but they might be along the same vein.) I probably wouldn’t choose that option again; I favor the urchins and, who knows, having high Connected scores with your favorite factions might give a character a more satisfying ending. Then again, I’ve been playing on and off for half a year and only have 100 scraps to show for it. I usually choose the scrap options for the Lodgings card, too. :-/ Ah well, luck of the draw and all that.

My calculations are probably really off, but if you grind using the “All this blood has got you thinking about death” invite option in the lodgings, you can get a ton of money/Scraps.

It’s even more tedious than most grinds, because you’d have to uncheck the “post a message to their wall?” bit before spending an action. On the plus side, I reckon it’s at least 140 per action, which makes it one of the best ways to grind money, if you’ve got time to spare.

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic804-an-indepth-look-at-money-options.aspx?Page=2#post18993

Yes they do[/quote]

Yes, we do. Although I haven’t gotten the card for it since Knife and Candle ended it’s last season.

Thanks for the hint, Nagato! I didn’t know there was a grindable source of scraps. I’m finding that I do get the ‘unlucky’ result every dozen cards or so, but it’s a good source of echos and scraps despite that.

Has anyone found a better source of scraps that’s not an opp card? The “All this blood has got you thinking about death” invite option in the lodgings gives 1 scrap and 45 surface currency on a lucky result.

Yes they do[/quote]

Yes, we do. Although I haven’t gotten the card for it since Knife and Candle ended it’s last season.[/quote]

Well, that’s nine flavours of awesome! Nice work!

Thanks, all. [Right now I’m trying to figure out whether, as I think, the new pickpocketing area is bugged - it appears not to permit retention of >~10 success tokens and also not correctly parse choice of road along which to meander. Anyone else finding the same?]

If you haven’t yet, try sending a bug report. I accrued 24 Pickpocket Trophies a moment ago and successfully gained a reward.

I got a lot of scraps from the Relicker cards themselves. It might not be very profitable (you get 20 on success and lose 18 on failure), but I think there are more successes than failures, because I ended up with over a 1000 scraps after about half a year of playing. (I also used the lodging cards.)

My results from that particular action has been much to 50/50. It’s slow progress, but it is progress. Of course, I find the Relicker cards are now rare enough that I find I have built up enough scraps for what I want before I draw one, so I haven’t taken that option in quite a while.