Finding Certifiable Scraps?

I’ve gone from 150 scraps to 2 through a string of terrible luck with the Relickers.

[quote=Lady Red]Thanks for the hint, Nagato! I didn’t know there was a grindable source of scraps. I’m finding that I do get the ‘unlucky’ result every dozen cards or so, but it’s a good source of echos and scraps despite that.

Has anyone found a better source of scraps that’s not an opp card? The “All this blood has got you thinking about death” invite option in the lodgings gives 1 scrap and 45 surface currency on a lucky result.[/quote]

Have been semi-grinding scraps, and using the option above, along with opportunity cards, has got me about a thousand in about two weeks, which I am most pleased with.

My number one tip for scrap farming is don’t ever gamble with the relickers. Or only in the smallest amount and only rarely.

Use the lodgigs cards, and invite cards when you can. Overgoat if you have it.
I met my 3200 scrap goal a while ago and now am just accumulating spares.

I agree with not using the relickers - I seem to lose more than I win, whenever I try. I think I will continue grinding the way I’ve been grinding until I hit 3,200 (I’ve got about 150 scraps to go) and then take a break. But I’ll undoubtedly go back to it - there are four top-price items to collect, after all! :)

Veils-Velvet, Rumourmonger’s Network, Breath of the Void, or… something secret, from[color=000000] the man who is probably from the First City and may have brewed the first Hesperidean Cider[/color]. So, the question is, which top reward to collect second?
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 2/6/2013

The First City? Who what where when?

The First City? Who what where when?[/quote]

He’s referring to the Capering Relicker, the one wearing a wooden mask.

How do we know he is from the first city?

There are many tantalizing scraps of information about this gentleman in the thread called “Fallen Cities (A Great Many Spoilers)”. I have enjoyed working my way through what is currently fourteen pages of compiled data on what is known about the cities that came before.

Gambling with the Relickers: for the 10 and 20 scrap options, the mathematical outcome is 1 scrap gain per card draw. The 5 scrap option is zero-sum.

Assuming it’s a 50% chance of success.

People seem to have horrific luck with scrap-gambling, myself included. Dunno if that’s just confirmation bias, but I gave up on it a while ago when it seemed like I was almost always losing.

I seem to get about 50/50, but grinding for scraps is pretty far down on my list of things to do so I’m working from a relatively limited sample size.

Bringing this back because, with the recent changes, I’m wondering if any new sources for scraps have appeared? I really REALLY want to upgrade my lodgings in the Brass Embassy, (especially now you can unlock the Green-Eyed Devil with it, I desperately want one of those) but I’m not even half way to the 3200 I need for a Prince of Hell location (I had already sold my Nadir location before the new lodgings options appeared, dangit.) So, yes, rambling, sorry. Scraps. Any new options other than lodgings? (I seem to have no luck flipping that card up in the flit, and I’d like to keep the urchin connections I have in any case).
edited by Inky Petrel on 1/1/2014

[quote=Inky Petrel]Bringing this back because, with the recent changes, I’m wondering if any new sources for scraps have appeared? I really REALLY want to upgrade my lodgings in the Brass Embassy, (especially now you can unlock the Green-Eyed Devil with it, I desperately want one of those) but I’m not even half way to the 3200 I need for a Prince of Hell location (I had already sold my Nadir location before the new lodgings options appeared, dangit.) So, yes, rambling, sorry. Scraps. Any new options other than lodgings? (I seem to have no luck flipping that card up in the flit, and I’d like to keep the urchin connections I have in any case).
edited by Inky Petrel on 1/1/2014[/quote]
I expect, or at least dearly hope, that another opportunity to acquire such a valuable infernal secret will soon arise.[li]

[quote=Inky Petrel]Any new options other than lodgings? (I seem to have no luck flipping that card up in the flit, and I’d like to keep the urchin connections I have in any case).[/quote]Reprehensible Lizard, Fairy Tame Sorrow-Spider and Deshrieked Mandrake all give 2 scraps when you send them to the Surface with a message to that ‘friend’ you wish to spam with invites to Fallen London. Sulky Bats can do it too, but their default option gives 3 scraps or Connected: The Game +8 CP, with a rare chance for a Bat with Attitude. So despite slightly less than 50% lucky results so far, I’m going with that one.

[quote=Fhoenix]How do we know he is from the first city?[/quote]He &quotraised his glass when the Eye Temple fell&quot. Also he’s a good friend of the Manager of the Royal Beth.

Back on topic: I’m kinda glad the Relickers are getting some love. They’re probably my favorite bit of FL, mostly because of the vortex of humor, lore hints, and neat items. I do wish there was a Relicker for Wines items, though.

Also, when I draw the cards, I typically use the 5-scrap gamble. I’ve had enough success that it’s worth using, and only a 4-scrap loss on a bad roll. I’ll certainly try some of the more grindable options mentioned here, though.

Re-certifying gets me about 50-50 but since I don’t have much scraps to begin with, when I lose, I lose almost all my gambling scraps…

I had 100-200 scraps when I started re-certifying armfuls (10 scraps), since I wanted enough scraps to be able to cover for strings of bad luck. And it started out badly. Soon I had five losses over the wins. But I kept at it, and after 59 re-certifications I stopped, with 30 wins to 29 losses. That’s 69 scraps for 59 Actions.

Now I’m re-certifying double armfuls, and for a long time I was behind. But eventually I had some luck, and recently I was at 3 wins over the losses. If I had stopped there, that would’ve been 60 scraps extra over the average 1 scrap per re-certification. But since I’ve had 5-6 more losses than wins, I figured I should at least wait until I have 5 more wins than losses. One day… But not today, because now I’m down to 41 wins to 40 losses. Still, counting total scraps, it doesn’t really make sense to stop. Not if I really, really want scraps. And I do! They’re key to getting unique items. And unique items are priceless.

So if you’re having bad luck with re-certifications, just keep at it. Your luck is likely to turn eventually. When you know that you’ll want at least 3200 scraps, you’ve got to think long term.

I haven’t had bad luck re-certifying double armfuls knocks wood but it’s still so slow. I wish there was an option that wasn’t an opportunity card. Though I suppose the difficulty of collecting them is rather the point.
I didn’t know about all the invite scraps though, thanks! Will start doing that.