Feedback

[color=#C2B280]Several people have told me that they’re unsure how to submit feedback, especially since the demise of the old UserVoice site. So:[ul][li]We’ve created feedback@failbettergames.com: I’ll read, mull over, (sometimes) forward and (very occasionally) reply to any feedback you send to this address.[/li][li]Alternatively, you can post it here on the forums, particularly if it’s something which would benefit from community discussion.[/li][li]We’re tentatively planning to hold more community consultations, perhaps every couple of months or a little more often.[/li][/ul]If you have any general questions about feedback, please feel free to post them here and I’ll do my best to answer them.[/color]

Aha! And, here, I was just about to make a small suggestion but, first, I wanted to check the feedback site to be sure that it had not been discussed before. It’s loss is a shame: the ability to see what suggestions have already been made was the biggest advantage of that site.

I don’t think it’s entirely clear which forum here would be best for suggestions. &quotThe Bazaar,&quot it seems to me, is a forum for the game as it is, not as one would like it to be.[li]

Could you also post the link for assistance? Some of my Nex got munched and I’m having difficulty finding who to contact to ask about it. Cheers.

support@failbettergames.com

Well! My search has ended. I have a suggestion, doubtless proposed many times before: a Fallen London app, or perhaps simply a mobile version of the site. Many a time I have found myself browserless, while on the cusp of a moon league victory…and the current site is simply not conducive to 4" play. Suffice it to say that it is easy to mistake Savage for Elusive at a glance at such a size.

Is what I am proposing viable, or should I lay off the Broken Giant?
By the way, I find the game exceptional.

I’m not ssure if this is where to place it or not, but I would love to have a button to mark all posts as read so that the “X unread topics” link at the top could be more useful.

Presuming, of course, that there isn’t one already that I’ve completely overlooked.

[quote=Sam Powick]Well! My search has ended. I have a suggestion, doubtless proposed many times before: a Fallen London app, or perhaps simply a mobile version of the site. Many a time I have found myself browserless, while on the cusp of a moon league victory…and the current site is simply not conducive to 4&quot play.

Is what I am proposing viable, or should I lay off the Broken Giant?[/quote][color=#C2B280]An app or mobile version of the site would be lovely, but making one for Fallen London would involve solving some pretty difficult design challenges and take up a lot of development time – which could otherwise go into Sunless Sea, or Mysterious Project, or general site improvements that would benefit everyone.

Occasionally Alexis looks at the numbers. The numbers… they look back at him with scorn and derision. This is even before he ventures to ask their opinion of the development costs of maintaining said apps or mobile version; how they respond to that, I have not enquired.

What we do want to do is gradually make the site more responsive, so that it adapts a little better to the affordances of the user’s device.[/color]

edited by Flyte on 3/5/2014

/applause.
I wanted to provide the less-frequently-spoken support for decisions that are akin to denying player desires.

Responsive structure is absolutely the first thing to explore, as varied devices across multiple ecosystems makes traditional app development and support daunting if not impossible for a small team. I’m optimistic to hear what conistently seems to be rational decision making and resource management. Keep up the good work.

Thank you, Flyte, for your response. I agree in every way - and Surface forbid that any suggestion whatsoever should inhibit the development of Sunless Sea. I hear that Devilbone dice are useful for dealing with said numbers.
I look forward to sailing blindly into tentacled waters…albeit on a decent sized screen :)[li]
edited by Xamadot on 3/5/2014

I’d like to know why my exceptional story has vanished!?!

If it’s actually vanished, and you’ve not sold it or otherwise used it - that’s a bug, and should be reported to support@failbettergames.com (not posted on the feedback thread, which is more for suggestions than bugs). Thanks. :-)

[quote=Flyte][color=#C2B280]An app or mobile version of the site would be lovely, but making one for Fallen London would involve solving some pretty difficult design challenges and take up a lot of development time – which could otherwise go into Sunless Sea, or Mysterious Project, or general site improvements that would benefit everyone.[/color]/quote]

[color=#009900]Everything Flyte says is still accurate - but there is a glimmer of light. It’s possible that we may have some external funding available to us specifically for an FL mobile version.[/color]

[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]This may not materialise, and we need to work carefully because our other projects must have priority - but it’s an actual possibility for the first time.[/color]

Well, for me at least, it’s not as if the site is unusable on mobile - seeing the mouseover text can get tricky, but it’s not essential (most of the time).

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][quote=Flyte][color=#C2B280]An app or mobile version of the site would be lovely, but making one for Fallen London would involve solving some pretty difficult design challenges and take up a lot of development time – which could otherwise go into Sunless Sea, or Mysterious Project, or general site improvements that would benefit everyone.[/color]/quote]

[color=#009900]Everything Flyte says is still accurate - but there is a glimmer of light. It’s possible that we may have some external funding available to us specifically for an FL mobile version.[/color]

[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]This may not materialise, and we need to work carefully because our other projects must have priority - but it’s an actual possibility for the first time.[/color][/quote]

[li]
If a mobile version of the site or an app does pan out, I respectfully request that there is an eye to accessibility with screen readers. I am very new to Fallen London so haven’t quite gotten the hang of how best to play, but I am also blind and use VoiceOver with both an iPhone and a MacBook. Mouseovers on the site are very problematic for me and sometimes contain vital information, such as item bonuses, which I only found out about because I checked the wikis. Just wanted to voice the issue at the very beginning, so if it is made, accessibility can be incorporated from the get-go.

A reduced amount of waiting time for actions would be awesome for subscribers.
Anyone back this up?

Being an Exceptional Friend lets you store 40 actions instead of 20, which is almost the same thing unless you are already using every possible action.

Yeah, the change I’d really like to Exceptional Friendship is increasing the card bank; the action bank is already enough.

For what it’s worth – though I’ve only been playing Fallen London for two weeks (though I subscribed on my first day) and therefore don’t have a very informed opinion – when I subscribed, I had actually hoped that the candles would recharge independently (meaning 2 actions per 10 minutes) and was disappointed to find that the rate was the same. Though after two weeks of playing, a deeper card bank does sound awesome, and actually an even better option than the faster recharge rate I originally wished for. …You know, assuming we suddenly had a choice, of course! The extra candle /is/ already a very nice addition. :)

I’m wondering if Connected: Gracious Widow is good for anything but exchanging for Connected: Urchins and reducing nightmares.

I know it’s one of the lower tier connections but… sigh. When I neglect Connected: Great Game or Criminals (my least favorites by according to game character and personal taste) the game lets me know it. There’s a drawback when those connected cards roll around ad I can’t do anything with them. Some courses of action are unavailable to me. I think that’s fair, challenging and game-like.

But if I neglect Connected: Gracious Widow, then I can’t trade it for Urchin favor and reduced nightmares. That’s all — and if it’s too low, I can just grind it up at the top of Spite. That seems ineffectual of a shadowy Victorian yakuza queen, does it not? Even the Duchess gets to be the gatekeeper of Court.

Having said that, my highest stats are Watchful at 160 and Persuasive at 150, and my Shadowy is pretty bad (80-105)… so maybe there’s some POSI stuff I’m missing.

Anyways, thanks for reading.
edited by Lord Dopamine on 7/31/2014