Favours and Renown: Criminals

[color=#C2B280]Today replacing Connected: Criminals with two new qualities: Renown, which tracks your fame or infamy, and Favours, each of which represents a significant debt owed. Connected: Criminals is used in hundreds of places, so it’s going to take us a while to make all the changes; some branches might become unavailable for a short while in the interim. Please bear with us for a bit.

If you’d like to know what these changes entail, there’s some more detail here.

Edit: this is now done. Your Connected: Criminals will remain for a bit until we’re sure nothing went awry with the Favours/Renown conversion; if you notice anything else that seems strange or broken, though, do drop us an email at support@failbettergames.com.[/color]
edited by Flyte on 8/26/2015

And it started.

What I’ve noticed so far:

• Can’t sell secrets anymore to Criminals in the Flit (Hell and Revolutionaries options remain).[/li][li]Can’t trade Favours with Criminals in the Flit card (Revolutionaries and Urchins options remain).[/li][li]Can’t play the Implausible Penance card if already at hand (presumably it can’t be drawn).

The option to spend a little Connected: Criminals in your lodgings to force-draw An Implausible Penance is also gone, appropriately enough. I was just about to dump the last of my occasionally-accumulating Connected: Criminals, although I’ve probably dumped enough to avoid Renown.

The Old Bone Skeleton Key has lost its “raise Criminals between 10 and 15” option and now has a new option (about competing in a Topsy-Trot, which is what it sounds like) that looks like it’ll cost a minimum of three favours to increase your renown (but consume up to 7 if you have them) and be available until criminal Renown 8+. Presumably there may be higher-level, more expensive options unlocked as that quality rises.

Excited!

Oh, and now I’ve got 4 Favours: Criminals in addition to my roughly 45-46 CP of Connected: Criminals. So it’s maybe 10-15 CP of Connected being converted into a Favour, which is cheaper than I’d thought (although possibly just a one-time exchange rate, not an indicator of future value or difficulty). UPDATE: alts with 17 Connected (~150-170 CP) and 15 Connected (~120-135 CP) ended up with 6 Favours, so it’s not a linear CP-to-Favours exchange.

Carnival sideshow option has changed: looks like it gives you a Favour for two tickets and two actions but only if your Renown is 4 or less.
edited by metasynthie on 8/26/2015

The ‘Crime or punishment’ conflict card was whisked out of my hand some hours ago and has not yet returned. I’ve got the main Connected: Criminals card in-hand now and nothing has yet changed (it still uses Connected: Criminals rather than favours).

I’m rather pleased with the 30 renown that I’ve been given (along with 7 favours - I had Connected at 204), though looking at the Old Bone Skeleton Key option, it won’t be going any higher: among other requirements is a Shadowy of 1224! I see now how players will be effectively prohibited from building up insane levels of renown once the new system is in place.
edited by colinsapherson on 8/26/2015

[color=#C2B280]This is now done. Your Connected: Criminals will remain for a bit until we’re sure nothing went awry during the Favours/Renown conversion; if you notice anything else that seems strange or broken, though, do drop us an email at support@failbettergames.com.[/color]

Ah drat, my only source of Connected: Criminals appears to be gone. Is there going to be some future improvement to The Face Tailor or is this it’s intended new function?

On the card An implausible penance, I went for Pugilism and Politics, and I choose Beating the minister. I succeeded the dangerous challenge and got the rewards, but my Favours: Criminals didn’t change at all.

If anyone is interested, I have echoed the Topsy-Trot in my Journal.

Hello, can I please get my “sell information to criminals” storylet in the Flit back? It was too good even without giving criminal connections.
Thanks.

[quote=Danko]Hello, can I please get my &quotsell information to criminals&quot storylet in the Flit back? It was too good even without giving criminal connections.
Thanks.[/quote]

Seconded. I sometimes used that option to gain connected:criminals, but more often that was just a happy side-effect from the shadowy boost. I don’t really need it for any of my alts any more, but it was very handy at the time.

Increasing Renown gives Heartless loss, but will bump your Steadfast to 15.

I had Connected 160, not a bad score, and that only got me Renown 23. So if your want to max out your Renown, your quirks are going to take a serious hit. Probably ameliorable with the connection item Quirk options for those whose Quirks are below 16.

One stone in thousand now gives only 160 souls for 1 favor, making the direct monetary value of a favor disappointingly small (about 150 pences to people who can 100% AotB on the profitable side)
edited by xKiv on 8/26/2015

[quote=dov]And it started.

What I’ve noticed so far:

• Can’t sell secrets anymore to Criminals in the Flit (Hell and Revolutionaries options remain).[/li][li]Can’t trade Favours with Criminals in the Flit card (Revolutionaries and Urchins options remain).[/li][li]Can’t play the Implausible Penance card if already at hand (presumably it can’t be drawn).

[/quote]
I had the Implausible Penance Card in my hand at the time the update came. It automatically converted my Connected: Criminals into Favors, 7 to be exact. I was able to play the card without any issues, though I have not drawn it since.
edited by Nerevarine on 8/26/2015
edited by Nerevarine on 8/26/2015

Call in Favours in the Flit, on the other hand, now gives 900 Moon-Pearls for 3 Favours, which is quite a bit better than that. It may be that cashing in more Favours scales rewards? On implausible penance, there are now three options that require only one Favour, two that require three Favours, and one each at five and seven.

Has anyone drawn the new Alleys of London: the Criminals card? It doesn’t have a requirement to play, does it?

I’ve seen the Criminals faction card and saw a new option on it, but it requires Favours 0-6 and that account has 7. It does not require anything to draw.

The new option on the faction card gives you one favour and a point of Suspicion. Only requirement is not having 7 favours already.

Oops. I completely cashed out my 5 Criminal Favors by using an Implausible Pennance - and note that when you chose an option, it results in adding a new card to your draw deck (thus no more 'you’ll lose this opportunity if you back out of it). It now appears as a usual card in your deck.