Favorite Names for Companions?

Both for new inspiration and amusement, I am curious: What are some of your favorite names for companions?

I’ll start, since I’ve made it a thing to come up with amusing names for all of my companions:

Mystic Raven Advisor: &quotMr. Feathers&quot

Araby Fighting Weasel: &quotFeducci&quot

Parabolan Kitten: &quotThe Eater-Of-Strings&quot

Blemmigan Pendant: &quotJudgemental Cap&quot

Celebrated Weasel: &quotBurberry Rarebit&quot
As deliciously British as they come!

Hungover Terrier: &quotTipples&quot

Cardsharp Monkey: &quotAce&quot

Cheerful Goldfish: &quotSunray&quot

Salt Weasel: &quotNeathsnow&quot

Talkative Rattus Faber: “Yes! I know!&quot
He heard it said to him all the time, so now responds to it like a name.

A Stiff-Backed Young Lady: &quotThe Penultimate Constable&quot
It’s her undercover pseudonym, about as good as her undercover disguise…

Antedeluvian Ushbati: &quotA fond token of remembering&quot
That one is tied to an IC roleplaying reference :-)

Luxuriantly Coiffed Sorrow Spider: &quotOne of Six&quot
That one is a hint for my character’s secret backstory.

Esoteric Accomplice: &quotCharlotte&quot
I always have to work in those spider references!

A Ghostly Presence: &quotEmelia Ricoletti&quot

Privateer Charter Clerk: &quotCheng I Sao&quot

Secular Missionary: &quotJoan of Arc&quot

So what names do you like? Feel free to list the ones you are the most proud of here!
[li]
[/li][li]
edited by Six Handed Merchant on 3/10/2018

Ooh, always like hearing how people name their Companion collections! I’ve tried to come up with…interesting or thematic names and titles for my companions that emphasize the weirdness and disparity of the Neath and London, as well as give them a bit of character. My end goal is to eventually name all of them which has, uh, not happened yet. But some of my favorites… (spoiler for length and potentially lore)

[spoiler]Scuttering Squad: &quotSturmratten Blackburn, Shock Rats&quot
Rattus Faber Bandit-Chief: &quotMaximilian, Dauntless Hauptratte&quot I’d always thought of the Scuttering Squad as more a small army rather than like…five rats at most, and I wanted something both visually funny and weird even beyond rats that talk. From that came the idea of rattus faber in Prussian uniforms and pickelhaubes with tiny rifles and machine-guns. I was torn between Sturmratten and Rattenkrieg, but eventually decided on the former; their captain, of course, needed to be a Hauptratte rather than a Hauptmann. Floating somewhere around my old writing snippets are also their rivals, a Napoleonic-France themed rattus faber company called La Grande Malice.

Disgraced Rattus Faber Bandit-Chief: &quotMenelaus, Traveller Returning&quot This part of the Plaster Face story is what convinced me that Fallen London was a setting and game worth sticking around for. I honored his sacrifice for over a year. When I finally clicked that Fate option, I figured his title needed to be as mythological as the nature of his fall, redemption, and return.

Ocular Toadbeast: &quotArgos, Oblivious Knot-Oracle&quot Don’t you tell me that it’s not a knot-oracle because I see the picture and I see the description of those things in Sunless Sea and it’s obviously meant to be a knot-oracle. Called Argos because too many eyes eh? And it does nothing but eat everything.

Mystic Raven Advisor: &quotHuginn, Esoteric Idealist&quot
Devious Raven Adivsor: &quotMuninn, Abstruse Empiricist&quot Once you’ve ground all the way to getting a pair of Mystic and Devious Raven Advisors, you need fitting thematic names to reflect the duality of birds or some nonsense. I settled on Huginn and Muninn even though I’m not a huge Nordic mythology fan because, well, they were one of the few pairs I could think of. Their titles are funnier, I think, referring instead to different philosophies that became prominent in the 19th century as well as the notion that the Mystic advisor is more poetical and high-minded while the Devious advisor is more focused on profit and the material.

Shimmering Songster: &quotBeelzebub, False Fly&quot Because it’s a dream fly and not a regular fly, eh? Terrible jokes are the best I tell you.

A Reactionary Tomb-Colonist: &quotAj Tenamit Itzamatul, Third City Republican&quot Ever since I first went to the Nadir and found the card with the &quotRebels That Will Not Rise&quot option on it, I have been fascinated by the idea that the Revolutionaries of the Third City were in fact classic republicans. And when I saw this Companion in the first Election - and when the text for obtaining them references plans for a Fourth City catapult they never got to use - I decided immediately the backstory for this companion had to be a survivor all the way from the Third City. Why this is a favorite though is because it made me have to look for translations of the Q’eqchi’ language and Mayan names. Aj Tenamit, as far as I can find, roughly translates to &quotcitizen&quot - much like players may title themselves as Citizens for more egalitarian sentiment, Itzamatul takes on the title of Aj Tenamit to proclaim his status as a free citizen, not a subject.

A Restless Clay-Man: &quotZipacna, Ancient Survivor&quot Clay Men may have been around for as long as the First City (depending on when they first developed from their creator), which means the other three cities before the Fifth may well have had knowledge and access to them. What would they make of these beings of Clay? Zipacna continues the theme of &quotreally old Third-City era characters&quot because I feel that period needs more love and lore, and did not name himself: instead, he was given his name via the shouts and cries of Third City inhabitants, shortly after their Fall.

Rubbery Bell-Ringer: &quot-Struthsootharuth-, Molluscoid Penitent&quot We may never hear other Rubbery People speak, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have names dammit! -Struthsootharuth- was the first Rubbery name I came up with and that makes it a favorite for me, if only because I can still imagine that as an identifying sound that could reasonably come from an anthropomorphic squid-person without being what the anthropocentric denizens of the Neath would consider ‘language’. Also, it is darn hard to come up with synonyms for ‘Rubbery’ without repeating oneself.

Extravagantly-Titled Tigress: &quotUjjvala-Begum Razyia of the Boiling Delta, Resurgent Court-Royal&quot When I got my first Bengal Tigress, I knew she had to have an appropriate Indian name from Bengali - and Kaalratri it was. When the Extravagantly-Titled Tigress was made available, I knew she also needed an amazing title in addition to another name. Much like Aj Tenamit Itzamatul, this made me research just what were some appropriate historic titles for nobility across India. Begum was a historic title for female royalty or nobility in different Southeast Asian states, and Ujjvala roughly corresponds to ‘bright, shining, clear’ - so Razyia’s title is more than historical, but can also fit as a Neathy strain of nobility within the Court of the Wakeful Eye. I’m pretty sure this is also the longest title of any Companion I’ve named.

Canny Costermonger: &quotMatilda, Riverside Entrepreneur&quot The first human Companion I ever named. I wanted my Companions to reflect a wide variety of nationalities, both for variety and to suit a still-cosmopolitan-if-dwindled-and-Fallen London, and names are a great way to do that. While Matilda could refer to a variety of backgrounds, in my head-canon she’s of Neathy-Romanichal ethnicity, born shortly after the Fall to parents trapped in London when it happened.

Ex-Privateer Charter Clerk: &quotGhoa, Former Wrecker&quot Named after the Zubmariner expansion for Sunless Sea came out. The Ex-Privateer Charter Clerk: a fairly boring character initially, to my eyes. Reframing the character as a retired Khanagian pirate and Wrecker who still occasionally puts on her laquered chitin-plate diving suit and harpoon gun? Bam, now more flavorful.

Pentecost Ape: &quotPompeia, Disgraced Majordomo&quot The Pentecost Predicament was not the best Exceptional Story, I will give you that. But it introduced a great naming scheme for my monkeys (though the artwork for that ES made them look more like chimps which ARE apes, so…Neath taxonomy is weird I tell you) in the form of Ancient Greco-Roman Leaders and Figures. No idea what to name the quiet adorable one that just straight up murdered somebody or the observant one that learned to blackmail and steal secrets to ruin people without laying a hand on them, but Pompeia seemed a suitably impressive name for the only monkey you can have that explicitly has at least one human soul.

Fairly Tame Sorrow-Spider: &quotTree of Liberty, Blooming Spider-Council&quot
Luxuriantly Coiffed Sorrow-Spider: &quotAspect of Liberty, Senior Council-Member&quot One sorrow-spider does not a Council make. But 1000 spiders, I should think, makes a start. Ever since I encountered the first council, I just…really wanted one as a Companion, because they sound really cool! Even though it’s American rather than English the name makes for a great Revolutionary pun on the whole &quotTree of…&quot naming theme as well.
And although not a Companion per say…
Boneless Consort: &quot-Shhlorshorathoo-, Devoted Cephalopoid&quot Hotshot the character may fool around for entertainment, but at the end of the day there’s only one being with which he’s willing to share his doubts, fears, and regrets about the path he’s taken in life. And Cephalopoid was the last Rubbery synonym I could think of.
[/spoiler]

Bandaged Raven: Mum, short for mummy.

Cheerful Goldfish: Lox, because I am mean :D

Devious Henchman: Vinnie, because only Mafia thugs are ever named Vinnie LOL

Disgraced Rattus Faber Bandit Chief: Sundance, after Butch Cassidy’s friend.

Fairly Tame Sorrow-Spider: Mordred, named for a Stephen King character.

Philosophical Raven Advisor: Socrates, for obvious reasons.

Reprehensible Lizard: Drake, for all lizards are dragons at heart.

Scuttering Squad: The Spider Brigade, because the icon could be a bug’s face if you squint a bit and rats riding spiders is a cool image.

Sulky Bat: Despair, since that’s the step after sulking.

I have yet to name the rest . . .
edited by GuesssWho on 3/11/2018

Devious Raven Advisor: Nox

Well-Scrubbed Urchin: Hugh (like Hugo)

Fabulous Accomplice: Ophelia

My Minister of Enigmas is “Good Kitty”

I chose all of my companion names carefully, but the one that amuses me the most is my Talkative Rattus Faber: Polonius.

[quote=Six Handed Merchant]Both for new inspiration and amusement, I am curious: What are some of your favorite names for companions?

Araby Fighting Weasel: &quotFeducci&quot[/quote]

Funny … but does a weasel really deserve such a horrid name? ;-P

[quote=Six Handed Merchant]
Parabolan Kitten: &quotThe Eater-Of-Strings&quot

Blemmigan Pendant: &quotJudgemental Cap&quot [/quote]

I especially enjoy these two!

Working Rat: Brown Jenkin

Cardsharp Monkey: Hoyle

Cheerful Goldfish: Lord Nelson

Araby Fighting-Weasel: Laurence

Albino Rat: Mrs Frisby

Talkative Rattus Faber: Lenny

Grubby Kitten: Rumpleteazer

Pink-Painted Cat: Mungojerrie

Rose-Bearing Magot: Margot

Midnight Matriarch: Jennyanydots

Ravenous Henchman: Renfield

Parabolan Kitten: καθρέφτες

I may as well add some of mine. I’ll stick to the ones that could be comprehensible by others and that I think are the best.

Bitter Saker Falcon: Temujin

Dark-Carapaced Crustacean:
Shelley

Enthusiastic Visitor:
Forrest Gump

Ex-Privateer Charter Clerk: Anne Bonney

Midnight Matriarch: Nuit

Minister of Culture:
Wyeth

Minister of Enigmas: Walsingham

Minister of State Affairs: Winston

Minister of War: Wellington

Pirate Poet: Galatea

Scuttering Squad: F Troop

Unfinished Hat: Trilby
edited by cathyr19355 on 3/15/2018

Haunted Looking Dog: Ruh Roh Raggy

Rubbery Campanologist: Surprise Triangle Solo

Weeping Doll: Miss Dimples, Super Urchin Interrogator Extraordinaire

Complaisant Frost Moth: Dang it, Grandpa
edited by Addis Rook on 3/14/2018

Author Appreciation Society: The Fervent Falk Fan Force

Noman (RIP): Icarus Falk

Scuttering Palace Guard: The Muranian Exiles

Cheerful Goldfish: Fleet Admiral Bubbles

Alluring Accomplice: Françoise de Franval

Disgraced Rattus-Faber Bandit Chief: Skabb the Forsworn

Utterly Livid Bat: Shade Rage-Diver

Araby Fighting-Weasel: Feyd-Rautha

Racing Slug of Fine Pedigree: Dûsh

Somnolent Hyena: Pukerat the Unclean (I’ll give 100 rats to the first person to get this reference)

EDIT: Reflected some recent…promotions.
edited by Daedalus_Falk on 11/1/2018

Passionario’s list of named things:

Imperattus Faberiosa (Rattus Faber Bandit-Chief)
The Fleets Meet (Bifurcated Owl)
Goat Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (Übergoat)
Promise (Secular Missionary, Renewed)
Eglantine Fox (Fabulous Accomplice and Esoteric Accomplice)
Disappointment (Celebrated Artist’s Model) [gone]
Eschaton Immanentized (Newspaper)
Nothing To Fear But Each Other (The Regard of Generous Princess)

Bishop Nero’s assorted list of acquaintances of different species

Big Cat (Extravagantly-Tilted Tigress)
Bigger Cat (Minister of Culture)
That Fat Cat (Midnight Matriarch of the Menagerie of Roses)
Starveling Cat But Cuter (Parabola Kitten)
Old Yeller (Submerged Rector)
Ἀμάλθεια (Übergoat)
Preacher Thomas (Pious Henchman)
Acadia (Esoteric Accomplice)
Yer Honour (Unassuming Judge)
Jack (Salt Weasel) (In reference to a specific interpretation of a certain Ripper, because the Salt Weasel thinks you’re its mother)
Jonathan (Well-Scrubbed Urchin)
edited by Nero Keller on 3/18/2018

Will be updated later but for now, here is Reinol’s little entourage:

Dreaming Society(Appreciation Society)
Paracelsus(Mystic Raven Advisor)
Nigel Thornburry Harlington III (Blemmigan Secretary)
William Carter (Ghostly Presence)
The 77th Battalion(Scuttering Squad)
London’s Reflection (Newspaper)
edited by Reinol von Lorica on 3/18/2018

My Mystic Raven Advisor and Devious Raven Advisor are Mulder and Scully, respectively.

[quote=Hotshot Blackburn]Ocular Toadbeast: &quotArgos, Oblivious Knot-Oracle&quot

Don’t you tell me that it’s not a knot-oracle because I see the picture and I see the description of those things in Sunless Sea and it’s obviously meant to be a knot-oracle. Called Argos because too many eyes eh? And it does nothing but eat everything.[/quote]One of the possible actions for &quotDe Gustibus&quot is &quotHunt knot-oracle spawn in Bugsby’s Marshes&quot, which re-used the toadbeast’s artwork.

[quote=Hotshot Blackburn]A Reactionary Tomb-Colonist: &quotAj Tenamit Itzamatul, Third City Republican&quot
Ever since I first went to the Nadir and found the card with the &quotRebels That Will Not Rise&quot option on it, I have been fascinated by the idea that the Revolutionaries of the Third City were in fact classic republicans. And when I saw this Companion in the first Election - and when the text for obtaining them references plans for a Fourth City catapult they never got to use - I decided immediately the backstory for this companion had to be a survivor all the way from the Third City. Why this is a favorite though is because it made me have to look for translations of the Q’eqchi’ language and Mayan names. Aj Tenamit, as far as I can find, roughly translates to &quotcitizen&quot - much like players may title themselves as Citizens for more egalitarian sentiment, Itzamatul takes on the title of Aj Tenamit to proclaim his status as a free citizen, not a subject.[/quote]The exceptional story All Things Must End touches on the original tomb-colonists and their societal legacies. Writing and gameplay are both very nice, too. Well worth the Fate.

You might also want to have a look around in the Temple Club if you haven’t already; there’s a thread for requesting invitations over in the social-actions subforum. The Society/Tomb-Colonists conflict card is also related to political action in the Tomb-Colonies.

My list is still quite short.

Preening Macaw: Rodion
Haunted-Looking Dog: Shuck

I admit, I’m fond of Hubris’ Quiet Deviless, “Dishonoria”.

My Gentleman Butler, Dubious.

… No, really.

I’ve been naming all my video-game companions &quotDubious&quot ever since I came up with him.

This is a good one.

Scuttering Squad: &quotThose damned rats&quot
Dreamy Raven Advisor: Dream
Wary Raven Advisor: Nightmare
Talkative Rattus Faber: We don’t speak his name here.
Working Rat: Geoff

That’s about it.