(FATE-LOCKED) Finishing School Mechanics

As far as I am aware, Sinning Jenny’s Finishing School is the first Fate-locked carousel in Fallen London proper. It has a delightful amount of complexity to it, but this makes it rather difficult to quantify and parse on your own. There are a few questions I have that I’d like to answer:

• Once you have concluded the business of the Empress’s Shadow, does choosing certain applicants make any difference at all beyond the instant-fire cards? If so, what?[/li][li]Are the results of concluding the carousel determined by student body or random chance? Both? Neither? They seem constant to me, but I haven’t been keeping track too closely so far.[/li][li]Which concluding option is most valuable, in usefulness, item rarity, or resale value?[/li][li]Are there any Rare Successes or similarly easy-to-miss aspects of the carousel?

edited by Saklad5 on 1/6/2017

Choosing students still matters after the story. To conclude the school year you have to select one student for a final examination. There is a luck based challenge to possibly get different connected increases or a favor. Which student you pick determines the faction. Other guaranteed reward options unlock for certain students if you’ve played Lost In Reflections and The Gift. The students you pick don’t have an effect on how you profit off them after graduation though.

I haven’t really done Jenny school much since finishing the fate story, but I’m fairly sure it’s a poor carousel for echoes. You can however use it to grind favours & connections, which otherwise need cards, though there is still a luck check involved.

I’m not sure which pupil you choose at the end gives what, apart from (unsurprisingly) getting revolutionary connections from the anarchist.

I’m guessing the orphan = urchins, zailor = docks, bohemian…yeah.

But the rest, not so obvious, though maybe Foreign Office/great game. Do 'em all, see what happens, let us know!
edited by yetanotherone on 1/6/2017

The mix of applicants still matters as far as what cards are added to the deck. If you have any unsuitable students, then autofire problem cards will be added in to stall your progress. If you have no more than one unsuitable student, then a couple of beneficial cards are added to the deck.

The rewards from putting your class to work after the final exam have been completely steady, with having them drum up donations being the more profitable of the two. If there are any rare successes I haven’t run across them yet.

The guaranteed options based on previous fate-locked stories, such as from the Zailor and the Surface Visitor, give a 2.5 echo item, if I remember correctly (don’t have the actions at the moment to go through and check things). Otherwise, you’re looking at what is likely a 50/50 (maybe 60/40) chance of getting connections/favours. I’ve been using the Surface Visitor to grind Tomb Colony favours, but the guaranteed items are more profitable. That said, at best with this carousel you’re maybe getting ~1.32 EPA, so unless you haven’t unlocked any end game grinds yet, you likely have better things to do if pure profit is your aim. Even considering the opportunity deck refill you get for entering and leaving the school.

[quote=yetanotherone]I haven’t really done Jenny school much since finishing the fate story, but I’m fairly sure it’s a poor carousel for echoes. You can however use it to grind favours & connections, which otherwise need cards, though there is still a luck check involved.

I’m not sure which pupil you choose at the end gives what, apart from (unsurprisingly) getting revolutionary connections from the anarchist.

I’m guessing the orphan = urchins, zailor = docks, bohemian…yeah.

But the rest, not so obvious, though maybe Foreign Office/great game. Do 'em all, see what happens, let us know!
edited by yetanotherone on 1/6/2017[/quote]
The Final Exam opportunity cards tell you what you stand to gain before you click, so it doesn’t take long to explore all the options. They are pretty easy to guess. The surprising one is Surface Visitor -> Tomb Colony, which is also the most significant one since those favors aren’t easy to come by. Everything else is exactly what you would expect (although I was mildly surprised by Nun -> Church, since I didn’t think it was the same Church).

The items that you gain from the cash-ins are not particularly valuable, but as far as I’m aware they did not previously have repeatable grinds. They have existing (also fate-locked) sources, but I don’t think those sources were repeatable without repeated fate expenditures. This isn’t particularly impactful since they don’t have uses other than selling, but y’know… I’m sure someone wants 777 of the things.

I keep selecting the surface visitor to “grind” tomb-colonies favors, and of course to refill my opportunity deck. I do find the variety refreshing though, as most other carousels repeat in exactly the same way every time. So finishing school it is.

Can someone give me a bit of advice? I completed &quotLost in Reflections&quot with both my characters, yet neither one of them seems to have any of the several versions of the &quotParis&quot quality required to unlock the special ending with the Surface Visitor.

It’s been so long since that Exceptional Story that I can’t really remember what endings you had to pick to retain a &quotParis: XYZ&quot quality, but I’m absolutely sure that I chose different endings for the two characters (that’s the whole point of having an alt, after all!). I’m thinking of re-playing &quotLost in Reflections&quot both so that I can refresh my memory on that lore and see the extra snippet of lore in the Finishing School.

My question is, what conclusions in &quotLost in Reflections&quot do I need to avoid to make sure of unlocking the option in the Finishing School, and not wasting the expenditure of Fate to re-play the ES? On one character, I apparently smashed July’s mirror, and on the other, I don’t seem to have any story quality at all left over from the end of the ES. (Is that even supposed to happen?)

At the end of Lost in Reflections, there is one option that very explicitly states it leaves “Dreams of the Future” intact. You will not be able to miss it.

You can also choose not to select one of the endings, or delay the choice indefinitely.

[quote=PSGarak]At the end of Lost in Reflections, there is one option that very explicitly states it leaves &quotDreams of the Future&quot intact. You will not be able to miss it.

You can also choose not to select one of the endings, or delay the choice indefinitely.[/quote]

Thank you!

I don’t suppose anyone could post a Journal entry of the Dreams of the Future option? I’m personally opposed to that particular future, so I’d rather not reset even if it was free.

The 50% chance for a favor at the end of the cycle is good, but the true value is in instantly refilling your card deck. Great if you’re pulling your hair out trying to draw a particular card and have an abundance of extra actions.

Also, I did play through The Gift a long time ago, but I can’t select the relevant option. I assume there was some choice I was supposed to make differently. Does anyone know what it was?

It will either be on the surface visitor card, or the zailor card, depending on which ending you got.

Here you go.

Not really relevant to the mechanics, but I heard that this school has a lot of tie-ins. Are those located in the story itself or only on the cards/actions from the carousel?

Kind of both. Having played &quotFrequently Deceased&quot will give you an 8th pupil. Having played &quotThe Gift&quot or &quotLost in Reflection&quot will give additional options on the Exam-cards for three of your pupils. Those are not luck-based, though, because you can be 100% sure to have those cards when it’s time for the exams.

There is also a tie-in option with your encounter with Jenny during Hallowmas at the beginning of the Finishing School storyline (or does that count as part of &quotEmpress’ Shadow&quot? I’m not sure.)

I’m just the same; I couldn’t select the relevant option so I went back to re-play The Gift.

Of course, I was an idiot and I clearly selected the wrong option, because I got the same damn option again. I think you’re supposed to allow yourself to be eaten. At the very least, I got the Brooding dude’s/Dock favours card for trying to convince her to let me go.

There are two different options related to The Gift, one for each of the two endings.

The encounter was during the Fruits of the Zee festival, not Hallowmas.

Yes! Spot on.

Has anyone made a list of all the potential interactions unique to The Feast? So far I’ve found:

Zailor and Bohemian, Zailor and Anarchist, Anarchist and Foreign Officer, and then the generic failure/success option.