Fate-Locked Content

They’re not very good if you’re looking just for echoes per action no, but the writing in them is rather brilliant I thought. Especially the rubbery pupil, lots of subtle nods to their real purpose.

[quote=LukeMcMillan]In the climb to become a POSI, if you do not have 100 in some characteristics you can skip that requirement with a Fate option. If one chooses the latter, does it just skip the requirement for that characteristic or it also gives something more?
[do not need to know what, just if those Fate options are interesting for more than just make the climb to POSI easier][/quote]
Not really. You do get a quality called [color=#ffffff]“Entangled with the Legal Profession” which is a nice way to say you’ve been bribing your way to the top[/color], but that quality has seen no further use in the game yet

Including Connected: Masters, if you’re very, very lucky and equally patient.[/quote]

Really? Do tell; I went shroom-hopping once, but I didn’t really have high enough stats for it, so I never saw much of the content.

[quote=Jack Vaux-Harrowden]
Really? Do tell; I went shroom-hopping once, but I didn’t really have high enough stats for it, so I never saw much of the content.[/quote]

It’s a rare success from winning the first place. Can’t remember is there a limit for the increase though.

I just bought the foreign office, and I’m hooked. from a lore standpoint, which is a more interesting side? And also, what should I buy next??? Im hooked~

The Solitary Glim-sculptor is offering me the choice of either glim or the key to Flute Street. If I choose Flute Street, does anyone remember if I get transported there automatically? I’m saving a couple of cards and I’d like to keep them. If I choose the glim, does the opportunity card return so I can choose Flute Street later? Sorry for all the questions :)

You don’t get transported to Flute Street instantly (in fact, there’s a quite enjoyable quest sequence the first time you head there). I don’t know what happens if you take the glim, but as phrased it sounds like it closes off the Flute Street plot, which would be a shame to do.

I believe that if you take the other option, you’ll just get offered the card again later.

I have a community request regarding the Diocesan Intrigue story, if anyone’s played it recently. I’ve just been taking Hubris through it, and noticed new options when one meets the [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Regretful Soldier[/color]. I’m fairly sure that when I first played that card, the choice unlocked by [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]having returned his wife’s soul[/color] (which I had) wasn’t available, and would dearly like to see what it says. Can anyone PM me the text?

I could use that text too - It was actually what got me to stop delaying and purchase the lost souls story. Unfortunately, by the time I had finished the unlock, I had accidentally finished the Diocesan intrigue arc (well, to the content wall at least) and never got to see that text.

Has anyone paid the 15 Fate in Polythreme? Is it worth it? What would you compare the value to? I’m not looking for spoiler, I just want to know if it’s something I should do since I have some extra money right now.

An interesting question. I haven’t taken it, although as it clearly states what it does, that’s not necessary. Taking this option gives you a rather hefty Progress bump - enough to guarantee being able to succeed on any end of cycle choice. However, as it’s only one end of cycle result, it’s not a good use of Fate - you won’t have the bonus on the next cycle. It effectively gives you either goods or lets you easily unlocks a useful card in Polythreme, although if you know what you’re doing, you can work your way to doing that anyway. It’s just a shortcut and gives you nothing that you couldn’t otherwise do yourself, but with more effort.
It’s hardly valueless, just not (in my opinion) worth the cover charge. Since it takes so much effort to get to Polythreme in the first place (probably 40 or so actions each way), you’re going to want to spend a goodly amount of time there. As such, its benefits are only a small bump in your time there, rather than anything significant.

Re: Peculiar Personal Enhancement:

I’m not clear on the spoiler policy about fate-locked stuff here (the forum rules don’t say a thing about it), but can someone please give me some pointers as I’m feeling kind of frustrated by this? I think I’ve found only three and all but one have been pretty minor (I will gladly specify behind spoiler space if someone tells me it’s okay to do so).
(edited for typos)
edited by an_ocelot on 4/13/2012

They’re not branches - with one notable exception, they’re just an extra option on some storylets/cards. To be a branch, it would require there be a series of further storylets available as a result. So, maybe they’re mostly twigs? But they’re all pretty minor really.

[color=rgb(51, 0, 153)]The guidelines are that generally speaking we prefer fate locked content to not be discussed in any detail.[/color]

I didn’t think it was worth the Fate. If you’ve got nothing else to do and like to make sure you have everything possible and can easily afford the Fate than go for it. Otherwise, eh. If they add more content to it, maybe, but as it stands I found it one of the more disappointing Fate expenditures. Better than the Rubbery Mysteries and Adopt-ish Daughter, no where near as good as Flute Street or Theological Husbandry.

The question is irrelevant as, unless anything has changed in the Fate part of the Foreign Office since I took it, it’s a unique thing in the game - a compulsory expenditure of Fate.

We were kicked out of Court and told that at some time in the near future, we will be able to visit the Carnelian Coast. Some time later we are told that a part of the delay is that we need permission to visit there - a passport if you will - and that this can only be obtained from the Foreign Office. Upon visiting the Foreign Office, we discover that there are a set of ‘regular’ storylets and also a Fate-locked line. Further, we are told in order to gain this permission, we must take the Fate route. In short, in order to continue this storyline, Fate must be spent, else we must spend an eternity fruitlessly traipsing the halls of the Foreign Office.

The Fate route also provides some lore (although honestly, it raises more questions than it answers) and the choice of Companions or Home Comforts. So, by and large, I’d say that it’s not too bad, if rather short for the cost.

To more recent players: Has anything changed in this respect? I received my relevant quality at the end of the Fate line. Is that still the case?

[quote=travellersside]The question is irrelevant as, unless anything has changed in the Fate part of the Foreign Office since I took it, it’s a unique thing in the game - a compulsory expenditure of Fate.

We were kicked out of Court and told that at some time in the near future, we will be able to visit the Carnelian Coast. Some time later we are told that a part of the delay is that we need permission to visit there - a passport if you will - and that this can only be obtained from the Foreign Office. Upon visiting the Foreign Office, we discover that there are a set of ‘regular’ storylets and also a Fate-locked line. Further, we are told in order to gain this permission, we must take the Fate route. In short, in order to continue this storyline, Fate must be spent, else we must spend an eternity fruitlessly traipsing the halls of the Foreign Office.
[/quote]

Except we’ve always been told that Fate content would never be necessary for continuing the game. Failbetter has made many promises about never needing to buy Fate. I rather suspect that once the Coast opens up more content will be added to the Foreign Office so that we may obtain our permission.

Hm. Having just finished the Secrets Framed in Gold storyline, I was rather disappointed with the end. I chose to [color=#ffffff]remove the last layer,[/color] but nothing really happened - I expected something more, well, secretive, especially considering the consequences.

Really? I finished that one recently, and made the same decision after telling myself I wouldn’t. I thought it was really painful and haunting. For me, the narrative payoff wasn’t the ending itself, but the fact that you are making a choice between doing something you know is horrible and choosing not to know a secret.