Fate-Locked Content

I have only purchased two to date: Long Lost Daughter and Flute Street.

The long-lost daughter was disappointing. The story was interesting enough, but the first third was just choosing a back story (that was quickly irrelevant) and then the story just concludes. Unlike the soul smuggling one, there are no further tie-ins with the rest of the game at all. I wish I had chosen differently; but the long lost daughter idea appealed to me. I still have some hope that future content will make it relevant somehow.

Flute street was different; it was interesting, it remains accessible later for future visits, and it has at least one tie-in with other content so far (even if that tie in is also fate locked!) I enjoyed that one much more than the long-lost daughter; and it was a lower cost to boot.
edited by TheDaveEBZ on 1/3/2012

Something I’m wondering: I’ve seen a couple fate locked options for things in the past, but passed them by as I can’t really afford it. Is there any fate-locked content that I can miss that I’d deeply regret? Or are all the missable ones simply more lucrative versions of other options?

I’d say you’d definitely regret missing Flute Street and Theological Husbandry (at the Labyrinth of Tigers)

But do those options close off eventually, or can I just leave them be and do other things until I acquire fate?

No, they don’t close off. It’s entirely up to you at what point you do this.

The key to Flute Street costs 18 Fate, once. You can return there as often as you like. No further payments.

Theological Husbandry is a storylet at the Labyrinth of Tigers, and once you’ve unlocked it, it’s yours. To be precise: the first part of the storylet is free, you can then decide if it’s worth continuing for 20 Fate (it is!).

Note that these things are for players with qualities far past 100, so you’re probably still a long way off…

Ok. Yeah, my main concern was over any content that I may miss, either through levelling past where it’s available, or by choosing a non-fate option

Hmm, I’ve been contemplating buying the Secrets in Gold storylet, it just screams interesting every time it pops up. It’s either that or saving fate till I get enough for an exceptional friend subscription again.

I’m currently in Fluke street, and there is a storylet option available to me that costs 100 Fate. Has anyone pursued this? If so, do you consider it worthwhile?

The relatively audacious pricing has intrigued me, as has the monstrous possibilities of the action in question. I would be disappointed though if it amounts to little more than a stat boost. Hopefully there’s more to this than a purely quantitative gain?

Unless it has changed, I am sorry to say that it offers much less than a stat boost. I very much regret having taken that option.

[quote=Hyoscine]I’m currently in Fluke street, and there is a storylet option available to me that costs 100 Fate. Has anyone pursued this? If so, do you consider it worthwhile?

The relatively audacious pricing has intrigued me, as has the monstrous possibilities of the action in question. I would be disappointed though if it amounts to little more than a stat boost. Hopefully there’s more to this than a purely quantitative gain?[/quote]

I have not purchased it myself, but according to the wiki all it does is allow you to marry a unique Constant Companion that has no effect. So no, really not worth it. :/

As of now, it’s definitely not worth 100 Fate. Maybe it will be in future content. Also note that your Peculiar Physical Enhancement quality decreases whenever you use it – so you’ll probably even have to pay the 100 Fate more than once.
But the developers have clearly stated that Fate-locked content is never an integral part of the game’s whole story-arc. It’s just an expensive easter-egg for players who can afford it…

[quote=Little The][quote=Hyoscine]
I have not purchased it myself, but according to the wiki all it does is allow you to marry a unique Constant Companion that has no effect. So no, really not worth it. :/[/quote]
[/quote]
That’s incorrect.

It’s difficult to talk about this without ruining it, but that option…changes…your character in an unusual way. It gives you a pool of points that you can then spend at various points in the game to get unique outcomes. It’s not a boost to stats. It’s reward is fictional. It allows you to do things that otherwise you couldn’t.

How valuable that is to you depends. I think that most people who will want it know the second they come across the option in the game. Either you’re into…that sort of thing or you aren’t.

He said, delicately.
edited by Chris Gardiner on 1/12/2012

Sadly, however, there is very little actual content associated with this. It unlocks some 4 minor options on existing cards, and should one take the afore-mentioned Companion, it offers a single associated yet generic card. The purchase of access to Flute Street is an excellent use of Fate, opening up a very interesting area and providing a great many tidbits of lore. The purchase of this, however, does not.
Ultimately, it’s a matter of personal preference, but I assure you that this expenditure has little to recommend it, and I am far from alone in my opinion. It is not that the content is poor as such, it is that it is poor for the price. Personally, I would say that a fair price for this would be 10 Fate, but no more.

Thank you all for your replies; perhaps I’ll hold on to that Fate for the time being.

I am a bit foxed about how to get into Fluke Street. I believe you can gain access after helping the solve cases around London storyline but I’ve returned the item in question to the diminutive shop keeper and Flute Street has failed to rear it’s head.

Possibly I should be waiting for an opportunity card, but I’ve absent mindedly put to Zee in search of scientific revelation and academic celebration. Whoops.

I’m afraid you’re missing some information, travellerside. For instance, it opens 6 new branches throughout the game currently, with more in the pipeline. Ultimately, it depends how you measure value. This content is experimental and eccentric, as we indicate on the branch. If it’s for you, you’ll probably know it. It’s something we’ve received very positive feedback on. If the idea doesn’t enthuse you, feel free to stay clear.

[quote=AlexWattsEsq]I am a bit foxed about how to get into Flute Street. I believe you can gain access after helping the solve cases around London storyline but I’ve returned the item in question to the diminutive shop keeper and Flute Street has failed to rear it’s head.
Possibly I should be waiting for an opportunity card, but I’ve absent mindedly put to Zee in search of scientific revelation and academic celebration. Whoops.[/quote]
Don’t worry, once you’ve returned from Zee the opportunity card will appear sooner or later. The price is 18 Fate, by the way, in case you need to start saving… ;-)

[quote=Wieland Burandt][quote=AlexWattsEsq]I am a bit foxed about how to get into Flute Street. I believe you can gain access after helping the solve cases around London storyline but I’ve returned the item in question to the diminutive shop keeper and Flute Street has failed to rear it’s head.
Possibly I should be waiting for an opportunity card, but I’ve absent mindedly put to Zee in search of scientific revelation and academic celebration. Whoops.[/quote]
Don’t worry, once you’ve returned from Zee the opportunity card will appear sooner or later. The price is 18 Fate, by the way, in case you need to start saving… ;-)[/quote]

I paid 100 fate. -_- Why did they have to drastically reduce the price right after I bought it?

Wait… the Key to Flute Street costs 18 Fate, the Peculiar Personal Enhancement 100 Fate!

The key use to cost a lot more. Maybe not 100 but it was up there.