Fallen London Reworks: Dilmun Club

Someone has reported that the option now has an unlock requirement of a certain level of Associating with Radical Academics. The text is the same, as are the rewards (except for the 5 x Tribute).

So probably there are two very similar versions of the option out there, with the original now having a locking requirement (that Associating with Radical Academics isn’t too high). Needs verification…

Hi there, new to this forum.

So I completed the initial tribute of 80 and went back to the Tiger to report, and the screen with his result and what the next steps were clicked through as if I had deliberately done so. I missed the text and ensuing instructions.

I’ve checked the wiki to review what I had missed but I cannot locate it. Does anyone have this that they can post? I caught a glimpse of bold text at the bottom which were major next steps I’m sure.

This happens every once in a while but I do not know what causes this – this time it occurred at an important point!

Thanks in advance,

J-

That sounds like a bug to me, those are best sent to support@failbettergames.com with a detailed description of what happened / what was supposed to happen instead, whether you were using the app, and all other things you think might be relevant.

What storylet are you on currently?

[spoiler]The only one I recall having bolded text is &quotDeepening Relations with the Court,&quot and it basically just explained that the Minister &quotcompanions&quot will technically remain in the Elder Continent, and the companion you earn is more just their influence and wisdom following you.

You might not have missed any important instructions, as the story unfortunately stops shortly after you acquire your first Minister and there’s not much else to do at the Court. It seems a further update to the Dilmun Club story will be coming in the future.[/spoiler]
edited by Alice Lutwidge on 10/31/2017

Thanks, John. I’ve submitted the occasional bug before; can potentially do that here as well.

Alice - once I had achieved the initial requirement of 80 tribute, I went back to the storylet within the Fifth Coil to report back to the Tiger. That’s when it briefly flashed the result (and where I glimpsed the bold text at the bottom) before changing screens again (back to the Fifth Coil “home page”).

So is going to the tigers’ court repeatable? If I want all four companions, do I need to grind all the tribute before I go, or can I do it in several trips?

you can go back as much as you like, it just opens up on the ‘across the southern archipelago’ list.

and jason, you need to go sailing. presumably that’s the instruction you missed.

eep muddovermatter is correct; I seem to have gotten my tigers mixed up haha. Spoilered my response just in case :)

muddovermatter & Alice - thank you! Didn’t know if I needed to await for an opportunity card next, or meet one of my sponsers somewhere in London, or go sailing, or…

Appreciate the assistance.

J-

I did! You keep the little darling, is the good news. You will lose 5 tribute, (she eats it!) and get horribly mauled.

I did! You keep the little darling, is the good news. You will lose 5 tribute, (she eats it!) and get horribly mauled.[/quote]

Which is sadly less satisfying than letting the children play with it.

…what?

Ah, it’s wonderful to see the location picture for the South again without having to SMEN (or pay fate). It’s one of my favorite pieces of art in the game for some reason. Perhaps it’s the light, which is so lacking everywhere else in FL. My appreciation is nothing to what a Neather would feel on seeing it, though.

…come to think of it, I think I killed the mountain in my destiny, before I knew what was going on…
Good thing destinies aren’t set in Stone (ha)

Edit: Also, a way to grind searing enigmas without any luck involved, yay!
edited by Pumpkinhead on 11/1/2017
edited by Pumpkinhead on 11/1/2017

Just some quick maths for those out there with tons of cash to splash, looking to maximize actions. Paying hard echoes will get you 10 tribute per 25e per action, while gifting your winsome orphan will get you 25 tribute per 64.8e per action. So for 50 tribute, you can spend 5 actions and 125e or 2 actions and 129.6e. The difference being 3 actions for 1.5e each. So there is the maths for those who might be curious. If you want to get through the content asap, I would recommend selling orphans as the quickest way.

We can build on these results with some echo-grinding information. Assuming that you’re grinding AotB (1.64 epa), we can get hard action-efficiency results for both of these options. First, convert from echo-costs (for 50 tribute) for both to actions by dividing by 1.64 epa, yielding about 79.02 actions for the winsome orphan and about 76.22 actions for the raw echoes. However, these only include grinding actions, so we now have to add the actions from turning it in, giving a value of 81.02 actions for the winsome orphan and a value of 81.22 for the raw echoes, meaning that the winsome orphan option is flatly faster, although not by much – a contrast of about 0.617 tribute/action to 0.616 tribute/action. Ballets are sorely lacking in tribute/action compared to this, however, with a value of about 0.55 tribute/action, accounting for both tribute generated as part of the ballet and for the echo output (not to hate on ballets, however – they grant A Fine Piece, so this is most certainly a nice bonus!).

TL;DR: Orphans are faster no matter what, basically.

EDIT: Correction; my reasoning for the ballet is inaccurate. When your echo grind is worse than about 1.53 epa, the raw echoes option becomes better – meaning that the ballet (with an epa of roughly 1.36) should have been calculated using the raw echoes numbers, not the orphan numbers. The only reason that my numbers for the ballet are still correct is because the two both round to the same value in tribute/action, despite the small difference.

Updated TL;DR: Orphans are faster as long as your echo grind is better than 1.53 EPA, otherwise use the option to hand in raw echoes.
edited by trajing on 11/1/2017

Just tested: you don’t.

Just tested: you don’t.[/quote]
Did the option have a new locking requirement regarding one’s Associating with Radical Academics level?

okay great i didn’t have morals anyway

The orphans actually aren’t for food–they get along quite well with the tigers. Maybe they’re even better off than in one’s orphanage, what with all the unsavory types one introduces the orphans to.

Trading in children is still generally considered morally dubious at best.

Sure. But given the text you can certainly see this as offering this orphan a position in the Court. More like arranging for a mutually beneficial adoption, with significant career opportunities.