Eyeless Skull, and the Cave of Nadir in general

Thanks

I have finally explored the Cave of the Nadir for the first time. Wow.

While I wait for the irrigo I have acquired to fade, I am contemplating my options for selling the caveā€™s location. :-)

I do have one question though. Will I need to acquire a Ray-Drenched Cinder for my next foray into the Cave?

Feel free to PM me if youā€™re concerned about spoilerizing.

The only cost for a repeat trip is 3 actions: no skulls or cinders

Having now been through once, am I the only one to feel massive anti-climax? I spent a HUGE amount of time and money to gain access, and then the ONLY effect of my entry and time in the cave is to get my stats drained. I guess that I can now sell the location, but thatā€™s a small reward and would force me to change allegiance in an anti-character way anyway. What am I missing??

Tears of the Bazaar, the old names of the masters, the secret of lacre, irrigo stuff and more?

edited by Aximillio on 7/24/2013

I feel the biggest reward from all of this is understanding who the khan of dreams is and I must say the writers have done a very good job.

Yeah, didnā€™t get any of that - just repeated spider webs, piles of old bones that appear to be locked to a fate-story I havenā€™t bought, and some woods in winter. Oh well.

Itā€™s a bit kind of sort of late, but I did that thing what I do and wrote up a fairly comprehensive guide to stuff in the Nadir, how to get there, what to bring etc.
please be clicking this here link if you would like to read more

I get the impression that the Cave is more interesting the longer you have played FL and, in particular the more different stories (both Fate-locked and otherwise) that you have played. Still, I felt a bit let down too, but I expect to explore more and find more stuff in future passes.
edited by cathyr19355 on 7/25/2013

If you havenā€™t seen all the Nadir has to offer yet, then you havenā€™t reached the climax! Itā€™s a bit unfortunate that you didnā€™t get the best content on your first visit, but the next visit will be cheaper and quicker and you might find something really good.

Iā€™m seriously considering playing the Daughter storylet before I go to the Cave again; worth it?

Depends on how much you enjoy unique bits of text. The reward for doing so was certainly something I didnā€™t expect, but if youā€™re looking for Echoes, or Swag, donā€™t bother. I, for one, feel it was worth it.

I found the daughter pretty decent for clearing my hand. If nothing else itā€™ll make whirring contraptions less of a choreā€¦ (I guess you can also grind mystery gifts for more academic notes for more resources for other expeditions. Or something.)
edited by Aximillio on 7/25/2013

I canā€™t, for the life of me, seem to get the card that would let me convert my slippers or amber. Now itā€™ll be a week before I get another shot at it.

[quote=Spacemarine9]Itā€™s a bit kind of sort of late, but I did that thing what I do and wrote up a fairly comprehensive guide to stuff in the Nadirā€¦
please be clicking this here link if you would like to read more[/quote]The othoufavoured access code has definitely been used up, so you might want to take it out. (Unless you like raising peopleā€™s hopes, only to dash them mercilessly upon the sharp pointy rat-fangs of futility and frustration. In which case, carry on.) I think the fountainofnames code still works, though, so maybe include that? It makes a nice contingency.

Also, maybe recommend that people take Confident Smiles, because itā€™s very profitable to keep using them until you succeed at the super-hard Persuasive challenge. Also also, whatā€™s this about giving Eyeless Skulls to other players? I donā€™t think we can do that.

It would cause all kinds of mischief, after all. For example, I could create a new character and foist all my Skulls off on them and not get those annoying stat drain cards while grinding for a Cinder/hoarding them against some potential future use.

You can totally give eyeless skulls to other players, but only if they ask nicely first!

I didnā€™t know the othoufavored code was done, but i kinda forgot about the fountain of names one. Might as well put that in there.

Ah, my bad. That neatly prevents alt account abuse.
edited by Flyte on 7/26/2013

[quote=Flyte] I think the fountainofnames code still works, though, so maybe include that? It makes a nice contingency.

Also, maybe recommend that people take Confident Smiles, because itā€™s very profitable to keep using them until you succeed at the super-hard Persuasive challenge. [/quote]

Umā€¦ details please? What does the fountainofnames code do, and whatā€™s this persuasive challenge I should look out for?

[li]

The www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com/a/fountainofnames access code gives you a chunk of Expedition Supplies (i think either 10 or 20.), and the persuasive challenge is a hellishly difficult one (something north of 1000 difficulty, I think?) in the Nadir on the card that has a picture of a lady with giant creepy blank red eyes. Success on it gives a searing enigma! Cash money.
edited by Spacemarine9 on 7/26/2013

If you enter fallenlondon.storynexus.com/a/fountainofnames into your address bar and login from there, youā€™ll get 10 free Expedition Supplies. This is, I think, the only way you can salvage things if you run out of supplies during an Expedition. But you can use it beforehand, if you like ā€“ just make sure you have no more than 90 Supplies when you do, because you can never have more than 100.

Thereā€™s only one super-hard Persuasive challenge, so thereā€™s no chance youā€™ll overlook it. If you have even a 10% chance of success, itā€™s well worth repeatedly using second chances and backing out each time you fail.

Edit: the broad difficulty is exactly 1000. To the best of my knowledge, itā€™s more than four times as hard as any other stat-based challenge in the game.
edited by Flyte on 7/26/2013