Expanding the Stacks

A woman abseils down from the shelf above. Her back is crowded with map cases, satchels, and even a theodolite. Surely this place is too vast to map?

Today, we launch an expansion to the Stacks – Firmament’s major new activity. New options, a new route, and some balance tweaks.

We’re also adding a new small piece of paid content – the Clamorous Cartographer, a fellow wanderer in the library who’s trying to do the impossible: map the Stacks. Unlocking the Cartographer adds new cards and options in the Stacks, which can be turned on and off at will, plus a new route.

For players who have reached the Stacks, many of the new options are available immediately; some, including the Clamorous Cartographer, require Interloper in the Library 4 or higher.

You can unlock the Stacks in Chapter Two of Firmament, and then access it from the Midnight Moon.

14 Likes

Ah so that’s the Anticandles grind. Well, that makes a lot of sense.

1 Like

You get 10 of them in one run. And it’s not like we have any uses for them except next chapter unlock.

1 Like

I’m assuming the English title of the new book would be the Chasm of the Fall, but I’ll just say that “Tombée” doesn’t mean that. At best, it’d mean a dollop, in a cooking context. “Chute” would be the proper word.

Edit: Additional note, the Cardinal has become undiscardable.

Edit 2: Actually, what’s the feedback email? Because that’s probably where I should send the translation remark.

Doesn’t tombée refer to the break of night? I faintly remember the expression. It does seem appropriate. I never had any french education and any knowledge of the language is anecdotal, so I am a rather weak source…

No it doesn’t. At least not on its own. “Tombée de la nuit”, yes. But not just “tombée”.

This makes me think we’ll start having uses for them as well.

I’m honestly getting nervous about Zenith. Really thought that was gonna be the penultimate update, a year from now. But no, it’s right over there.

2 Likes

I do like the Relics of the Fifth City. Makes me wonder if Irem couldn’t give Relics of the Sixth.

2 Likes

I think that since they introduced a whole new map, they’re going to populate it with a bunch of new locations. We only have two so far and I’d expect at least six or so to make that map not look empty.

3 Likes

Yeah, no, I know there’s gonna be like a dozen locations. Just the way the narrative was building to Zenith I expected it to be like the ninth. Now it’s the third, and I have absolutely no idea what comes after. Except some fractal squiggles off in the distance?

5 Likes

I am personally extremely excited for those distant fractal squiggles. Also for the bit before that that looks like the floating mountains from James Cameron’s Avatar.

Yeah, thats part of this week’s patch notes

I’d really like to build a base camp here.

1 Like

It can also mean “the action of falling”, even when you’re not in a cooking-related context; to quote Wiktionary’s first definition, which comes with a fair amount of examples:

Chute, mouvement de ce qui tombe, au propre ou au figuré, ou survenue d’un évènement. (Fall, movement of something that’s falling, literally or figuratively, or occurrence of an event.)

Though I’ll admit that the term feels more evocative of the idea of “tumbling” to me than that of “falling”, which is what would make sense in the title. Maybe the term had a different connotation a century ago?
At any rate, I’m not entirely certain the word is misused here. It certainly can be used outside of cooking, but the lack of context for the title doesn’t really allow me to say more; I’m not yet at the center of the library.

… maybe this is a cooking manual since the very beginning?

1 Like

I have never seen it used like this (just “tombée”) outside of a very niche cooking context, and I do mean very niche. So it does look like an approximate translation to me rather than a genuine choice.

1 Like

It also irked me. But it can also mean that the author of the book is not a native French speaker :)

1 Like

Weird fact: DeepL translates the debatable French title to German as “Fallschirmspringer”, which means skydiver.