EXCEPTIONAL STORY: FLINT PART I, KNIFE OR CANDLE

I’d like some advice as to how to proceed at a certain point in the story.

I’m at the part where you’re confronted by the Imperturbable Patroness at the Light Factory. If I give up the knife to save the Bishop’s sister, will I lose the opportunity to continue the story? Will I be able to retrieve it again later? I really want to save the sister, but I don’t want to lose the knife, or end the story prematurely. Apologies if this has already been answered earlier in the thread, I didn’t feel like risking coming across spoilers I didn’t ask for.

Lamea lawless:

As the text above the options says, there is no wrong choice. You will be able to continue wichever one you pick, it’s just things will change depending on which one you do.

Before I go with it, I would like to know the consequences of consuming certain fruit in Spite, if any so far.

Alistair:

It healed a couple points of wounds and gave me a rather mysterious quality, but did not do a great deal other than that. I doubt it’s a big deal either way.

So has anyone kept the knapt yet? It seems the most fitting option for my character, but I don’t want it to ruin the rest of the story… I’m definitely not one to save the sister, but I can’t remember the importance of the other option…
edited by Cuznatch on 10/30/2015

Cuznatch:

[spoiler] my alt, August, kept the Knapt. Echoed below if you want the results. But, of course, there is no wrong choice.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/August~Reave?fromEchoId=6892138 [/spoiler]
edited by Kivrin Neverwinter on 10/30/2015

[quote=Kivrin Neverwinter]Cuznatch:
my alt, August, kept the Knapt.(spoiler quote snipped)
edited by Kivrin Neverwinter on 10/30/2015[/quote]

Out of curiosity, what item did the Bishop give you for this? What about the other endings? I took the Word of Caution and got a Judgement’s egg, but I’m interested to see what happens for the other choices.

Out of curiosity, what item did the Bishop give you for this? What about the other endings? I took the Word of Caution and got a Judgement’s egg, but I’m interested to see what happens for the other choices.

I’ve put it on his mantelpiece now. Looks like we’re bringing out the BIG guns in Part 2!

I believe the third ending gives a

Mountain-sherd, which seems that it will be useable from the inventory in future

So I just spend real money on this game for the first time, and I couldn’t be happier. Though I am a bit disappointed by how little use you can get out of that second candle, especially if you play the game frequently (and if you’re spending money, you probably are). I feel like it’d make a bit more sense to have actions refresh in five minutes instead of ten or something.

Loved the story for this month, as always! I’m torn between regretting my choice and being comforted by the fact that no matter what happens,

[spoiler]at least a life was saved. Even if it was a Snuffer’s.

Also, yes, I received a Mountain-sherd from the third ending.[/spoiler]

I get a fair bit of use from the second candle and extended deck since I don’t have constant access to the site. With the normal limits, I often find myself with full actions and deck but having more space means longer pauses don’t cause as many issues.

Does anyone know what happens when you use the Snuffer’s Gratitude item? I’m afraid to use it only to have it be needed for the next part!
edited by Agatha Kizmesis on 11/1/2015

I enjoyed this and am looking forward to the next part!

I thought Part I of the story was all too short, but that may be because I was enjoying it so much. I was also please to see that it openly states some facts that the game had only hinted at previously.

Thank you!

[quote=Zantumall]Alistair:

It healed a couple points of wounds and gave me a rather mysterious quality, but did not do a great deal other than that. I doubt it’s a big deal either way.
[/quote]

I’m going to guess that in the next chapter, it will be prudent not to let this quality get too high, lest one calcify on a cliffside, or somesuch.

I’m thoroughly enjoying this story so far. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten to talk to the Bishop of St Fiacre before. I have to say I like this character. He’s dry, witty, interesting… and surprisingly sympathetic. [spoiler]His talk about hope, forgiveness, redemption, etc, really got to me.

I also sort of love/hate stories that force me to make decisions based on my priorities. I love them because they make me think critically about what I want out of the story, and what my character is most likely to think about the situation, I hate them because they’re hard. <3
[/spoiler]

If I had one mildly negative thing to say, it’s that I sometimes wish there were more of a sense of continuity in stories. For instance, my character is a Hellfarer, with a connected: Hell quality of 202, so there was some cognitive dissonance over the fact that the Bishop was asking her a favor, and apparently trusting her with something secret. I’m sure lots of players would be upset if they were barred from the story based on their connections, but I personally would have enjoyed being given a sort of test or extra hurdle for my character to do, to prove that the bishop can trust her with this errand. I also thought it must have been kind of funny for anyone who played Discernment and picked the less friendly approach towards the bishop, to have him later ask them for a big secret favor.
edited by Lamea Lawless on 11/2/2015
edited by Lamea Lawless on 11/2/2015

I have a minor question relating to a part of the story early on–regarding a certain idol.

I would very much like to advance my “Uncovering the Secrets of the Face-Tailor” quality to 5 or 6 to unlock options regarding this story. But I have been stuck at Uncovering Secrets of the Face-Tailor 3 for what feels like two months or so. I still have the Scowling Flint Idol, and I have received the “A familiar visitor” card once before. I chose the option “Interrogate”, and received the reply “This card may recur, allowing you to take a different tack…” The card has never recurred in all my drawing. I have one face-tailor option that I know of–the option to research it in the university, which does nothing (to my knowledge) to advance the little plot. Am I literally stuck drawing cards for this entire Exceptional Friend cycle, trying to advance this story?