Exceptional Friendship is Changing!

Completely agree that this change has caught me unaware. I just recently gifted someone 100 Fate and did not pester them long enough to get an EF - now I doubt they will get it at all.

I am very glad I’m not the only one upset about the lack of announcement about this change.

It’s like…if you buy a gift card for a restaurant, the restaurant can’t later say that gift cards can only be used for appetizers and you still have to pay for your entree. They can of course begin selling appetizer-only gift cards, but they can’t retroactively apply the same limit what they’ve already sold under different rules. The money has already been spent and should be allowed to be used for its original intended purpose.

I paid money for Nex with the expectation that it could be used for exceptional friendship, and found out a day late that the rules had been changed with suspiciously minimal effort to notify me. Now I’ve spent money that I wish I hadn’t, and I’m extremely disinclined to ever spend more.

Did Failbetter not think that people might have some issues with this?

[quote=ruen]I paid money for Nex with the expectation that it could be used for exceptional friendship, [color=FF0000]and found out a day late that the rules had been changed with suspiciously minimal effort to notify me[/color]. Now I’ve spent money that I wish I hadn’t, and I’m extremely disinclined to ever spend more.

Did Failbetter not think that people might have some issues with this?[/quote]

Seems like the short time to buy before the change, and low visibility of the indication of this change, are the main problems. Even though I don’t feel the same way as you do about this, I can kind of understand the feeling.
edited by Emain Ablach on 5/1/2015

I’m also annoyed by the lack of notification.
I found about the change a day late, while checking whether the increased deck size was a bug.

It’s really cruel that a special story for people who actually gave you money is so punishing. You can’t leave and come back later, so you’re stuck getting hit with Nightmare after Nightmare.

I think you can do the story over again if you fail out; or at least that’s what I’ve heard.

[color=#009900]Candidly, we didn’t think there was that much stockpiling of Nex! And there are always plenty of other things to spend Nex on; and there will be more. But we always prefer to do the right thing, so:[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900][b]If you had purchased Nex in bulk before the end of April, mail us /b and we’ll purchase up to 12 months of EF with it, at a 35 Nex a month. [/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]We’ll keep doing this until end May, and we’ll let existing EFs know in an email update.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]

Brilliant. You are a sound fellow.

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]Candidly, we didn’t think there was that much stockpiling of Nex! And there are always plenty of other things to spend Nex on; and there will be more. But we always prefer to do the right thing, so:[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900][b]If you had purchased Nex in bulk before the end of April, mail us /b and we’ll purchase up to 12 months of EF with it, at a 35 Nex a month. [/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]We’ll keep doing this until end May, and we’ll let existing EFs know in an email update.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color][/quote]

You should announce this in-game and possibly on the other social media too! People might not see this post if they don’t touch the forums. And you do have a shiny poster ready for Facebook like the blemmigan one.

I feel like an idiot but I cannot see a link to subscribe anywhere I look!

Sorry to say that this turnaround did nothing for me - i found out yesterday about the change. Was unhappy that had I bought nex 7 days and pre bought the subscription, I’d be fine. Now I find out that if I had bought nex YESTERDAY, I would now be able to get the subscriptions (plus the gift subscriptions I intended to give) I’d wanted. This makes things even worse.

[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]I think there’s been a misunderstanding - you can still buy a subscription now, and you couldn’t buy gift subscriptions before (you could send someone Nex, but that’s no different from sending them $7).[/color]

I purchased Nex on the day of the change, wondering why I couldn’t extend my EF. While I’m happy to spend it on other things I really would like paypal back as an option sometime soon! I don’t own a creditcard and therefore can no longer subscribe. I know you are / were working on it but any idea if it will be ready this month?

Oh I see! Thanks a lot for clearing that up for me. I think this new system sounds wonderful at any rate!

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]Candidly, we didn’t think there was that much stockpiling of Nex! And there are always plenty of other things to spend Nex on; and there will be more. But we always prefer to do the right thing, so:[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900][b]If you had purchased Nex in bulk before the end of April, mail us /b and we’ll purchase up to 12 months of EF with it, at a 35 Nex a month. [/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]We’ll keep doing this until end May, and we’ll let existing EFs know in an email update.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color][/quote]

I personally really appreciate this, thank you! For being fair, and making players feel like they’re listened to.

Just registered an account to post my irritation at this as well.
I’ve only been playing the game for little more than a month, but I check my emails daily and have been playing insanely, so to miss what is arguably more important than the Plans system or Terry Pratchet’s eulogy, which both appeared on the top of the game, seems bad.
I had earned 12 Fate through the game(thanks FBG for that), and was waiting to use them along with a few more Nex to buy an Exceptional Friendship, once I had gotten used to the game, and explored the other areas.

Granted, I’m not in that bad of a spot compared to others who have hundreds of Nex in store, but then again I’ve only been playing for a month.

Does anyone think it is a bad idea to have a dual paying system in store? It would seem counter intuitive to use Nex to unlock stories, when the game already has your credit card info, and can bill you in real life currency, meaning you never get leftover Nex, and you know the exact amount of money a story would require. It would be breaking the fourth wall a bit, but then again Nex does as well, since it’s not really an in-game item.

Nobody is in a bad spot. Read the messages of the dev above.

I did not actually bother to read the whole thread 'til here (from page 2 or summit likdat), so I might be sorry if this was covered on page 3 already… maybe.

The one, totally only. first and foremost question I have is just this:

Why exactly should it be necessary to disable nex/fate payment of Exceptional Friendship?

I am not getting this one, and would seriously appreciate a candle shoved in my ear there- erm, Enlightment. On the matter. I do wish for.

This is what Hannah said about that.

[quote=Hannah Flynn][quote=Kylestien]All I want to say is this: As someone who keeps getting Exceptional Friendship by fate currently, I’d like the option to just pay once per month at my leisure with fate as it is now. I find it easier for me to just spend a bit of fate which I can get from the super rewards mobile option when I top it up, and doubtless with a subscription i would need to go though all the hassle of credit cards and the like.
edited by Kylestien on 4/21/2015[/quote]

[color=#0066ff]Unfortunately it’s too complex to support both - but we’re planning to have Paypal support in the near future as another option.[/color][/quote]