Evolution is Fallen London's next serial story

You can just keep trying it. According to the wiki there’s a hidden quality that goes up when you fail and makes the challenge easier until you get it. (if this is about The Treachery of Maps storylet).

1 Like

I am in Cecil Trying to help the cats so i can complete the survey but at 10% there is no way to complete it

Which storylet is that?

This one: The Treachery of Maps - Fallen London Wiki you can keep retrying until you get it.

Do you mean this one High Tide in The Poisoned Pawn - Fallen London Wiki , the option titled instruct the lamp-cats in the coral calcification of the locals ? There’s no need to play that option, you can use either of the other two that help the lamp-cats (lead them in a chess lesson or provide them with somewhere to rest) in order to raise the lamp-cats skills.

Or is there some other one you mean? I thought I hadn’t used my Monstrous Anatomy outfit in this story this time which is why I think there’s probably a way not to need it (since I thought I didn’t use it) but maybe I forgot something I had done…

“Survey the terrain with the Youthful Naturalist”

Need to make 3 near consectutive success before tide comes back in

So this part starts from a card? Still nothing here.

Check your “Associating with a Youthful Naturalist” value. Maybe you need to visit Orchard House or something else.

Ooh, yeah, you’re right, forgot about that one, sorry.

“Youthful Naturalist has not changed from 135 because it’s higher than 131.”

High as it can go. I guess i cant advance any further. To everyone else, make sure you have monstrous anatomy before reaching this point or you wont advance.

I think waterpls was replying to Tsar Koschei about drawing the card.

I also temporarily forgot about that. Let’s see… so you need to score 3 successes out of 7 attempts; each set of attempts costs 14 actions. You could just try brute-forcing it, but even at a 40% success rate you’re rolling the dice; at 30% success rate you’re committing to eating a few rounds of failures as a cost of progress. Below that just seems futile.

You need 7 Monstrous Anatomy for a 30% success rate, and 8 for a 40% chance. Yeah, that’s uh…

I would consider that soft-gated on establishing a Parabolan Base-Camp (which in turn requires a lab). It’s technically not a hard gate, there are ways around it (especially during Whitsun). But honestly trying to roll 3x10% successes probably takes around as many actions as establishing a lab, upgrading it, opening Parabola, and hunting beasts to get your skills up. And the latter will also result in you have a lab and base-camp.

Might be worth dropping a line to FBG support to ask them if that was intended. The beginning of the storyline merely requires a ship, but I don’t know if this content is intended to have escalating requirements like an Ambition or not.

1 Like

I already got both Base-camp and lab going, so maybe i will just hunt beast until my skills are up. Thanks for the help.

Material requirements are not escalating and we are almost half way through.

Chapter Four of Evolution is out now! Rejoin the Youthful Naturalist to continue his search across the Unterzee. Can he endure the things his chimerical Ambition demands of him?

This is the fourth of Evolution’s seven chapters, and picks up from the previous chapter through the London Opportunity Deck. The remaining three chapters will be released in 2023. Fallen London’s content schedule for the rest of the year overflows with other delicious offerings.

5 Likes

I don’t have any candles, because I already donated them to the church! Grumble grumble…

Anyways, anyone else in the same situation is advised to play Flint and Dagger.

I got my 7777 candles, spoke with the Bishop, got a “relatively safe sea lane” by converting puzzling maps, and sailed to Port Cecil. I met the youthful naturalist and we boarded my ship to go to Aeschaven or Godfall. Neither of these is on my sea map. To where do I sail?

Godfall is just above the Elder Continent on the map, where Abbey Rock used to be.

If you have not previously discovered Godfall, then you can either Zail to London and talk to the Loquacious Vicar. Or, you can zail around in Shephard’s Wash (e.g. by traveling to the Elder Continent and then cancelling the voyage before you arrive) until you draw the right card. You’re looking for one with monks, which is different than the one with heretics.

I had a “relatively safe sea lane” that I created just before embarking to Port Cecil. When I reboarded my ship with the youthful naturalist, this “relatively safe sea lane” was consumed but I still do not have the location for Godfall. If I sail around Shepherd’s Wash until I draw the necessary card, will I have to pay an additional amount (e.g. lots of wine) to discover the location? If I return to London, will the Vicar give me the location even though my “relatively safe sea lane” was consumed?

No idea. I already had Godfall on my map. All I know if the ways to discover it, I don’t know how that interacts with the Naturalist storyline.

I can tell you that the Vicar will want another zee-lane to give you the location.

“Where do you think all that wax comes from?”

I hadn’t thought about it at all, until now… eww.

Small spoiler about an expensive item: This chapter also has the first action, besides cheating the Boatman, of the Cider! Not just a text mention, but an actual action!

EDIT: Only now I found out that Part 3 gives a nice reward: Naturalist’s Map It is a +1 MA Home Comfort which is a free alternative for Highly-Accurate Gargoyle (summer event) and The Butcher’s Friend (Christmas+ Fate).

2 Likes

I just got back from Godfall and my Associated With A Youthful Naturalist is at 325, where do I go next?