Evolution is Fallen London's next serial story

I can’t seem to find the start of part 2, any hints on where it might be? Not at my lodgings or Wolfstack Docks.

It starts with an opportunity card, and then you go to the Medusa’s Head.

Ah, thank you. Card flipping it is, then!

So i found the bone key on Hunter island but forgot what to do next.

Heck, I still haven’t found the key.

And Hunter’s Keep is tiresome.

Well, that was a little more tiresome than I had expected, I both had to find the key and grind for the maps and zee legs to build the safe zee route.

Regardless, it was fun enough to go on the journey, and get to learn about the Naturalist.

Assuming that I’m right, it was a fun moment of realisation when it clicked for me who the Naturalist’s mentor was. Out of anyone, it seems appropriate - or ironic - that he is the one to help us with this kind of quest.

1 Like

I’m still trying to care about this story. And failing.

Unrelated to Evolution, but related in that it’s one of the few reasons to go to Hunter’s Keep these days: the fact that only the middle sister gets a photo-realistic portrait while Phoebe and Cynthia languish in the (perfectly charming, but notably different) mid '10s cartoonish style is alternately funny and distracting:

I found both legs so far to be neat, but it hasn’t hooked me. Got to see some neat places, read some nice text, but… well, I’m not on the edge of my seat. But it’s early yet; politely curious about what comes next!

But what location are we suppose to zail to once we got the key?

From memory, you check in with the Naturalist in Spite, and he’ll then direct you to a new destination.

Thanks! Could not remember for the life of me!

Btw, does anyone else think the Dusty Ornithologist is Charles Darwin?

Or is that so obvious that no one else thought it necessary to bring up?

2 Likes

That was my original impression after reading the story. Then I double-checked Wikipedia and I wasn’t so sure, because while his work on finches is the most well-known to the general public, I don’t think he was primarily an Ornithologist. A few clicks around Wikipedia suggested perhaps John Gould?

But my opinion has now swung back the other way: The Dusty Ornithologist was buried because he was studying worms, which was also the topic of Darwin’s last publication in his lifetime. That seems an improbable coincidence. So my doubts were probably just reading too much into it. And the title of his next book should perhaps just be taken as the direct clue that it is. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

A few comments on Reddit seemed to take the conclusion as a given.

1 Like

Well, just got a new opportunity card!

Chapter three of Evolution is out now! Reunite with the Youthful Naturalist and brave the treacherous Unterzee once more! How far will the Naturalist’s ambition take him?

This is the third of Evolution’s seven chapters, and picks up from the previous chapter through the London Opportunity Deck. The remaining four chapters will be released throughout 2022 and into 2023.

4 Likes

Here are the requirements for those working on part two.
While chapter 3 requires access to the new Zee port, Cecil.

1 Like

Since this relates to the blurred bit in the above post I’ll blur this here, even though it doesn’t really spoil anything, but I found the line “Wait a moment-- you know this lamp-cat!” hilarious for some reason.

1 Like

First part was slow and uncertain, more hints than substance, so I didn’t like it. Second and third parts are good, deep lore connections and reveals, interesting details about familiar characters and new enigmatic ones. Writing feels more visceral than on average in FL, seas of blood and cutting people, focus on anatomy and transplantation/implantation.

On the bad side, i bet many people were pretty annoyed when found themself in distant port without silk or maps or whatever to progress.

Whats bothering me is the very high monstrous anatomy requirement, i don’t have anything to raise it.