Election 1897 Candidates

[quote=Dudebro Pyro]The worst thing would be if the Topsy King and His Amused Lordship ran in the same year. I would have to choose between the two and that would be horrible.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 7/3/2018[/quote]
Thing is, they’d go best together: The Lord and the King, snobs verses slobs, Palace verses Flit, that sort of thing.

Does the Divine Right of Kings apply to the Topsy King?

Probably, though his de jure domain is limited to the Flit.

Remember Anne is a Bonapartist :P

HAL never really struck me as a snob.
edited by Snowskeeper on 7/3/2018

They let Slowcake of Slowcake’s Exceptionals run, not a committee of devils. We doubt latter would have flown.[/quote]
The big issue with non-humans running for election in-universe is the strong xenophobia that London feels towards its inhuman neighbors. In a city where devils are appalled, rubbery men are slaughtered by mobs, clay men are a borderline slave race, and species such as L.B.s and Snuffers are killed for sport, it can be presumed that only humans can hold office or vote. The loophole is that, so long as no one knows your candidate is secretly not a human or a stand-in for a non-human, all is well. Mr Slowcake is evidence of the fact, and characters such as Feducci and the Captivating Princess (one being an ubermensch of sorts and in league with a foreign power, the other with questionable legality as a candidate and questionable status as a human) show that anyone can run if they conceal their secrets well enough and people don’t ask too many questions. Speaking of non-humans…

I myself would love to see the Bishop of St Fiacre enter office! I wonder, though, what platform he would take. Would it be the reformation of London’s underbelly? Government benefit for those less fortunate? Providing protection to London’s inhuman citizens, and perhaps offering asylum to Snuffers with a similar attitude of &quotdo no harm&quot like the Bishop? This last option would most likely fall under some secret agenda of the Bishop’s, but I would love to see how his church connections would take on the position as caretakers for those who wish for a life without secrecy and murder.
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 7/3/2018

They let Slowcake of Slowcake’s Exceptionals run, not a committee of devils. We doubt latter would have flown.[/quote]
The big issue with non-humans running for election in-universe is the strong xenophobia that London feels towards its inhuman neighbors. In a city where devils are appalled, rubbery men are slaughtered by mobs, clay men are a borderline slave race, and species such as L.B.s and Snuffers are killed for sport, it can be presumed that only humans can hold office or vote. The loophole is that, so long as no one knows your candidate is secretly not a human or a stand-in for a non-human, all is well. Mr Slowcake is evidence of the fact, and characters such as Feducci and the Captivating Princess (one being an ubermensch of sorts and in league with a foreign power, the other with questionable legality as a candidate and questionable status as a human) show that anyone can run if they conceal their secrets well enough and people don’t ask too many questions. Speaking of non-humans…[/quote]

That was my point, yep

You know who we haven’t had? A Candidate of Mysterious and Indistinct Gender.

The thing is, the candidate needs to be a recognizable NPC. Someone who rings enough bells for all players.

And having said that, players would probably vote for a rubbery, or a clay like the pirate-poet, but then it would shatter the whole ‘pariah’ status their storylines depend on.

Would Manager of the Beth vs. The Boatman vs. The Judge who sends you to Newgate be possible. A pick your Menace election year?

The Manager would probably win, but I’d support the Boatman there. Imagine how interesting his story would be! It’d be a shame when he inevitably loses.

Let’s double down on the &quothold your nose and vote for what you think is the lesser evil&quot approach:

Dr. Orthos vs Veteran Privy Councillor vs Jasper & Frank.

I just had a genius idea: the Contrarian should run for re-election!

It’s not been done before, but that’s why he’s Contrarian, after all. A candidate hadn’t run twice before him, either. And being who he is, he would almost certainly run with yet another completely different platform, which would avoid having a repeat campaign and keep things fresh and new.

Silas, The Showman.
The Veteran Privy Councillor.
The Honey Addled Detective.
The Manager of the Royal Bethlehem.

The ultimate election in my opinion.

The Struggling Artist, because maybe then he’d finally leave you alone.

The Barbed Wit. She wins, and we get an extra Fate story introducing a ladies-friendly club.

Oh man, I forgot about the Barbed Wit. YES. Barbed Wit for mayor.

The Elusive Countess. She is wealthy enough to fund a campaign, of obscure origin (so there is a possibility to expand on her story), and she seemingly everywhere at society events, thus well connected.

The Bohemian Sculptress. The first thing she tells you is not to forget the little people while you become famous. She must be well connected too, as she has a brother in the Foreign Office, made an allusion to knowing the Solitary Glim-Sculptor, and knows the way to Wilmot’s end and Court.

The Tentacled Entrepreneur + Spokesperson: He can fund his campaign (‘rich as Croesus’). Typically polite society would not let a Rubbery man run, but FBG can pull this off by making Society letting him run as a joke. Choosing the right spokesperson can then bend the story in the way FBG wants.

A docks character: Shipwreck Joe would give an interesting poster, and the Chandleress or the Salty Fabulist might make interesting candidates.

A Mr or Mrs Maywell: They say London’s hat makers are the maddest of them all. And I want to learn more about the merchants.

I’d say the Tentacled Entreupenuer, the Muffled Intriguer, the Laconic Progidy, and the Ambitious Barrister. Though I have the Barrister as an alt, so would she become Mayor too?

You know who should run? Chester! Slowcake supporters know who I am talking about. We only met them a few times but I’m fond of the guy!

The Wit, the Countess and the Sculptress do sound like amazing choices, though I suspect we need to know more about their platforms…