Election 1897: 15th July!

I wouldn’t put it past Shoshana and Plenty to be working together in some sort of elaborate confidence scam. Heads or tails, the Carnival wins.

It is a little strange to see two Carnival themed candidates at the same time, but then the Carnival is a big part of London and it hasn’t featured in the elections, like, at all. So, making up for lost time I suppose.

How deliciously devious! I hope this is true!

I kind of hope you’re right. My character doesn’t, but that’s another matter.

Of course, there’s a sense in which you could describe the last two mayors as confidence men, so I suppose it’s not inappropriate to have it, as it were, out in the open.

Early prediction is that the Plenty v. Shoshana axis works in Virginia’s favor. Split the opposition between two reasonably similar candidates, so both come out weaker. Beyond that, I’m with Anne: it seems very strange to see two candidates so closely connected, especially ones that were not (to my knowledge) really on anyone’s radar. (I apologize if I’ve forgotten some impassioned campaign for Mrs. Plenty. I’m fairly certain I’ve not heard anyone mention Madame Shoshana.) Past years have had candidates from distinct positions with clear backing, which made for an interesting race. Right now, all I can call is that the devils will support their own. I hope that the actual election launch will bring us more information and differentiate the candidates more successfully.

Isn’t Madam Shoshana connected to the Shroud, which in turn is close to the Cats?

Seeker as Mayor sounds like it’d be hilarious, lets do that.

&quotGood for the Soul&quot and &quotA Vision for London&quot are not slogans.

They’re exchange rates.

Both are Bohemians, so that faction is probably split. This is nothing new.

Public acknowledgement that a friend pointed out a certain Lady’s pitch for Mrs. Plenty.

I have to admit I’m not wild about the two Madams both running for mayor at the same time. I guess we’ll see how similar they appear once the campaigning starts, but as people have stated they could easily split the vote and leave a devilish victory all but certain.

It does rather feel like either one of them should have been a candidate with the other’s backing, rather than both running at once. But we’ll see how it plays out.

Oooh, that makes it more interesting! The Duchess then? And… Parabolan interference? Hell and Parabola featured pretty heavily in so many Exceptional Stories after all. Which leads me to the second question.

I am pretty sure Failbetter chose two people from the Carnival exactly because they have something in mind. The elections seldom reveal large chunks of lore, but then again last year’s Neathmass had a whole beautiful storylet in the end (mechanic problems aside). So they might be trying something similar here?

[quote=Passionario]&quotGood for the Soul&quot and &quotA Vision for London&quot are not slogans.

They’re exchange rates.[/quote]
… Then I would expect Virginia and Mme. Shoshana to have well-funded campaigns.

I was hoping that all the losers from the previous years would come back, not unlike The Contrarian.

Ah well, not sure who to support yet. We’ll see.

Yeah I’m new to fallen london and have barely even heard of Virginia before so it’s gonna be an interesting first election for me lol. Not really seen much of Shoshana either and only collected a bit of Mrs Plenty’s past in Mutton Isle too.
edited by Calliope Rannis on 7/12/2019

I’m afraid that this will be my first Neathy Election, too. However, of the three candidates, I’ve had the most contact with Virginia, and have quite come to admire her. She is tenacious in pursuit of her goals, but honest (and honourable) enough to back off when beaten. Having defeated her at chess for very high stakes, I am delighted to say that she is keeping her bargain faithfully! For me, she has gone from adversary to opponent to respected acquaintance, which places her higher in my esteem than either the charlatan Madame Shoshana (whose predictions are literally no more accurate than a coin toss) or Mrs. Plenty (whose sale of “edible” rubbery lumps unsettles me more than anything in Hell)!

I’ll hold off on a final decision until after I’ve seen what the campaigns hold, but I’m inclined at the moment to stick with the Devil(ess) I literally know.

It’s almost time! Ladies and gentlemen (and, ah, other), start your engines!

Manic refresh time!

Does anyone remember where we could access the Heist which unearthed secrets and advanced our reputations? I can only see the Flash Lay option.
edited by Jolanda Swan on 7/15/2019

[quote=Jolanda Swan]Does anyone remember where we could access the Heist which unearthed secrets and advanced our reputations? I can only see the Flash Lay option.
edited by Jolanda Swan on 7/15/2019[/quote]

Where the Flash Lay option appears?

Once you choose your profession, you can find it in the main event card, the silver-lined “The Mayoral Election of 1897”.