Election 1896: Mr Slowcake

I think it’s more like, Hell has it’s own yardstick so the Masters might as well make use of it. Everyone else in London does already. The Masters don’t have much to gain for putting in all the effort to come up with something different. At least publicly anyway…

An Echo of what happens if you ask the Jovial Contrarian about Mr. Slowcake: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kharagal%20Mierqid?fromEchoId=14259963

This is my favorite statement of the election, so far.

Huh. That’s an interesting social structure you have in mind there, Mr. Slowcake:

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Emmary%20Vale?fromEchoId=14260930

So, what he wants is a highly collaborative, communicative society with a strict caste system where each member is allotted resources according to their relative influence over the system as a whole. Kinda sounds like home sweet home for a devil.

Huh, looks like my &quotdraft Mr. Slowcake&quot movement actually worked.

Maybe I shouldn’t defame Mr. Slowcake if he isn’t here to defend himself, but isn’t there a huge conflict of interests? Notability determines your voting power, and the Slowcake’s Exceptionals is ‘the only arbiter that matters’; the only reliable guide to people’s Notability. He could easily rig this years election!

It’s explicitly said on the Reputation gain card that Slowcake’s Exceptionals has stepped back from getting involved in the Election as an organisation - to the point where someone campaigning for an opposition candidate can give them some MW for campaign aid (Reputation)! But also, yes, it’s super suspect.

Indeed, but that will also make the irony so much more delicious if one of the other two candidates win due to the notability of their voters.

Thank you, I didn’t know that. I haven’t had that card yet (must be the RNGs fault).

Edit:
Speak of the devil…
Just got the card, and could directly get a nice echo out of it.
The Emanuesis is brutal.
edited by Μαρσ on 6/19/2018

An echo on asking Slowcake’s man about JC (since I hadn’t seen it yet)

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/easterberry?fromEchoId=14265561

[quote=easter]An echo on asking Slowcake’s man about JC (since I hadn’t seen it yet)

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/easterberry?fromEchoId=14265561[/quote]

I love Easterberry’s &quotthey say&quot comment. Story of my life, IRL. :-)

Well, if that happens we’ll know about it.

I don’t think it’s in Slowcake’s interests to undermine the long term legitimacy of his system for some extremely short term gain. Mr. Slowcake is after all regarded as one of the most far thinking men in London. His Exceptionals has the potential to live on forever, while a Mayoral term is only one year. The fact that Mr. Slowcakes recognizes the Notability of those opposing him just goes to show how truly devoted he is to his cause. He’s so real.

(In-character answer):

No, this will not do. Notability is a selfish and dangerous measure of one’s worth. It is inherently self-centered! And the man himself has created this silly race! Clever, but clearly shady. I do not trust him.

We need to build a fairer City. It will be a long and hard road, an interesting and harrowing voyage, but we can do it. However, we will not do it if we pursue the selfish meter of Notability, trapped like rats in a race created by Slowcake!

Vote for the Jovial Contrarian!

(fun idea: write here your in-character election pleas)

Mr. Slowcake likes coffee and hates tea, omigawd! Now there’s some first class dog whistling right there.

Also, Mr. Slowcake thinks the Captivating Princess is a very silly person.

My my. Most interesting! Most interesting indeed! Now of course the elections are a farce, but what an enjoyable farce they are! What flavor of the month shall it be this time?

Surely Slowcakes will prove a most interesting diversion. Oh what larks we shall have with this years election!

Mr Slowcake has been a resident of London since the first year after the fall.

He also really dislikes the Contrarian’s showboating nature. But then Mr. Slowcake has always been known for his self-effacing humility, despite being so utterly exceptional in everything he does. His not appearing in public for instance - that’s just fair play on his part. If he actually campaigned he’d blow the Princess and the Contrarian out of the water.

An Echo of what the Captivating Princess thinks of Mr. Slowcake: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kharagal%20Mierqid?fromEchoId=14269475

Interesting that Slowcake intends to turn London into a more meritocratic society- after all, who knows better than the Brass Embassy the dangers of an unchecked aristocracy…?

You know, that was…unexpectedly complimentary. Like, I’m trying to find any sarcasm or shade and I’m not seeing any. Even the &quotYou know, I don’t think he and I have ever met&quot seems genuine (which would be hilarious, as it would mean Mr. Slowcake is a far more private and hermetic person than we’ve previously thought).

While we could pontificate at length on just how air-tight he is, I think that consensus is that he simply doesn’t exist at all as a person - hermitic or no. This makes Princess’s statement even more surprising (if it is truly genuine, of course), as it means hell have managed to fool even her - which I find hard to believe, as the player can find out the truth apparently relatively early in the game.