Election 1896: Mr Slowcake

[color=#cc0099]Feducci’s term is through! London requires a new Mayor! Whom will you support?
The editor of Slowcake’s Exceptionals has, unexpectedly, entered the fray. He has yet to appear in public; his highly knowledgeable assistant, The Amanuensis, is managing the campaign in his stead.

He stands for a London where class is not the great equaliser, and thus his motto is: “To Every Soul Its Station.” It’s no surprise his followers are a mixture of rich and poor, from society patrons and matriarchs of industry to urchins, zailors and pickpockets.

Mr Slowcake’s candidacy was announced via a three page spread in the Gazette. The argument was long-winded, but its thrust was simple. After years of collating the names of prominent Londoners in his book, Mr Slowcake has had enough.

Use the first week of London to investigate Mr Slowcake and the other candidates, as well as their platforms. More information on Election 1896 can be found in the Main Announcement thread.

Want to learn more about this candidate?
Mr Slowcake would never do something so crass as to appear in public. He’s avoided it since the Fall, and isn’t about to start now. However, if you’re a Person of Some Importance, you can purchase an entry in Slowcake’s Exceptionals, and can discover more via A Visit from Slowcake’s Amanuensis Opportunity Card.[/color]

To Every Soul It’s Station … Moloch Street Station!

Oh… you are right. I doubt it was untintentional!

My favorite line from the description is, “He offers London the chance to become a city of station; a place where every soul has its proper place, determined by its worth alone.” It’s a very nice touch, sounding all nice and idealistic if you don’t know what’s really up with Slowcakes, and extraordinarily ominous if you do.

The descriptions are as amazing as ever.
And so is the art in this one.

The puns and double meanings of this are amazing. Kudos to the writer of this!

Truly dog-whistle politics at its finest. The authors must have had fun coming up with the right combination of plausibly-deniable and obvious-to-those-who-know.

Personally I’m glad I can vote for Hell more directly than in the past. I’m also looking forward to the skulduggery aspect of the election, Slowcakes certain has secrets that I’ve been wanting to find out.

Can’t believe my prayers were answered! Seems like Mlle is not going North -quite- yet…

I personally hope Slowcake loses by a massive margin for the terrible sin of forcing me to learn how to spell “amanuensis”.

I have heard several people now say that Slowcake is ‘a literal monster’, ‘Hell’, or ‘a prince of Hell’ etc. now. Is all this baseless speculation and exaggeration because people don’t like him / have fun with not knowing who he is, or are there actually any hints towards any of this?

I see that he has some ties to Hell given his item and that a couple of devils follow his platform around to take notes, but that is the most sinister I have even seen hinted so far.

I guess I’ll throw my weight behind him. He is the puppet of just Hell.

EDIT: Rephrased
edited by civlover on 6/18/2018

The card &quotA private detective&quot has &quotJust who is Mr. Slowcake?&quot as one of it’s options and lets you investigate Mr. Slowcake who never is seen. If you pass it you find out the flowing:

[spoiler]Mr. Slowcake doesn’t exist. He’s the invention of a cabal of Devils in the Brass Embassy (Hell). It’s suspected that &quotMr. Slowcake&quot, Slowcake’s Exceptionals and the entire Notability system is a way for Hell to figure out who’s souls they should be collecting.

That has some people concerned about him running for mayor to say the least…[/spoiler]

Huh, I thought the Masters were involved with Slowcake.

Notability -is- the way to reach Bazaar-related profession, so one can only wonder.

So if I’m getting this right, he wants literally everything to be a Making Waves grind. Hm. Somehow I’m not quite drawn to his campaign.

[quote=0bsidian Fire]The card &quotA private detective&quot has &quotJust who is Mr. Slowcake?&quot as one of it’s options and lets you investigate Mr. Slowcake who never is seen. If you pass it you find out the flowing:
[/quote]
Ah, thank you :)

The Masters are collectors of stories, and devils are collectors of souls. One might reason that the possessor of a notable soul - one that would rise to the top of the Exceptionals - might also be a central character in notable stories.

As for myself, I possess not just one notable soul, but a voluminous and well-indexed library of them. For science, you see. I mean to discover their chemical properties.

An Echo of Slowcake’s card: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kharagal%20Mierqid?fromEchoId=14255876

An Echo of what happens if you ask Slowcake about his platform: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kharagal%20Mierqid?fromEchoId=14255886

I for one, have faith that Mr. Slowcake is more than some fantasy of a diabolical cabal. Show us what you’re made of, show us YOU are truly a person of importance.

Everyone, clap your hands (or other manipulating appendages) if you believe! claps furiously

[quote=datarama]
The Masters are collectors of stories, and devils are collectors of souls. One might reason that the possessor of a notable soul - one that would rise to the top of the Exceptionals - might also be a central character in notable stories.

As for myself, I possess not just one notable soul, but a voluminous and well-indexed library of them. For science, you see. I mean to discover their chemical properties.[/quote]

Are you, perhaps, suggesting Hell and the Bazaar are working together - or perhaps, parallel to each other? Are anarchy and Liberation our only hope? :P
edited by Slyblue on 6/18/2018