Election 1894: A winner announced!

I can’t speak for the lower levels, but at my level [20], the rewards aren’t even good echoes- they’re worth 165 echoes, IIRC, and the materials i spent to reach that level were worth 380. (10 for each type of election material, 2 per level, 380 in total. Given that election material sources are all unprofitable, with the exception of the case, and only that for case notes, i’d say it’s probably more expensive)

I mean, sworn statements aren’t trivial to obtain, but neither are they exceptionally hard to obtain or useful.
edited by Grenem on 7/18/2016

Another question. Was there any different text for non-20s?

Also, I hope that the losing candidates will appear in the year’s Mayoral card. Perhaps causing trouble.
edited by th8827 on 7/18/2016

Haha, you guys are all taking this WAY too ser…

remembers the huge hissy-fit she had after The Seven Day Reign

Nevermind. Carry on :P

As a gentleman who already has an excess of Sworn Statements thanks to the crackpot confessions I hear weekly as a Correspondent, the rewards were a little disappointing. I can only imagine how unrewarding it must be for those who maxed out their Campaign Profession.

So Jenny the sinner has won. no matter. the mayor of London can’t do anything to me if i’m outside of London, hunting seals! nevermind the occasional return to the labyrinth, she would never manage to tax me in time.
either way, it was a fun event, no matter who won.

I loved this event. It had an entirely new premise, provided lots of text to read, and encouraged forum shenanigans. There was never a promise of profitability, and if the reward disappointed you, you can pick up another free item next year and leave the election to others.

EDIT:
Plasmid, there’s no need to return…

edited by TheThirdPolice on 7/18/2016

Time to dance the sacred dance of the Macarena! Woo-ho, Jenny-eeeh!!

I ultimately enjoyed the elections a lot. I also think the idea behind them is very solid, although I admit I am especially looking forward to seeing it refined for next year.

It’s good to have something to fill the time between the Feast of the Rose and the Zee Festival. I was beginning to wonder whether we might get a Bunnymas event. With carnivorous rabbits, presumably.

If you don’t care about the election, surely the best choice is to pick your starting reward and then ignore the election completely? What you got from campaigning was the chance to make it more likely for your candidate to win. If you didn’t care about that, there wasn’t any point in pouring resources into campaigning.[/quote]
Yes- well, no. The turn in options are for 10 echoes per item, and each candidate’s card has a 5 echoes for a election item option. if you can take those, it’s got a minimum epa of 2.5, and probably higher, since you turn in the whole bundle at once.

the point stands. Campaigning costs you something, and for at least two-thirds of options, you see no difference in the final result if future elections are anything like this one. Campaigning is expensive and punishing, which is disappointing- not only did the contrarian get nearly crushed by jenny, but of all 380 echoes of materials minimum, 215 might as well have been thrown down the well that is seeking.

In short, the game’s result for losing adds insult to injury, since the payout is a net loss and your candidate lost. even seeking is better than that, as you progress sometimes. This is completely pointless.

Note: I revoke all complaints if the card is different based on how well you supported your candidate, but this seems unlikely.

I’m really happy the festival had a different ending based on who you supported and how well they did ^_^

[quote=Grenem]Campaigning is expensive and punishing, which is disappointing- not only did the contrarian get nearly crushed by jenny, but of all 380 echoes of materials minimum, 215 might as well have been thrown down the well that is seeking.

In short, the game’s result for losing adds insult to injury, since the payout is a net loss and your candidate lost. even seeking is better than that, as you progress sometimes. This is completely pointless.[/quote]
But it’s not pointless for the supporters of the winning candidate, and you couldn’t know that your candidate was going to lose. It’s a gamble. The mid-election polls made it clear which candidate was ahead, which was an opportunity for people to cut their losses if they wanted to. Or you could choose to only raise your support by building Notability (which has other uses) rather than campaigning, or to simply cash in rewards from the Campaign Resources card for money and say to hell with Neathy politics.

But if you do campaign – the winners get to win, and the losers have spent resources for no reward. That seems reasonable given how real-world elections work.

[quote=penknife][quote=Grenem]Campaigning is expensive and punishing, which is disappointing- not only did the contrarian get nearly crushed by jenny, but of all 380 echoes of materials minimum, 215 might as well have been thrown down the well that is seeking.

In short, the game’s result for losing adds insult to injury, since the payout is a net loss and your candidate lost. even seeking is better than that, as you progress sometimes. This is completely pointless.[/quote]
But it’s not pointless for the supporters of the winning candidate, and you couldn’t know that your candidate was going to lose. It’s a gamble. The mid-election polls made it clear which candidate was ahead, which was an opportunity for people to cut their losses if they wanted to. Or you could choose to only raise your support by building Notability (which has other uses) rather than campaigning, or to simply cash in rewards from the Campaign Resources card for money and say to hell with Neathy politics.

But if you do campaign – the winners get to win, and the losers have spent resources for no reward. That seems reasonable given how real-world elections work.[/quote]
Yes, but in the real world there’s bitterness and bad feelings when your candidate loses, and unless your party is completely incompetent, there’s some token victories for your side. Even if you don’t get a president, you usually get someone into a position of power. Fun trumps realism, unless there’s some very important reason for realism to win, and having lost resources to achieve nothing is not fun. In this case, there’s not, unless you have some better reason than &quotrealistic&quot or &quotit’s supposed to be a gamble&quot.

I might disagree if this election was close, but it sounds like it was a landslide, as far as these things go, and my only option ever was to either make 100000 alts or roll over and accept jenny’s victory. Getting crushed by the least moral candidate because, and i quote from memory, &quotninja prostitute nun&quot is unfun even before the fact that it’s a net loss. as it stands, i am considering celebrating the next election with free wounds for everyone. at least then the suffering will be shared.

If you don’t care about the election, surely the best choice is to pick your starting reward and then ignore the election completely? What you got from campaigning was the chance to make it more likely for your candidate to win. If you didn’t care about that, there wasn’t any point in pouring resources into campaigning.[/quote]
Yes- well, no. The turn in options are for 10 echoes per item, and each candidate’s card has a 5 echoes for a election item option. if you can take those, it’s got a minimum epa of 2.5, and probably higher, since you turn in the whole bundle at once.

the point stands. Campaigning costs you something, and for at least two-thirds of options, you see no difference in the final result if future elections are anything like this one. Campaigning is expensive and punishing, which is disappointing- not only did the contrarian get nearly crushed by jenny, but of all 380 echoes of materials minimum, 215 might as well have been thrown down the well that is seeking.

In short, the game’s result for losing adds insult to injury, since the payout is a net loss and your candidate lost. even seeking is better than that, as you progress sometimes. This is completely pointless.

Note: I revoke all complaints if the card is different based on how well you supported your candidate, but this seems unlikely.

edited by Grenem on 7/18/2016[/quote]
Expensive and punishing is a pretty good simulation of the electoral system :P Like, you contribute money and/or hours and, if its a long shot, you’re going to lose short of a miracle.

For me the satisfaction was knowing I did everything I possibly could for my candidate. I even gave up some of my Parabola-linen to raise my notability. Maybe next time things will go in my candidate’s favor - Jenny won London’s heart, but I get the sense that her margin was unusual and future elections will be closer.

But, you know, the echo loss was not really that great, when I consider the Mourning Candles, Brandy, and Collated Research I earned in the final week plus my campaign’s payout. Getting your election career to 20 is not remotely difficult, afterwards you’re free to profit. The real costs are in Making Waves, but then those costs are independent of the election.

I have Jenny’s post-victory encounter in my journal, for any bishop/contrarian voters who would like to read it. Anyone have the text for the bishop and contrarian they could share?

[quote=Grenem]
Yes, but in the real world there’s bitterness and bad feelings when your candidate loses, and unless your party is completely incompetent, there’s some token victories for your side. Even if you don’t get a president, you usually get someone into a position of power. Fun trumps realism, unless there’s some very important reason for realism to win, and having lost resources to achieve nothing is not fun. In this case, there’s not, unless you have some better reason than &quotrealistic&quot or &quotit’s supposed to be a gamble&quot.[/quote]
The Contrarian does seem rather keen to capitalize on his second place finish, so there’s that.

[quote=Anne Auclair][quote=Grenem]
Yes, but in the real world there’s bitterness and bad feelings when your candidate loses, and unless your party is completely incompetent, there’s some token victories for your side. Even if you don’t get a president, you usually get someone into a position of power. Fun trumps realism, unless there’s some very important reason for realism to win, and having lost resources to achieve nothing is not fun. In this case, there’s not, unless you have some better reason than &quotrealistic&quot or &quotit’s supposed to be a gamble&quot.[/quote]
The Contrarian does seem rather keen to capitalize on his second place finish, so there’s that.[/quote]
Yes, sure, he’s not bitter. that doesn’t keep me from being bitter, or having not enjoyed the election. it was an embarrassing and ignominious defeat, and it sounds like jenny beat the contrarian and the bishop put together. The pittance of a reward doesn’t really help, instead adding insult to the injury.

edited by Grenem on 7/18/2016[/quote]
Expensive and punishing is a pretty good simulation of the electoral system :P Like, you contribute money and/or hours and, if its a long shot, you’re going to lose short of a miracle.

For me the satisfaction was knowing I did everything I possibly could for my candidate. I even gave up some of my Parabola-linen to raise my notability. Maybe next time things will go in my candidate’s favor - Jenny won London’s heart, but I get the sense that her margin was unusual and future elections will be closer.

But, you know, the echo loss was not really that great, when I consider the Mourning Candles, Brandy, and Collated Research I earned in the final week plus my campaign’s payout. Getting your election career to 20 is not remotely difficult, afterwards you’re free to profit. The real costs are in Making Waves, but then those costs are independent of the election.[/quote]
I never said it wasn’t a good simulation, but if london were a good simulation, there’d be permanent side effects from each and every death and scandal like we have with suspicion, most actions would have a low epa at best, we’d need to constantly spend resources on food, and so on. We could irritate the more dangerous factions enough to add permanant menace cards. our success rates would be lower, and so on. why don’t we have this? it’s not fun. Fun trumps realism in games, though both are nice.

I don’t agree with that it paid for itself. none of the options except the three cards were profitable, and I know, relative to the weeks i would have spent for other purposes, I made a loss on the election. The only exception is the source of case notes, which was nice, but as a whole, it felt like throwing money down a hole in retrospect. I do not like Sisyphus simulators.

The entire election left a bad taste in my mouth, even if this is unfair to the election, and giving a relative pittance compared to expenditures in reward added insult to injury.

Thank’s for that!

This is for the Contrarian:
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/MrBurnside?fromEchoId=9120749

I feel like I need to elaborate. The election itself was not terrible. I happened to dislike all the candidates, and made amends by creating a fourth option for people like me, who had no interest in any of those factions winning. Again, I see something that is not nearly as good as it could be, should be, even, and I react via this very forum. You’re (mostly) wonderful people, and I’m not particularly bitter in terms of this Festival in general, but am addressing points that need improvement, or, at the very least, an attentive eye for the next year, such as a better after-election reward and a giving up/bribery option and lack thereof.

Almost everything positive to have said about the election on my own has been said already: It’s a fun community effort, it fleshed out characters, and it made for some forum-wide fun. I’d like to think that this forum would appreciate a critical mind more than a printing press, so I didn’t say those things before. The dislikes on my post made me realize I was, at least partially, wrong. Well, I’ve said these things. I’ve done my feedback-copying duty. I hope that fixes the red numbers next to half of this month’s replies from yours truly.

P.S. If anything tires me this year, it is the silent spot of crimson next to most of my replies. It taunts me, saying that I have, somehow failed this group. I’m not the sort of person to dislike opinions I do not agree with, it’s not going to help (except for this case, it seems.) but I wonder whether those people are. Maybe I’ve been rude, or broken the unspoken rule of the Forums, but it feels, at least from here, like I’ve simply failed to pass the required mark of ‘visible election enjoyment’ to avoid the dislike police.

P.P.S. Watch this post also stabilize at a blazing -1. Also, It’s 1 AM right now, and I’m not in the best of positions in Real Life, so forgive me if I sound too offensive for your intricate tastes.

Here’s the text for the bishop voters

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Pyrodinium?fromEchoId=9120962