Election 1894: A winner announced!

[quote=Màiread]YES!

Almost 10 years of voting and the first time my candidate has actually won. Magnificent.
[/quote]

Same here. My first successful election is in the Neath. I’m happy ! =)

Congrats to Jenny, and all her supporters !

[quote=Hotshot Blackburn]Does anyone have the ‘celebratory’ text for the Bishop? The Contrarian has confided in me as one of his backers, and I’ve overheard Jenny’s text echoed someplace, but not the Bishop.
[/quote]

I was a Bishop supporter (recent weeks have not been a good time for me, in terms of voting success) and have his response to defeat near the top of my mantelpiece at present. Link beneath my sig.

All in-character rage aside, this was an interesting and profitable event, certainly up my character’s alley as a politician! Nice job!

In hands?

But lewd jokes aside: there are Bazaar, empress, parliament, the game and other tidal powers. The mayor won’t have much power and political freedom.

In hands?

But lewd jokes aside: there are Bazaar, empress, parliament, the game and other tidal powers. The mayor won’t have much power and political freedom.[/quote]

Considering just how much blackmail material she dredged up, I wouldn’t count her out so easily. And WOOT, candidate successfullness ^_^

I have to say, the reward for my trouble was quite disappointing, especially in comparison to the loot from Old Hallowmas, or even Sacksmas. We got absolutely no unique items, not a single one. Not even a high-tier scrap item. While the ending results still give good echoes, I feel cheated, as there was nothing unique about the event’s rewards.

We had the opportunity for change. For freedom from the Bazaar. You let that slip through our fingers today. You chose the condescending kindness of authority over the opportunity for real self-determination. I am deeply ashamed. Still, the people’s voice has been heard, misguided as it is. An election, albeit one fixed from every side and supervised by the Ministry’s dubious authority, has been held, and the popular vote seems to have been respected. This is a great triumph. I congratulate Jenny and all of her supporters for their excellent work in securing the election, and wish her all the best in her new position. ^_^[li][/li][li]
edited by Gul al-Ahlaam on 7/18/2016

In hands?

But lewd jokes aside: there are Bazaar, empress, parliament, the game and other tidal powers. The mayor won’t have much power and political freedom.[/quote]

Considering just how much blackmail material she dredged up, I wouldn’t count her out so easily. And WOOT, candidate successfullness ^_[1]
I would. You can’t blackmail the masters- they’ll let it get out, or just set the ministry of decency on you. you can’t blackmail jack, or the [native princess], and most of her blackmail is for society. blackmail is a good tool, but it won’t let you handle foes who can crush you like an ant, and it won’t embolden people to take on bigger threats than the blackmail holds.

1. /quote ↩︎

I wish Jenny is treated as well in her position as she treated all her sponsors, and lives as safely and poisoning-free as her services are. I hope she is as competent as her campaign was, and as free of suffering as her plans for the future are.

In short, I wish her success in her quest and that she gets everything she deserves personally.

This election’s done wonders for my Watchful rating. And I’ve got so much Muscaria Brandy now.

And to think I only got into Fallen London a few weeks ago. Been a hell of a ride so far, and looking forward to more.

I agree. My reaction as pretty much &quot… that’s it?&quot

no even some extra text for having reached 20E.

I just won’t complain too much because tbh it as all pretty easy. But I hope they tweak the event a bit nsxt year.

Huzzuh! We had an election and nothing burned down!

… My standards for success are pretty low.

Not besides the Bishop’s hopes and dreams, of course.

[/quote]
It’s still a disappointing final payout. if you don’t care about the election, the best choice is to choose a token affiliation and either grind case notes or just use the cards. Everything else seems to be unprofitable, which is unpleasant. If your candidate lost, you wasted 215 echoes of election materials compared to just accepting that the most popular one would win. [100 echos in sworn statements, 52.5 in journals, 12.5 in favors in high places]

Which isn’t to say that it’s broken, just to say that casting a vote costs a lot, and ~49% of players achieved nothing for doing it. As a deliberate choice, that’s fine, but don’t forget that it’s still unrewarding to actually campaign. [assuming, of course, that the card provides the same benefits to all- if there’s a campaign-level option, or it’s otherwise improved based on how high you went, i take this back] to be fair, hallowmas often doesn’t have amazing epa either- but it makes up for it with rare items.

It’s not broken, but it means that if you know you’ve lost, [hello, bishop supporters, and contrarian ones too, i suppose] you should dump your materials into items, which doesn’t feel like a good design. given that the materials weren’t worth getting for their 10 echo value in the first place, with the exception of rhetoric for the case notes, it’s less like an actual reward, and more like a refund. not a very large one, either. each election level is 20 echoes minimum, for 380 in total.

Not besides the Bishop’s hopes and dreams, of course.[/quote]

I meant physically of course. My standards are very low. I chose to believe nothing would ever truly stop the Bishop. Do we need to host him a party or a wrestling tournament?

[/quote]

I may remind you of the very first words from my quote:

While, yes, the beginning loot is neat, it is just beginning loot. I felt no reward for PARTICIPATING in the election. I could’ve just as well decided to never even touch the advance your career card, and have enjoyed this more. This is the sort of thing that sounds silly on text, but simply moving the Free Gift to the END of the election would’ve been better. You’ve done what you can. You wipe the sweat off your brows and walk in to see the results. In thanks for your work, you do not get easy-to-acquire (or useless) resources. You get an Item. THE Item. As it is now, this feels like the university storyline. You are punished for progressing it, except there NOTHING at the end, except statements about contributing to some arcane goal that is most likely to bite you back in the buttox. (I will avoid SMEN comparisons, as I have not done that storyline (even if I know of it more than some thanks to the IRC) and there are enough SMEN discussions as is.)

I have to give you credit, though. The image is neat. Good job brightening up the black-and-white forums.

Did the Jenny voters get anything extra?

Mechanically no. The only story difference was getting Jenny’s text at the end.

If you don’t care about the election, surely the best choice is to pick your starting reward and then ignore the election completely? What you got from campaigning was the chance to make it more likely for your candidate to win. If you didn’t care about that, there wasn’t any point in pouring resources into campaigning.