Do to List for a fresh PoSI

Happy Friday, citizens of the Neath!

So, I recently accumulated enough willpower to push for attaining Significant Importance. The beaming feeling of accomplishment was quickly swallowed up by the overwhelming uncertainty of what to do. So, I thought I’d post some info about myself and have you guys help me figure out my next couple of goals.

Stats plus selectively maxed items:

[ul][li]Watchful: 114 + 31 = 145
[/li][li]Shadowy: 89 + 23 = 112[/li][li]Dangerous: 94 + 26 = 120[/li][li]Persuasive: 106 + 28 = 134[/li][/ul][ul][li]Respectable: 0 + 1 = 1[/li][li]Dreaded: 0 + 2 = 2[/li][li]Bizarre: 1 + 4 = 5[/li][/ul]Profile: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Light~Arrow

Now without going through every piece of my progress so far, what would be some notable things to do right away? I’m simply lost as what my direction should be, so you could suggest things based on rewards, storyline, or otherwise. I’d also be more than happy to answer questions about my current progression on specific quest-lines.

I know this is a vague and open-ended question, but thanks for all of your time in advanced! :)

I think the most urgent issue would be to increase Notabilty to 2 and access the 3rd tier professions. Apart from the stat bonuses, the increased weekly reward it will pay for itself. After that, hard to say, I guess is up to your tastes.[li]

Gathering Home Conforts, Joining a CLub, buying a boat, and obtainins transportation are all good places to start (basically filling your expanded inventory).

You can also start to gather Notability and Making Waves, find yourself a profession, or work towards better lodging (not sure what your highest card lodging is atm)

It’s better to get some of the Bizarre/Dreaded/Respectable POSI items before raising your Notability. They help a lot.

Buying a boat is not cheap or quick, but will open up a lot more content. Personally, I’d try securing an item in most of the new inventory slots if you can.

After that, my next suggested priority would be to go ahead and poke around old cards and areas, as quite a few of them will now have new options on them. Also, any areas of the game that you haven’t opened yet (perhaps Wilmot’s End, the Labyrinth of Tigers, or Mahogany Hall, for example,) you should try to gain access to. A lot of the high-end areas will have ways to grind for the odd items needed to secure Home Comforts or the like.

[quote=Myke Harryson]Gathering Home Conforts, Joining a CLub, buying a boat, and obtainins transportation are all good places to start (basically filling your expanded inventory).

You can also start to gather Notability and Making Waves, find yourself a profession, or work towards better lodging (not sure what your highest card lodging is atm)[/quote]
For home comforts, I already have Voluminous Library (Watchful +1) and a Clay Sedan Chair (Bizarre +2) for transportation. I was aiming for the Parthenaeum for club, and I’m not sure about the boat situation… ha. I’m trying my best to find cheap options for Making Waves (at 9, I think?), and I’m currently a Watcher. Housing is 3+ cards right now.

Out of all of those, what should I tackle first?

I can get a total of six quirk points at the same time. Should I shoot for more. or is that a decent number?[li]

[quote=Mordaine Barimen]Buying a boat is not cheap or quick, but will open up a lot more content. Personally, I’d try securing an item in most of the new inventory slots if you can.

After that, my next suggested priority would be to go ahead and poke around old cards and areas, as quite a few of them will now have new options on them. Also, any areas of the game that you haven’t opened yet (perhaps Wilmot’s End, the Labyrinth of Tigers, or Mahogany Hall, for example,) you should try to gain access to. A lot of the high-end areas will have ways to grind for the odd items needed to secure Home Comforts or the like.[/quote]
A boat, eh? I’ve got the quest-line path to get that going, but is it the top priority right now? If so, I’ll get crackin!

Edit: and for all of the advanced items, like Legal Document and Personal Recommendation, is it more efficient to make them at the Bazzar Side-streets through converting, or by the more specific quest methods?
edited by Light Arrow on 3/8/2014

Most of the three card lodgings have extra options on their opportunity cards that can be used to turn unusual items into decent making waves. The Townhouse is great for me personally as an Author, but presumably one of the others will line up with what you earn better.

As for raising your BRD score, the Membership in God’s Editor’s gives a nice +4 Respectable, as does the Parthaneum. the Young Stags are +2 Bizarre and +2 Respecatble, I believe.

the reason I suggested a ship (other than the +2 Bizarre for the Zub or +2 respectable for the Pleasure Yacht) is that you can then go exploring exotic locales like Hunter’s Keep for lots of lore and otherwise hard-to-find items. And that’s before you unlock access to living Polythreme and the anarchic Iron Republic…

I’ll let someone else comment on the pros and cons of using the Side Streets to create items versus making them elsewhere.

I’m a relatively new POSi myself, so I don’t know all of the details, but wanted to let you know what bits I’d learned.

Definitely go for more than 6 total BDR. Each point you have lowers the Making Waves requirement by one level, so the more you have the better off you are. I’d say that once you get God’s Editors and a Club you’re pretty much good to go for Professions. You can pick up more points later on when you feel you need them, or as you explore new places such as Polythreme or the Iron Republic. A lot of good high tier equipment comes with a point of BDR too, so picking up some of those once you’re able will be helpful.

The best way to get each item varies depending on the item. Some are best gotten through the Bazaar Side-streets, like Strong Backed Labour and Legal Documents. Others, like Whirring Contraptions, are better gotten through the cycles in places such as Wilmot’s End. I’m pretty sure that any item you can get by converting your inventory is best acquired in this manner, such as Cellars of Wine and Collated Research.

Edit: The Zubmarine is +1 Bizarre, not +2.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 3/8/2014

Whoops. My apologies. I went with the Yacht and misrecalled its Bizarre value.

It’s a sensible mistake. :) It’d be nice if it were +2 Bizarre. That thing takes a decent amount of work to get! I’m glad Strong-Backed Labour is obtainable with echoes now, so at least getting a Zubmarine is less time consuming than it was before.

Congratulations on becoming a Person of Some Importance! Others have already covered professions, but let me just pass on a piece of advice that helped me: when you decide to get a ship (and it opens up a lot of content), go for the cheap tramp steamer first. If you like zailing, you can always grind for a more impressive one later, especially once you have a better idea of what zailing is like! (Just my two pence.)

If you’re up for a good challenge and want to enjoy Fallen London’s more social activities then get married![li]

My character’s a young POSI but he and his wife were able to get a St. Dustan’s wedding. It took them two weeks but the lore, Notability and the + 1 to all attributes item are worth it.

As a fresh PoSI, acquiring a Gang of Villains early on, while costly, can pay off over time when you need Casing for heists etc. (Obviously this is a lot cheaper if you had been an Enforcer and got the weekly rewards for a while)

in terms of cost/actions, i think it’s easier to grind for echos first, then buy the high-end items in the bazaar to raise your BDR.

actions/items needed to get the expanded inventory equipment(some of them don’t increase BDR) should be a lot more than anything you can buy in the bazaar. but a ship might be worth getting first, if only to open up the very profitable Hunter’s Keep or Polythreme for unique equipment.

personally, i didn’t bother buying the high-end equipment first, but that was a long time ago before notability was introduced? and i got the cheapest steamship just to progress my ambition ASAP, before finding out more about Hunter’s Keep.

Hope no one minds if I piggyback on here? I became a PoSI a few days ago and currently have 14 BDR (1 tattoo, 3 from standard invent, 2 transport, 4 club, 4 affiliation), and main stats of 104W/80S/90D/77P base, 134/110/117/106 selectively boosted. What would you recommend I work on next?

• four card lodging (I’m currently in Wicket lodgings and have 13 Bazaar Permits)
  • Iron Republic & Polythreme (I have a Rusty Tramp Steamer)
  • tier 4 profession (I have 2 Notability and need to pick a tier 3 profession)
  • base stats and main gear

I’m curious if anyone thinks there are significant benefits mechanics-wise to doing any of these first? (Story-wise, I’ll be doing all of them eventually…)

The +4 membership of God’s Editors costs only ~30E of items and 40-70 actions at the Court (so if your aim is BDR and main qualities currently aren’t too important, that should easily take priority over Bazaar gear), and the ~200E of items needed to join a +4 BDR club will only buy you a point at the Bazaar.
[li][/li][li]
edited by Cordial on 3/9/2014

Hmmm…heading to the Iron Republic would be a good idea if you’re planning on focusing on Notability soon. Your stats are a bit low for Polythreme, but the Iron Republic isn’t stat based so you’ll be fine there. Getting one of the four card lodgings would be helpful too! Definitely take care of that prior to heading off to Polythreme.

Thank you!

Would you happen to know how long someone would need to spend in the Iron Republic to experience a decent slice of the content and obtain a Journal? If one were to zail now, could one reasonably be back in London in 48 Surface hours, assuming one may visit again in the future? (I’m very excited about going overzee to a new destination, but alas, a calculating heart also wants to be in the Cave of the Nadir when Time the Healer comes…)

As far as I’ve experienced you’ll only need to spend 1 cycle in the Iron Republic to get a journal. I could go there and back within 48 hours, but I’m not sure if you’re as active as I am. Still, if you’re on for most of the day I’d say go for it. You should be back with time to spare. :)