Do to List for a fresh PoSI

I’ve been a POSI for quite some time, actually, but still haven’t found a way to the Iron Republic. Perhaps someone can give me a tip?

You’ll need a Brass Ring Connected: Hell 10+ and 3 Marks of Credit. You can buy it off of the Secrets and Spendings card, although allegedly you can also buy it by “Chat with a Local Gossip” in your lodgings.

[li]
Haven’t been there yet but you’ll need a Safe Conduct pass which you can select from the Local Gossip at your Lodgings. You’ll need a Brass Ring, some connected Hell (10), and 3 Marks of Credit Page (which means three Counting the Days Loops).

You can buy it through either location, though personally I’d suggest going through your lodgings; saves a cycle of Spending Secrets.[li]

edited by Raymond R Price on 3/9/2014

There’s two useful cards that rely on stats. I dunno, I personally found Polythreme rather frustrating until I unlocked them.

Fractious Furniture and The Zailors at the Harbor? Useful, but not necessary, although I do agree, relying on stats is better than luck.

I’ve been to the Iron Republic recently. One cycle nets you more than enough Changed by the Iron Republic for a journal. That said, to experience all the content the IR has to offer you’ll need to go through it several times.

Thank you all for your advice! I decided it was safer to zail after Time came-- which meant, of course, that this week they would choose not to come at the usual hour.

Time is supposed to come 7 days after they last came, correct? Not after your most recent switch of professions, or after you become a PoSI, etc.? (Ordinarily I wouldn’t mind them tarrying a bit, but I’d rather not take the Irrigo stat hit if they’re not delayed too long…)[li]
edited by Cordial on 3/11/2014

Yep, 7 days after the last. No action you take will affect when the next will arrive, but sometimes it’s a bit late. It should come soon.

Plus there have been a couple of hiccups of recent that may have adjusted when Time arrives for you.

Do you mean recent downtime, or game changes?

Sorry, I’m only antsy because my main character has spent a few dozen actions sitting in the Cave of the Nadir doing nothing, so if it’s likely most people’s Time arrivals have been adjusted by more than a few hours, I should stop waiting for Time will clear the 8 irrigo for me. (And if the type of hiccups you’re referring to are recurring or frequent, the go-to-Nadir-right-before-Time-arrives strategy isn’t viable, and I should stop trying.)[li]

[color=#009900]An upcoming change will render it deliberately not viable - it makes no fictive sense, and it leads to exactly this kind of frustration, so we’re smoothing out the possibility.[/color][li]

Irrigo is evil. Where’s an Irrigation Suit when you need one?

Thanks for the tips!

So, I’m looking to fill my three &quotone thing only&quot slots, and am in need of suggestions. I already plan to join the Young Stags’ Club (since I foresee more need for Bizarre and Dreaded than for Respectable), but I’m still open to options for my Spouse and Ship (except for the Artist’s Model–I’m sick and tired of seeing her face from the City Vices cards, and somehow I don’t think marriage would help that :P ).
edited by Flipz on 3/18/2014

[quote=Flipz](except for the Artist’s Model–I’m sick and tired of seeing her face from the City Vices cards, and somehow I don’t think marriage would help that :P ).[/quote]I can’t comment on the other possible spouses, but you might change your mind about the Artist’s Model - if you marry her then seeing her again on a card means a 2.5 Echoes profit opportunity. I know I don’t regret this choice :-)

The main question you should ask yourself (either for Spouse, Ship or Club) is whether you’re interested in choosing based on role playing or on specific stats/rewards?

So, personal RP reasons aside, here’s my personal perspective on the advantages of different options:

• Spouse: As I wrote, I’m very satisfied with the Artist’s Model, both for RP reasons as well as for the rewards.[/li][li]Club: Indeed, the Young Stags give Bizarre and Dreaded, but the Parthenaeum gives a useful opportunity card (besides the +4 Respectable, and it’s the same total BDR).[/li][li]Ship: If you just want to zail for cheap take the tramp steamer. If you want to zail faster, take the Zee-Clipper (that was my original ship choice). If you want some Bizarre, take the Zubmarine, but notice that it’s quite expensive. If you want the best BDR boost, take the Yacht (which is what I’ve switched to eventually - specifically for this reason).

[quote=Flipz]So, I’m looking to fill my three &quotone thing only&quot slots, and am in need of suggestions. I already plan to join the Young Stags’ Club (since I foresee more need for Bizarre and Dreaded than for Respectable), but I’m still open to options for my Spouse and Ship (except for the Artist’s Model–I’m sick and tired of seeing her face from the City Vices cards, and somehow I don’t think marriage would help that :P ).
edited by Flipz on 3/18/2014[/quote]

About the Artist’s Model, another player (Spacemarine9 maybe? I don’t remember T.T) pointed out that you can just play the first step in courting her; the Opportunity card will vanish from the deck, opening a fixed storylet in the Bazaar Sidestreets instead. Then you can just leave it there forever or until you decide to further the acquaintance ^^ It also works for the Young Stags card and the like.

About the Club: consider the usefulness of linked Opportunity Cards as well as Quality bonuses. Joining the Parthenaeum provides an Opportunity cards with two options, one giving 150x Whispered Secrets and one reducing the Suspicion Menace by 2 CPs. The Stag’s card’s first option is a 50% chance to get either 100x Greyfields 1882 or 1 CP of Suspicion and Scandal, the second option exchanges 500x Rostygold with 50 CP of Connected: Bohemians and Connected: Society, capped at 31. All in all I prefer the Parthenaeum’s card best.
edited by streetfelineblue on 3/18/2014

[quote=streetfelineblue][quote=Flipz]So, I’m looking to fill my three &quotone thing only&quot slots, and am in need of suggestions. I already plan to join the Young Stags’ Club (since I foresee more need for Bizarre and Dreaded than for Respectable), but I’m still open to options for my Spouse and Ship (except for the Artist’s Model–I’m sick and tired of seeing her face from the City Vices cards, and somehow I don’t think marriage would help that :P ).
edited by Flipz on 3/18/2014[/quote]

About the Artist’s Model, another player (Spacemarine9 maybe? I don’t remember T.T) pointed out that you can just play the first step in courting her; the Opportunity card will vanish from the deck, opening a fixed storylet in the Bazaar Sidestreets instead. Then you can just leave it there forever or until you decide to further the acquaintance ^^ It also works for the Young Stags card and the like.

About the Club: consider the usefulness of linked Opportunity Cards as well as Quality bonuses. Joining the Parthenaeum provides an Opportunity cards with two options, one giving 150x Whispered Secrets and one reducing the Suspicion Menace by 2 CPs. The Stag’s card’s first option is a 50% chance to get either 100x Greyfields 1882 or 1 CP of Suspicion and Scandal, the second option exchanges 500x Rostygold with 50 CP of Connected: Bohemians and Connected: Society, capped at 31. All in all I prefer the Parthenaeum’s card best.
edited by streetfelineblue on 3/18/2014[/quote]

The luck check on the Stags card is ‘How can you fail?’ and from experience, I reckon it’s a 90% chance of success, or 180ppa.

[li]

The Young Stags also have their own opportunity card, with a luck challange that has 90% chance of giving you 2 Echoes worth of Greyfields 1882, and a 10% risk of giving you Scandal and Suspicion (1 CP of both). Which is quite nice, because I don’t have any other efficient sources of wine.

I chose to make my pact with the Master Jewel Thief, as that opens up a Very Infrequent opportunity to steal Magnificent Diamonds. I was hoping that opportunity would come up more often, and now that I’ve been at it for a while I’m not really sure that it was the wisest choice. I also messed up one time and forgot to use my Hastily Scrawled Warning Notes so I could back out from a failure, and lost 4 Echoes worth of Intriguing Gossip as a result. Those second chances are a must, or the expected value of that option is about zero.

Still, since we started working together one month ago, I’ve made 175 Echoes in 45 Actions, at the cost of 300 Intriguing Gossip (60 Echoes) and 44 Hastily Scrawled Warning Notes. The Intriguing Gossip mostly come from helping the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer, and the warning notes come from siding with the Church against the Great Game, the latter of which I’ve now managed to get down below 15 so that I can get the +5 CP from using my velocipede for courier jobs. Quite a few interconnected cards to keep those diamonds coming, so if you’re into that, the Master Jewel Thief is your man.

He also offers an &quoteasy theft&quot that yields 2.32 Echoes worth of lesser jewels, as well as a single warning note, so you could do that if you’ve run out of notes to do the &quotchallenging theft&quot. Then you wouldn’t need as much Intriguing Gossip, and could skip the Church/Great Game conflict entirely. (Both thefts also give Nightmares -1 CP, which is nice, but given the low frequency it’s rather inconsequential.)

For BDR it appears as if the Rubbery Consort is the only choice, and a very good one too. Though that seems to also be reflected in the Fate it costs.