Discussion: Next Year’s Mayoral Candidates

Ideally he’d be put up against one or two opponents who are equally popular.

[quote=Anne Auclair]
I can testify to this. I chose the Implacable Detective because she seemed more ruthless then His Amused Lordship, but not a snuffer.
edited by Anne Auclair on 8/4/2016[/quote]

Well, I chose His Amused Lordship and I have to disagree. He is no pushover compared to the Implacable Detective and the Bishop, despite his friendly manners, I wouldn’t describe him as &quotruthless&quot but he certainly has a darker side that would probably go to any lengths in order to prevent the Garden from being misused (after all, isn’t there a quote from Pratchett about a just man being more dangerous than an evil one?).

The Implacable Detective
The Presbyterate Diplomat
The Acclaimed Beauty

[quote=Anne Auclair][quote=Kestrel Zestvim]
the Wilting Dandy isn’t an especially reasonable candidate, but I have a great deal of affection for him.[/quote]
Again, who is this? ^^ [/quote]

He’s encountered in Ascending the Reliables List of Mr. Pages. The story involved some of my favorite things–plants, queer romance, an option for a deeply satisfying Magnanimous choice, and a souvenir. I was fairly certain he’d shown up in a minor capacity in other storylets, but the wiki doesn’t support that. I reckon I found his story engaging enough, and the souvenir weapon pretty enough, that I over-estimated his presence in the game–meaning he’s even less reasonable than the far-reach I thought earlier.

Tl;dr not mayor material, but more of him would make me a very happy guyl.

What a perfectly delicious candidate she would be. Fiesty, determined, and with the backing of society, she’d be a formidable opponent. What corruptions might she unearth? What might certain people pay to ensure she never takes office?

As for my own considerations…

I think Lyme would make an excellent candidate. He has determination, enough optimism to go his own way, and enough naivete that others might find ways to trick him into doing their bidding. I could easily see the Cheery Man bankrolling him as a stalking horse, a way to influence things beyond the Hill and the Docks. And can you imagine the reactions of Jasper and Frank, to say nothing of half of London?

I’d also like to see if the Captivating Princess might be tempted into joining the ballot. After watching Sinning Jenny win, she might convince herself that here is a way to win back some of the power that her family has squandered. Mr. Wines is still smarting from being kicked to the kerb. Could it be coaxed into backing a royal that wants a taste of democratic might? Would she see support come from a certain island in the zee where roses grow?

A third possible face at the polls would be Colonel Molly. Urchins don’t hold places of power in their gangs for long as age finishes what in-fighting and posturing cannot. A young woman, bereft by the Regiment, but with enough of a reputation that she might start calling in favours from other “grown-up” urchins, people who are in positions of influence below stairs and in the darker corners of Spite. Molly would be blunt, plucky enough to fight hard and demand respect.

Finally, I’d delight in seeing His Amused Lordship stand. He makes the most sense for a candidate: popular, cheerfully accepting of the public eye, and thoughtful enough to inspire confidence in an optimistic populace. Whether he’d be willing to shoulder such responsibilities remains to be seen although I imagine if Jenny were to have moments of self-doubt, she might well corner him at a party to ask his counsel. And how easy would it be for him to consider going from being an advisor to being the one actually making the decisions?

Quoting from the blog post:

How were these new secrets revealed? I must admit that I was rather busy with other stuff at the time so I sort of leveled myself to level 20 on autopilot. Where exactly did I miss these secrets?

[quote=Corran]Quoting from the blog post:

How were these new secrets revealed? I must admit that I was rather busy with other stuff at the time so I sort of leveled myself to level 20 on autopilot. Where exactly did I miss these secrets?[/quote]

The new info was revealed in the first paragraph of text when you completed an investigation in the second half of the festival, the second paragraph being the candidate’s main secret.

I really liked how in the last campaign the candidates were distinct enough to invoke a certain aura around them, easily bringing to mid some meme/associations so that they were recognizable and seemed familiar even if someone doesn’t have great knowledge of FL Lore. They contrasted each other nicely too.

So for a good elections season candidates are not only important as individual characters, but also how their interact with each other in terms of mood, political ideas, etc to create a nice landscape/situation. I loved how each of the candidates were really cool, but in different way, and how I could make sense of role playing their supporter.

The trio i thought would go very nicely together in some hypothetical elections are The Barbed Wit/The Last Constable/Soft-Hearted Widow. I would be so, so torn between the cool and suffrage-y stuff/ the righteous and idealistic and doomed to fail stuff/ les-miserablian care for poor stuff.

For those who do not have Sunless Sea, here is the full text of the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner’s very memorable Roser Wharf cameo ^^

[spoiler]A Dauntless Temperance Campaigner is cooing at your Live Specimen

She was here to protest against the shadow-puppet production of The Honey Harvest, but passes her placard to one of her supporters. &quotHow much for the beastie?&quot

Room in her heart

&quotI never did like to see anything locked up.&quot She searches her purse for payment, as two of her burlier supporters heft the cage. The thing inside is remarkably still. The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner hands over the fee, and pats the cage. &quotCome now, dearie. Let’s get you out of here.&quot[/spoiler]
Like, seriously, how can you not love her after that? ^^

Some elaboration on an earlier post:

There are a lot of social problems in London for a Temperance Campaigner to tackle.

1. Honey addiction, the effects of which can range from merely impoverishing to…extremely terrifying.

2. Normal alcoholism - consider all the drunks in Spite (who are regularly robbed and beaten too).

3. Blackwing Absinthe abuse, which sends people into violent fits of cloaked mischief.

4. Laudanum abuse, a deceptively easy way of treating nightmares.

5. Weird, unsanitary and unregulated meat markets, which make people unaccountably peckish.

6. Indecent entertainments and a Bohemian celebrity culture which sell or glamorize all of the above.

Consider all the misery these social ills have caused. It would be good to see a candidate seek to address them.
edited by Anne Auclair on 8/5/2016

A (mostly) serious evaluation of certain proposed candidates prefaced by a general comment concerning the nature of the enjoyment of elections.

Early on, it was apparent (as revealed by ganoidyn’s wonderful polling) that Jenny would be the first Neathy Mayor of London. That the race was never close, was never really in any doubt, was, to me, the only blemish on the event. As Anne Auclair has pointed out elsewhere in this thread, should the Topsy King be up for election next year, his victory would be even more sweeping than Jenny’s, robbing the election of any sense of suspense. For those of us entertained by the horserace (such as myself), Tristram would be a dull candidate indeed.

Potentially, if only one other very popular candidate ran against the Topsy King, the election might be close. Such a candidate might be the Last Constable. She’s one of the best-developed and faceted characters in Fallen London, there’s wide and fertile scope in her relationship with her father for storytelling … and she’s cute!

Back in London, she is resolved to fix it from the top instead of from the bottom. Whilst away she has grown politically sophisticated and, perhaps, more subtle. She’s still an idealist; but based on certain campaign speeches one has to wonder: to what degree does she now believe the ends justify the means? And just who is providing her with such substantial financial banking?

Another favourite of mine is the Rubbery Entrepreneur. Mostly because I adore Rubberies. But his candidacy would be an opportunity for a bit more Rubbery Lore to come out. Perhaps he is extremely uncomfortable to receive so much public attention, but he’s been forced or cajoled into running by someone or somefluke.

The Soft-Hearted Widow also appeals to me, as a Jenny redux: she’s a do-gooder with a wicked edge and splendid kisses. How and why does she pursue charitable works and a vicious and bloody game? There must be a great backstory here!

And of course, I will repeat my call for the Melancholy Curate and/or His Sister … but that’s just because I have fond memories of them.

The Empress for mayor! Double the power, double the fun.

I come to this game from a more Sunless Sea perspective. With that in mind, I would like to propose the following hypothetical candidates.

The Dark-Spectacled Admiral - Solid, dependable, seeking to rebuild what’s left of London’s Admiralty and influence through proper means. Heavily outnumbered.

The Longshanks Gunner - Once another member of an urchin-gang, now a great believer in freedom and social mobility. Spent some time in Khan’s Shadow, but surely has no real Khanate ties. Surely.

The Lady in Lilac - For those who feel that political promises are always ephemeral and fleeting, the Lady in Lilac is the perfect candidate.

I never said that. I only said that if he is indeed a candidate he should be run against someone as equally popular as himself, such as His Amused Lordship.

I suggest a few potentials.

The Moody Stalwart: The Jovial Contrarian decides to do a 180 and reinvent himself as a scowling, dependable, dedicated public nuisance. No one is quite sure exactly what his end is, but d__n well sure he is doing it!

Your Aunt: A head for getting into trouble, which in politics can be a blessing and a curse. Surprisingly, not as nepotistic as one would believe.

The Beleaguered Secretary: Connected in deep with the shakers of Society’s bureaucracy, knows how to shuffle the deck in her favor and an eye on the brass ring. No, the metaphorical one (I think). A divisive candidate due to a cavalcade of scandals, including the disappearance of a multitude of official communications.

The Garrulous Businessman: A pillar of the community, well known for his success at commerce and intent of returning London to the surface. His inability to avoid sticking his foot firmly in mouth has resulted in questions of his competency and money-making acumen. Not to mention disturbing rumors of close ties to the Khanate and Iron Republic. Doctor Schlomo has been desperately trying to get an appointment.

The Elderly Revolutionary: One of the few old-school firebrands before the Fall, he has had limited public exposure in his lifetime in part due to his radical beliefs regarding the rights of citizens. Nevertheless he has inflamed many, youth and otherwise, to the cause by his refusal to take money from large businesses and a single-minded insistence on political revolution. Barely tolerated by the Masters due to his principled, peaceful stance. Others of the Revolution, however, are concerned that he may hinder their designs.

The Sleepy Surgeon: Perhaps he indulged in a little too much prisoner’s honey. Or he suffers the side effects of Correspondence. Maybe even just naturally that way. Regardless, the surgeon has a quiet melody to his voice and a dedication to piousness that has made him the candidate of the Church. But his hints of a violent past and a desire to invade Hell again leaves many in fear of war.

The Overgoat
: A shoe in. Really, no other possibility. Seriously…

…please stop looking at me like that, Your Goatness.

The Starveling Cat?
The Starveling Cat!
He’ll win your vote.
Or get really fat!

edited by FireOfUnknownOrigin on 8/5/2016
edited by FireOfUnknownOrigin on 8/5/2016

Who is he? If we’ve met then I’ve somehow forgotten him.

Here’s my suggestions
-Topsy king: A quote from the Topsy King, A goden most capering! Hines the walkskies, chanter the powb raggedy men. Dab with viddlo, too, goden!’
-The last constable
-Lyme
edited by Edward Frye on 8/5/2016

[quote=Crater][quote=Anne Auclair]
Finally, I’d delight in seeing His Amused Lordship stand. He makes the most sense for a candidate: popular, cheerfully accepting of the public eye, and thoughtful enough to inspire confidence in an optimistic populace. Whether he’d be willing to shoulder such responsibilities remains to be seen although I imagine if Jenny were to have moments of self-doubt, she might well corner him at a party to ask his counsel. And how easy would it be for him to consider going from being an advisor to being the one actually making the decisions?[/quote][/quote]
I’d like to second Crater here, as he seconded me ^^ Of all the characters put forth, His Amused Lordship is the one that most looks like a mayor.
edited by Anne Auclair on 8/5/2016

[quote=Crater]

I’d also like to see if the Captivating Princess might be tempted into joining the ballot. [/quote]

I am not sure if royalty is allowed to participate in such events, but I would love to see her as a candidate. She has been one of my very favourite characters ever since playing ‘The Gift’ and definitely have the resources and acumen to run, and she’s not exactly light on dark secrets to uncover either.

Of the popular choices so far the Amused Lordship or the Manager appeals most to me, both are high-standing, affable characters who would surely have the popularity to win and it would be very interesting to delve more into their stories.

I would actually prefer the Cheery Man to the Last Constable. It would be very interesting to see him appear like a legitimate politician rather than a crime lord. Although, such a campaign would be fraught with blackmail, intimidation, and even assassination attempt, you know, all the lively side of politics.

That said, there are so many fascinating and, well, exceptional characters in Fallen London (and Sunless Sea) that no matter which characters Failbetter choses, I am sure I can find candidate I could throw my support behind with gusto. I am more concerned with there being more than character I would want to support. Then again, that’s what alts are for :)
edited by Akernis on 8/5/2016
edited by Akernis on 8/5/2016

I never said that. I only said that if he is indeed a candidate he should be run against someone as equally popular as himself, such as His Amused Lordship.[/quote]

[li]
My apologies.

I think my ideal candidate would be the Bishop of St. Fiacre’s: An extraordinarily hard-working, kind-hearted, and thoughtful man. (If you’ve played Discernment and Flint you’ll know what I mean). He’s got a sophisticated view of politics, theology, and morality, and works tirelessly to help people (both on a personal level and more distantly, through bureaucracy). He’s compassionate to the point where he’ll follow you into what he suspects is a trap so that he doesn’t pass up an opportunity to save somebody, but practical enough to hedge his bets and have a contingency plan available. Probably the best potential candidate we’ve got, IMO.

Also, on a perhaps ill-fated lark, I’d like to throw my hat in the ring for Dr. Carrywell. She’s got a keen mind and an avid imagination, ad she’s steeped in all the hidden secrets of the Neath. That’s a combination that leads to successful innovation in the public sector. She’d be able to work to refine the approach of the Special Constables, patronize the arts and sciences, and so on. She’s got experience too! Probably more than anyone else we’ve considered. Though I’m really not sure how much of it carries over…
[li]