Discussion: Next Year’s Mayoral Candidates

1. Feducci- He looks like a tomb-colonist and one of his campaign platforms could be about being nicer to them. He already has contacts with many players, both through the Dangerous storyline and the Dilmun Club, so he’s a fairly well known figure. He runs the fighting rings and the Black ribbon, so he also is involved with many of the Fallen London Factions. But players could investigate him and dig up the fact that he’s actually a Presyberate spy!

2. Veteran Privy Counselor- He’s one of them fancy Society types and what do they like more than being popular. Being Mayor would make him quite popular and he certainly has the money and popularity (among Society) to do it. He’s also essentially a career politician and many players know him from the Persuasive storyline. Investigating him could reveal that he isn’t particularly fond of the &quotlower classes&quot. A rich person looking down on the poor? Scandalous!

3. Bishop of St. Fiacres- He is religious, and not as shouty as Southwark, so that should garner him a lot of support. He’d probably be the candidate that advocates more for the lower classes, with genuine intention. Investigating him would reveal the fact that he’s actually a Snuffer.

I want to third The Last Constable and second The Barbed Wit and The Ambitious Barrister.
But I agree that nonhuman representation would be a positive thing.

Would The Tiger Keeper campaigning constitute a spoiler for new players?
Would The Pirate-Poet be eligible, being a companion to players already?

Pirate poet should be fine, unless we’re ruling out the last constable as well.
More suggestions:
-Molly from the regiment
-A new sequencer
-the albino rat (campaigning on behalf of the watchmaker’s daughter)
edited by suinicide on 8/4/2016

The glorious return of the Last Constable will not be postponed indefinitely. The election is a prime time for her to run on a platform of fighting crime and organizing a force to protect the Londoners, not Masters.

The Implacable Detective is also an inspiring choice. Her vigilance will help her to thrive within byzantine London politics and destory the plots of evildoers. She is also highly respected in many circles. Finally, she could sponsor expeditions to Presbyter to expand the reach of London and reach the Mountain.

Soft-hearted widow will be a splendid candidate, with her focus on helping the destitute, even if they escape from prison. She also doesn’t have as much to do with the end of Knife-and-Candle season, so her free time can be used for campaigning.

Wry Functionary would probably be the greatest mayor in terms of political experience, as he is enmeshed into the Palace politics well enough that the movement into mayor position won’t make much of a difference. He is talkative, but has substance. He also doesn’t seem like a man with a massive loyalty to some hidden and somewhat nefarious power(s), which makes him better than probably the vast majority of other possible candidates.

One problem about the Last Constable is that she is…too good, there wouldn’t be anything really bad to find about her and since she is so bloody good there will be little reasons to vote for people who have dark secrets, oh, and the problem that every assasin in bloody London would go for her, but the first one is more important for this.

I bet that she’d try to stop Correspondents and other Benthic folks for uncovering the secrets of the universe/burminating the countryside, so that problem’s solved.

I really like the suggestions of the Last Constable and the Bishop of St. Fiacres.

A lot of people already voiced the one candidate I’ve had in mind, who is the Topsy King. Though I didn’t know he had a bigger role in an ambition. He’s one of the most interesting characters to me so it would be fun to see how he’d handle an election. Just imagine urchins and criminals urging people in the street to vote in their own way.

The Last Constable is another good choice but I’m unsure about it. I’d love to see more content between her and the Cheery Man. The story in the beginning is utterly fascinating. But at the same time I’m not sure if The Last Constable would work out with the Election’s mechanics. At best, the Cheery Man would be a better candidate. It means digging up information on the Last Constable and his family ties. So we could get more content on The Last Constable through him.

Another candidate to consider: Mr. Inch. He has tamed animals and frequents the Labyrinth. Yet he’s apart of Feducci’s circle. Forgive me if there’s more content besides that but I’d love to hear how he joined the Black Ribbon and his story too.

[quote=Parabuteo]I will go North and burn there, so perhaps I am not the best person to listen to in matters of ‘long-term stable government’. But it is clear to me that in terms of candidates likely to exhibit the kind of reckless, unthinking self-destruction I’ve come to love so much, there can be only one answer:

Your very own aunt.[/quote]I support this. Not as a real candidate, because it would be really strange from a RP standpoint, but an Exceptional Story about your aunt’s attempts to get into polytics would be great fun!
You’ll be your manager, of course.

Seriously speaking, I wholeheartedly support the idea of the Topsy King, the Bethlehem Manager and the Last constable as possible candidates. I’d also like to see a non-human candidate, so I also vote for the Rattus Faber Bandit-chef.
(As much as I love rubbery men and fluke-cores, I doubt they would be interested in human politics).

[quote=]Maybe some Sunless Sea characters, like the Voracious Diplomat? [/quote]What about some shiny-eyed New Sequencer from Gran Geode? Having a Mayor in London would be a great first step toward Supremacy: the Dawn Machine.

HE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN Tneeds better and more expansive representation in FL. After all, it is London’s Navy, not the Khanate’s. I wholly support a Pro-Dawn Candidate and their appearance in the next election.
edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 8/4/2016

I’d like to see a candidate who is nominated somewhat against their will. Someone regretful and tired and too old for this nonsense and responsibility, but if elected they’d begrudgingly do a good job. Basically the idea would be someone who is swept into politics by the people rather than going after it themselves.

Maybe the Regretful Soldier would be a good candidate? He’s a war hero like the Bishop, but much less of an activist. I don’t think he’d want to get entangled with bureaucracy either, especially if it means having to deal with devils regularly. But I also think he would be competent at the job even if he needs a drink or two to get by.

Some of the relickers might also work for this. They already travel door to door like a campaigner would, they are popular for giving out nice things, and they really don’t need even more responsibility/mandatory civil service. But it might work as a “break” from their regular jobs too.

I’d nominate Penstock for mayor. Not because my character would like the idea (his Ambition is Nemesis and it’s rather soured him against the Bazaar) but because I quite like Penstock. The Bazaar’s interests are his, which would make for some good story (Mr. Pages’ unintelligible propaganda, for instance) and he’s a fool in love, which is always interesting.

I like the concept of having the Bishop of St. Fiacre’s as major but I’m not sure that that’s balanced seeing as most players who’re part of the Dilmun club are sided against him and y’know, ehm cough snuffer cough.

But I do definetly think that the Church should hold a stake, so I’d like to volunteer the Loquacious Vicar and Father Norton.

[quote=Infinity Simulacrum]I like the concept of having the Bishop of St. Fiacre’s as major but I’m not sure that that’s balanced seeing as most players who’re part of the Dilmun club are sided against him and y’know, ehm cough snuffer cough.

But I do definetly think that the Church should hold a stake, so I’d like to volunteer the Loquacious Vicar and Father Norton.[/quote]
The thing about campaigns is that they’re made up of more then just the candidate. Jenny’s campaign had some small time Mahogany Hall characters in it and the Jovial Contrarian had the Manager and February. So characters who don’t end up as the actual candidates, but who players like and who are better suited to a supporting role, could still make an appearance.

Any election featuring The Topsy King will be his by a landslide, even if he campaigns wearing nothing but live weasels and a grin. I’m not sure this is a point in his favour – he’s just going to be so much more popular than anyone else.

Of characters yet to be backed:

I don’t see why F. F. Gebrandt shouldn’t run on a hygiene ticket, and she’s introduced very early in the game, which is an additional plus. Even assuming that Bazalgette got stuck into this problem before the Fall, and is maybe down here with us, the Stolen River is unlikely to be sparkling – and London’s slum problems are evidently worse than ever. She’d have a strong case and a ready source of slightly-dodgy cash, since slum clearances always results in kickbacks for someone. And what is actually in Tincture of Vigour?

Of characters already nominated:

I strongly favour The Ambitious Barrister, who after all is essentially a force for equal opportunities. But almost everyone will loathe her to start with, and her backer could turn out to be almost anyone.

The Wry Functionary is surely the best reluctant candidate. He’d be great pedantic fun. Make the fellow run.

It would be nice to have a lady of the well in office ;-)

Is he really the least popular Dilmun Club member among players?[/quote]

I preferentially picked him, because I got the impression that he’d have an ambiguous attitude to immortality, and that was a very good fit for me.

Still, I get the impression that His Amused Lordship probably crushes the other two in popularity terms, but that the Implacable Detective will be second – just because a lot of people will chuck accumulated Business Cards at her until they succeed.

Ooooh, this is great fun! Mainly I want particular favorites of mine to run, for the new story content.

Characters already mentioned in this thread, in descending order of YES PLEASE:
Pre-emptive Guinea Pig
Barbed Wit
the Wry Functionary
the Manager of the Royal Beth
Anyone from Mahogany Hall
F.F Gebrandt
Mrs. Plenty
the Topsy King
the Last Constable
the Melancholy Curate

New nominees, likewise listed:
the Presbyterate Diplomat is charming, interesting, and I think plausible
The Honey-Addled Detective is a love whom I’m not sure would willingly run.
the Wilting Dandy isn’t an especially reasonable candidate, but I have a great deal of affection for him.

I’d also like to add the Drownies to the list of Tomb-Colonists & Rats & Devils & Clay Folk (any and all of whom are A+, would like to read about). Are there any regularly-seen drownies aside from the Drownie Keeper?

We should get our good friend Chuffy to run for Mayor! What a lark that would be, eh lads?

[quote=Kestrel Zestvim]
the Wilting Dandy isn’t an especially reasonable candidate, but I have a great deal of affection for him.[/quote]
Again, who is this? ^^

[quote=Tarantula]The Implacable Detective isn’t as nice of a person as either of the other two, though.
Much more motivated by her own individual personal reasons and than the others.
A Ruthless and Subtle lady, sharp as a tack, an old immortality seeker determined to find the Garden.[/quote]
I can testify to this. I chose the Implacable Detective because she seemed more ruthless then His Amused Lordship, but not a snuffer.
edited by Anne Auclair on 8/4/2016