DESTINY GUIDE (read OP)

I lucked out and picked a destiny which perfectly fits my character without checking. Gleam is perfect for me.

No changes for how to get Destinies this Hallowmas - as in recent years, the Visitors lead to their respective Futures:

a) A thud at the window → An Abyssal Future
unlocks with A Tiny Cave-Fish (which you can buy on that very same opportunity card)

b) A greedy thud at the window → An Abyssal Future
You can only see this with SMEN and PtPT: The Drownies!
unlocks with 3 Tiny Cave-Fish, SMEN 1 and “Putting the Pieces Together: The Drownies”! You can get the latter from Courier’s Work in Spite (5 Fate) or from a rare opportunity card when doing the House on Cubit Square Heist.

c) A furtive knock at the back door → An Obscure Future
this branch is open for everyone

d) An unmarked black coach → A Chilly Future
unlocks with A Scholar of the Correspondence 1

e) A metallic rap at the door → A Silvered Future
unlocks with Embroiled in the Wars of Illusion 2 (start this in the Flit).

f) A sword in the streets → A Jewelled Future
this branch is open for everyone

g) The Bishop of Southwark → A Silvered Future
you can only see this with A Brazen Fate - With Cleansing Blade (Fate-locked)

h) A Diabolical Diplomat → A Silvered Future
you can only see this with A Brazen Fate - An Infernal Agent (Fate-locked)

Do those options have any other effects if you already have a destiny?

According to the wiki, they only consume your Making Waves!

So how do you get for the first time to set my destiny? Please help, im new, indeph steps. Thanks.

Thanks for doing this! I am very excited to have gotten a destiny today! Reading over it really helped!

Wish this thread existed when I first started playing. Some of these options sound really intriguing. Still though, I’m sticking with my “Memory” till the end.

I got the Abyssal Future on one of my Seekers without putting the pieces together. It seems they’ve changed it for new Seeking.

Indeed, I have “Visitors at Hallowmas” in my hand right now and the SMEN option “A greedy thud at the window” is no longer there… just the regular “A thud at the window”

I still see both of these options on my card.

Thanks for this guide. I just got access to the Obscure Future branch and I almost selected it without realizing how big a decision it is. I’m fairly new to the game and haven’t gotten too deep into the lore, so I don’t know what half of these destinies are about. I’ve never heard of Lorn-Flukes or Fingerkings (I love this game’s names). Obscure future seems good, but I’m not sure.Would it be a good fit for a more moral and watchful focused character?

There is a moral choice that boosts watchful, if that’s what you mean. there’s other choices that boost other stats, though.

But - vital question - did you obtain Destin’s?

I have decided to wait for my youngest alt to fully mature before getting her a destiny. I rushed through getting destinies for all my other accounts a long time ago and regreted doing that. I would now wait till she has all the prerequisites for the rarest destinies to pick one. There’s no need to hurry. I’d also appreciate the stories better if I learn more about Fallen London. I’ve been playing for 3 years I still don’t really know who or what the Lorn Flukes are.

[quote=Mirrorhouse]I’ve been playing for 3 years I still don’t really know who or what the Lorn Flukes are.[/quote]You can learn a few things about them in Flute Street (Fate-locked), or meet them in Sunless Sea.

[quote=phryne][quote=dov]I still see both of these options on my card.[/quote]That’s weird! I’ve checked both with my main and an alt - one has SMEN, one doesn’t - and both do not see the SMEN option.

Both accounts do have a Destiny. Maybe you can only see it on accounts that haven’t?[/quote]
My character does have a Destiny.

The requirements shown are:

A thud at the window:
1 x Tiny Cave Fish
Nightmares 5
Making Waves 5

A greedy thud at the window:
3 x Tiny Cave Fish
Nightmares 5
Making Waves 5
Seeking Mr Eaten’s Name
Putting the Pieces Together: the Drownies

EDIT for correction: the &quotgreedy thud&quot requires 3 x Tiny Cave Fish, not 1.
edited by dov on 10/27/2016

Flute Street doesn’t talk about Lorn-Flukes, only Flukes.

[quote=Estelle Knoht]Flute Street doesn’t talk about Lorn-Flukes, only Flukes.[/quote]True. Though I think they’re almost the same, just somewhat smaller?
edited by phryne on 10/27/2016

[quote=phryne]A note to Seekers:

We could use the Destiny branch on Pails of Snow (Lacre) until January 6th in recent years - which means that if you achieve St Cerise’s on that day, you can grab St Destin’s via Torment Destiny directly afterwards.

After that, however, Destinies won’t be a thing until the next FotZ festival in August 2017, meaning the only way to obtain St Destin’s candle between January and August will be through the long Notability grind!

Unless, of course, FB change something or everything about this…
edited by phryne on 10/24/2016[/quote]

It seems that it is possible for Seekers to select the Torment destiny anytime.

When choosing a Hallowmas visitor, it sets the quality &quotA Possible Future&quot to 1-6 excluding 2.
This will unlock an option in your Lodgings called &quotThe Gates of Midnight.&quot

It is the option that leads to selecting the destiny branch linked to the Hallowmas visitor you welcomed. It seems to be only locked by Obscurity 6, which means it won’t disappear after Hallowmas. Which means Seekers can select the SMEN branch, &quotThe Taste of Blackest Brine&quot, and restraint from playing this storylet until they achieve St. Cerise.

Not sure if the end of Hallowmas removes &quotA Possible Future&quot, though.

It’ll definitely disappear sometime after the Halloween festivities are over. You don’t lose your Possible Future quality after getting a Destiny.