Constant companion and Club opportunities

Hello everyone,

it doesn’t seem that this has been discussed in the forums yet but… Now that I am A person of Some Importance, the only constant companion that I seem to be able to get is the Jewel Thief, and the only club that may want me is that of the Young Stags. How many different options are there? Should I make more progress or move to different areas to get other opportunities?

There’s another Club chance, the Parthenaeum (+1 Persuasive, +4 Respectable). The relative Opportunity card appears everywhere, but I think I remeber it requires no more than Scandal 2 (or was it 3?), and no more than 19 in Connected: Revolutionaries. About the Constant Companion, I think the only other non-Fate-obtainable one is the Artist’s Model (+1 Watchful).

There are, at present, two clubs and eight companions. You should be able to find another club - the Parthenaeum - and another companion - the Celebrated Artist’s Model - through random card draws. The rest can be found through Flute St or the Fate-locked parts of the Foreign Office.

I believe that the Revolutionaries stipulation has recently been rescinded - I was able to begin the Parthenaeum story despite having heavy Red connections.

I believe that the Revolutionaries stipulation has recently been rescinded - I was able to begin the Parthenaeum story despite having heavy Red connections.[/quote]

Good to know! Are the respectable gentleman of Fallen London start to getting hints of the Master’s ultimate plans for the city? Also, maybe the Scandal threshold was so low as 2.
edited by streetfelineblue on 5/11/2012

How red? I’m dying to know what the Connected: Revolutionaries 100 descriptor is!

Alas, not that red! No, my radical leanings are spread out across Bohemians, the Duchess, Benthic, and the Revolutionaries, in that order.

Something I should point out is that once you have a Clay Sedan Chair, you can still have jolly japes with the Young Stags. Granted they are probably different jolly japes (with different rewards) that you would have if you were a member of good standing, but they certainly don’t snub you if you join The Parthenaeum instead.

Truly Clay Men help to bridge the generation gap. Now I must hunt someone who just might be The Jack of Smiles.

Someone mentioned that there are 8 companions to pursue. Try as i migh i can remember 5 -artist/model face/teeth and a boneless consort? what are the other 3? and no, gender swaps don’t count if they provide the same bonus and opportunities.
edited by Dmitri Zhiriakov on 5/12/2012

[quote=Dmitri Zhiriakov]Someone mentioned that there are 8 companions to pursue. Try as i migh i can remember 5 -artist/model face/teeth and a boneless consort? what are the other 3? and no, gender swaps don’t count if they provide the same bonus and opportunities.
edited by Dmitri Zhiriakov on 5/12/2012[/quote]

While I must applaud your forward-thinking attitudes on bisexuality, I believe you are simply not counting that which Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook finds meaningful to count.

I completed the Fate-locked Foreign Office storyline a while ago, but as I was Committed at the time, I didn’t opt for any of the Foreign Office companions. If you’ve picked one particular FO companion, you can pay Fate to redo the storyline and pick a different one. However, there doesn’t seem to be an option to pick one if you didn’t do so the first time, which seems weird. Am I missing something?

If you picked a home comfort, you cannot pick a companion. You will have to get rid of your comfort first.

Is there any consensus as to whether one of the two current clubs is better, and for what reason(s)?

[quote=Ewan C.]Is there any consensus as to whether one of the two current clubs is better, and for what reason(s)?[/quote] I’d say the Young Stags’. Its opportunity card has an option (‘A matter of luck: how can you fail?’) which gives two echoes of Greyfields 1882, and which indeed, I’ve never managed to fail. You can further leverage that profit with the a presumptuous opportunity card. And I’ve generally found Bizarre and Dreaded harder to raise than Respectable, although the new accoutrements may have changed that, at least for the deep-pocketed.

Although honestly, you can probably only in good conscience join if for some reason you think it’s hilarious to muck with the Duchess’s laundry.

I find that the Parthenaeum is much better. You can get opportunity cards that will either give you 75 secrets or remove Suspition.

Hmmm… isn’t that 150 secrets? I tend to pick the Suspicion-lowering option when it comes up, so perhaps it has changed.

The Celebrated Artist’s Model’s card requires “an Admirer of Beauty” 1 to unlock, doesn’t it? If your tastes ran exclusively masculine it’d be easy to skip that.

And I believe the Flute Street &quotcompanion&quot is, itself, obtainable only through a Fate-locked storylet.

Speaking of companions, have there been any updates on the plans to make the Exceptional Rose pets into Constant Companions? I remember something about that was hinted when the event was occurring.

Nothing yet, but I’m sure it’ll turn up eventually. Probably sometime after removing the Lilac card from the deck.