Connected: Rubbery Men Rework in Progress

[color=#C2B280]As promised last week, we’re in the process of converting Connected: Rubbery Men to the Favours and Renown system. Some branches may be temporarily locked or slightly peculiar in operation while we’re doing this; please bear with us in the mean time. I’ll post again once it’s done.

This includes three new items for characters with Renown: Rubbery Men at high enough levels. All being well, we expect to introduce something similar for other kinds of Renown, to provide additional recognition for those who develop an especially high degree of fame or notoriety. We’re also going to release a new heist today; it will require criminal Favours and will allow you to investigate a mysterious and exceedingly wealthy individual, recently arrived in Fallen London.[/color]

[quote=Flyte][color=#C2B280]As promised last week, we’re in the process of converting Connected: Rubbery Men to the Favours and Renown system. Some branches may be temporarily locked or slightly peculiar in operation while we’re doing this; please bear with us in the mean time. I’ll post again once it’s done.

This includes three new items for characters with Renown: Rubbery Men at high enough levels. All being well, we expect to introduce something similar for other kinds of Renown, to provide additional recognition for those who develop an especially high degree of fame or notoriety. We’re also going to release a new heist today; it will require criminal Favours and will allow you to investigate a mysterious and exceedingly wealthy individual, recently arrived in Fallen London.[/color][/quote]

Does the heist have anything to do with favours other than taking some to start or is it just something that is added along with this update?

edit:and a question to the community, this individual could be a refference to a real life figure, he/she/it may not be, of course, but if he/she/it is, does anyone have any idea who it could be?
edited by The Master on 5/3/2016

I’m looking forward to this going live.

[quote=Robin Mask][quote=Flyte][color=#C2B280]As promised last week, we’re in the process of converting Connected: Rubbery Men to the Favours and Renown system. Some branches may be temporarily locked or slightly peculiar in operation while we’re doing this; please bear with us in the mean time. I’ll post again once it’s done.

This includes three new items for characters with Renown: Rubbery Men at high enough levels. All being well, we expect to introduce something similar for other kinds of Renown, to provide additional recognition for those who develop an especially high degree of fame or notoriety. We’re also going to release a new heist today; it will require criminal Favours and will allow you to investigate a mysterious and exceedingly wealthy individual, recently arrived in Fallen London.[/color][/quote]

Very excited for the new content, especially a heist that introduces a new story and character :)

Little disappointed it requires criminal favours, though, as those guys always earn me a turncoat (which is a pain to reduce) . . . so it feels like I’ll be getting automatically penalised by trying the new heist, but - eh - I guess that’s all a part of the game. The actual use for renown - including items - is a fantastic idea, though, and one I can’t wait to see in practise :)[/quote]

You don’t have to get to 5 favours, as I know the only way to obtain turncoat because of criminal favours is the conflict card and the card where you spend your favours for items(and only sometimes here).

Things are happening, because my Rubbery/Revolutionary conflict card just disappeared. (I don’t think that I discarded it)

Thanks for the heads-up about the Heist. I just raised my Casing… to 8 in preparation. (My method is to use the Gang of Hoodlums twice, get four Inside Information, and have JUST enough left over to actually begin. Very efficient and more than enough to get through.)[li]

Choosing a Heist doesn’t clear Casing, right? I didn’t think it does, but now I’m worried I just blew ten actions.
edited by Saklad5 on 5/3/2016

New heist! Thank you!
<3 <3 <3

you probably didn’t have enough revolutionary connections since conflict cards were changed to 30 before as well, my constabled/rubbery men conflict card is still here.

If the problem is the conflict card, all you have to do is spend Criminal Favours on other things. If you get the conflict card but then your Favours drop below 5 it will auto-discard, which saves you from the potential of getting turncoat. Having an additional storylet means of spending a favour in addition to Thieves’ Cache expeditions and Rag Trade conversions might help you avoid that conflict card overall.

[quote=Robin Mask][quote=The Master]

You don’t have to get to 5 favours, as I know the only way to obtain turncoat because of criminal favours is the conflict card and the card where you spend your favours for items(and only sometimes here).[/quote]

It’s been a long while, but I know there was a reason why I stopped collecting them . . .

I can’t remember if it’s because the conflict card is non-discardable, forcing you to get turncoat or decimate your constable (?) connection, but I feel that may be it . . . once you have a favour, there’s not much you can do to get rid of them, except for spending them, so - if you’re right that spending them also gets a turncoat - you end up with a non-discardable card in your deck and no way to use the favours you’ve gained. So if the heist requires getting favours, it means I’m automatically going to get a turncoat . . . at least, that’s the way it seems, so I gladly admit I may be misunderstanding or misremembering things. I’ve not used the criminal favours at all since I got several turncoats and worked out why, via the forum.[/quote]

The conflict card can’t be discarded, that is correct, but only some options on the card to use your favours increase your turncoat

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/An_implausible_penance

here it is, anyways, you can also use your criminal favours on the call in favours in the filt card, on the card you unlock with 20 renown, and you can also use it to increase your shadowy on their faction card but this requires 5 favours.

[quote=Robin Mask][quote=The Master]

You don’t have to get to 5 favours, as I know the only way to obtain turncoat because of criminal favours is the conflict card and the card where you spend your favours for items(and only sometimes here).[/quote]

It’s been a long while, but I know there was a reason why I stopped collecting them . . .

I can’t remember if it’s because the conflict card is non-discardable, forcing you to get turncoat or decimate your constable (?) connection, but I feel that may be it . . . once you have a favour, there’s not much you can do to get rid of them, except for spending them, so - if you’re right that spending them also gets a turncoat - you end up with a non-discardable card in your deck and no way to use the favours you’ve gained. So if the heist requires getting favours, it means I’m automatically going to get a turncoat . . . at least, that’s the way it seems, so I gladly admit I may be misunderstanding or misremembering things. I’ve not used the criminal favours at all since I got several turncoats and worked out why, via the forum.[/quote]
You can convert your Favours into Renown at the same level you get the card, which is worth going out of your way for anyway. You can also just take the Revolutionaries hit necessary to eliminate Turncoat, or just leave the card in your deck until you use them anyway.[li]
You could also just maintain the “A Guardian of the Realm” quality for “A Power in Waiting,” which will eliminate the Turncoat gain. If you aren’t actively pursuing Boxfuls of Intrigue to get Correspondence Plaques, that is probably best.
Keep in mind that ALL conflict cards will be like that eventually.

The Fate option on the Nodule of Pulsating Amber now requires you to have fewer than 7 Favours: Rubbery Men.

Well, my constables/rubbery men dissapeared too, so I guess that wasn’t it.

[quote=Robin Mask][quote=Jeremy Saklad]
You can convert your Favours into Renown at the same level you get the card, which is worth going out of your way for anyway. You can also just take the Revolutionaries hit necessary to eliminate Turncoat, or just leave the card in your deck until you use them anyway

You could also just maintain the “A Guardian of the Realm” quality for “A Power in Waiting,” which will eliminate the Turncoat gain. If you aren’t actively pursuing Boxfuls of Intrigue to get Correspondence Plaques, that is probably best.Keep in mind that ALL conflict cards will be like that eventually.[/quote]

True, but the ‘revolutionary’ connection is a pain for my character to get . . .

I already am ‘A Guardian of the Realm’, so that won’t make a difference to me.

If I’m honest, I don’t see a point to the turncoat outside of that specific carousel, and if all conflict cards become like that -? I’m going to be peeved, especially because it makes the game so black-and-white instead of shades of grey, where you could build relationships with multiple factions . . . that’s just my opinion, though, and clearly others disagree. heaves sigh. Well, nothing stays the same, I suppose.[/quote]
The idea is that Renown replaces Connected checks, while Favours replace Connected costs. Renown is basically the kind of relationship you are talking about, and that’s permanent.

And if you already have Guardian of the Realm, you have nothing to complain about. You won’t get Turncoat.
[li][/li][li]
edited by Saklad5 on 5/3/2016

[color=#C2B280]We removed Turncoat from the Criminals conflict card several weeks ago – we agree it made that branch too punishing.[/color]

I don’t think any of the other conflict cards give Turncoat, anyway. The updated ones are all pretty costly to your reputation with the faction you side against, but that’s all they do.

Certainly I don’t imagine any of Rubbery conflicts giving out Turncoat.

One of the new items (I’ll put it on my profile) unlocks at 25 renown and 5 favors at the university. It equips as a companion.
edited by suinicide on 5/3/2016

[color=#C2B280]The rework is now complete, and we’ve released the new heist. As ever, please send an email to support@failbettergames.com if you encounter any issues.[/color]

I just had Amber in the Well show up- it unlocked at connect Revolunaires 30 and Rubbery Favours 5. It appears to still be discardable, and promises to either lose me all my favours or a bunch of connections. I’m reluctant to do either, though.

Spending a night in the well is still available, but now requires Daring 8. And the Boxful of Intrigue option is visible, but marked as Impossible.[li]
edited by Gilphon on 5/3/2016[/li][li]
edited by Gilphon on 5/3/2016

So, do we know if there is a new connected pet and a new faction card? And, if not, what is the “standard” means of gaining favours?