Confused about the Affair of the Box

Last year I did some of this story. However, I could never figure it out, although apparently there’s a carousel involved. As well, ended up with a point of &quotA Turncoat&quot without really understanding why. After all that, I became wary of having anything more to do with it.

Any suggestions how I could sort this out, especially get rid of that point of &quotA Turncoat&quot ?e

Each choice is either pro- or anti- masters, you pick a side and stick with it until the end of the carousal. You get turncoat if you switch sides. The only way to get rid of turncoat is if you get it to 4 and pay a large amount of revolutionary connections. (There are other options, but that is the best one)

It’s only like 100 cp, iirc. time-consuming but not really huge losses, can be recovered from in about 7 actions at a cost of 7 suspicion.

You might get another point of Turncoat now, depending on which side you played last. Check your &quotA Power in Waiting&quot quality (under Accomplishments on the Myself tab): if it’s called &quotA Guardian of the Realm&quot you last played a pro-Masters storylet; if it’s &quotThe Conscience of Empire&quot you last played an anti-Masters storylet.

Boxful of Intrigue 0-3:
a) An Agent of the Masters
[color=FF0000]anti-Masters: Expose him to the newspapers
[/color]pro-Masters: Help cover up the sordid business

b) The Unionist
[color=FF0000]anti-Masters: Help her escape
[/color]pro-Masters: Join the hunt

Boxful of Intrigue 4-6:
a) Doing the Rounds
[color=FF0000]anti-Masters: Lie to them
[/color]pro-Masters: Tell them the truth

b) The Course of Love
[color=FF0000]anti-Masters: Keep its agents at bay
[/color]pro-Masters: Help keep them together

Boxful of Intrigue 7-9:
a) A Night of Desperate Ambushes
[color=FF0000]anti-Masters: Defend Spite from the neddy men
[/color]pro-Masters: Wade in with the neddy men

b) Encryption of a Sort
[color=FF0000]anti-Masters: Intercept the messages
[/color]pro-Masters: See that the messages arrive safely

Boxful of Intrigue 10-12:
a) A Salon of a Sort (does not influence A Power in Waiting/Turncoat)

b) A Strong Box
[color=FF0000]anti-Masters: Tell your larcenous colleagues when the strong-box will be moved
[/color]pro-Masters: Tell the gentlemen in blue about any plans for robbery you hear about
edited by phryne on 8/31/2016

Been playing for a couple of years now and I’ve never figured out how to start this story, only reason I know about it at all is because of the forums.I’ve never seen a card nor storylet about it. There’s an unclickable heavy iron box in my inventory, is that connected somehow?

If you have the box, you have started the story. The very beginning in which you first gain the box comes a long way before you can do most of the story. What level is your ‘A Survivor of the Affair of the Box’ quality?

I’m at 11 now and seen Sunday’s show twice, both times were because of a yellow-bordered storylet in Spite. Do I just keep repeating the same storyline until something happens?

[quote=Silvan Derre]I’m at 11 now and seen Sunday’s show twice[/quote]That is… weird. Seeing Sunday’s show should set you to 12 or 14, depending on which option you choose. If you’re positive that didn’t happen, this sounds like it’s worth a bug report!

I’ll see if stealing the key for a third time would do the trick. If not, bug report it is. Thank you all for the help:D

You’ll have to do Sunday’s show until you succeed at one of the challenges. (There’s three different versions of the Sunday show, one at A Survivor less than 11, one with exactly 11, and one with over 11.) After you succeed, the quality will increase to 12, and you can choose whether you’re on the side of the Masters or against them.

From that point on, the mechanics of the story will be a little different - there will be one storylet to progress the story, requiring A Boxful of Intrigue 13, and two other storylets (changing with Boxful of Intrigue level) with two options each, both increasing Boxful of Intrigue by one level. If you choose the option aligning with your current support, it will also increase the Empire’s Kingmaker quality. If you choose the pro-Masters option while anti-Masters, or vice versa, it will flip your allegiance and give you a level of A Turncoat. If A Turncoat reaches 4, you’ll be unable to use those storylets until you use a different storylet to remove A Turncoat, the easiest method requiring Connected: Revolutionaries. Many faction conflict cards also have an option to increase Boxful of Intrigue. For the specific options, see phryne’s post above.

Outside the story, the Affair of the Box is well-known for grinding as the Boxful of Intrigue carousel remains open permanently. In addition to the story options, there are several different rewards for which you can cash in Boxful of Intrigue once it reaches 13. The option giving Strangling Willow Absinthe for example is the best method I know of to grind wines of that tier and up through storylets. The most profitable option for cashing in is Mourning Candles, which requires Empire’s Kingmaker 40, or if my math is right 82 Boxful of Intrigue successes supporting your current allegiance. From Boxful of Intrigue 7-9, Intercept the messages from Encryption of a Sort also gives two Correspondence Plaques each time, making anti-Masters more profitable - using that option and cashing out for Mourning Candles gives 1.64 EPA.

I hope all that helps, and was reasonably coherent!

[quote=Optimatum][quote=Silvan Derre]I’m at 11 now and seen Sunday’s show twice, both times were because of a yellow-bordered storylet in Spite. Do I just keep repeating the same storyline until something happens?[/quote] After you succeed, the quality will increase to 12, and you can choose whether you’re on the side of the Masters or against them.
[/quote]

Well I distinctly remember successfully stealing the key from the Princess(es) twice now with my Survivor quality stubbornly refusing to move up. I’ll give it another go and see if third’s time the charm!

And amazingly comprehensive guide there, Optimatum:D

[quote=Silvan Derre][quote=Optimatum][quote=Silvan Derre]I’m at 11 now and seen Sunday’s show twice, both times were because of a yellow-bordered storylet in Spite. Do I just keep repeating the same storyline until something happens?[/quote] After you succeed, the quality will increase to 12, and you can choose whether you’re on the side of the Masters or against them.
[/quote]

Well I distinctly remember successfully stealing the key from the Princess(es) twice now with my Survivor quality stubbornly refusing to move up. I’ll give it another go and see if third’s time the charm!

And amazingly comprehensive guide there, Optimatum:D[/quote]
A slight correction: two of the options from the Sunday show will set it to 12, and one will set it to 14. Did you choose the same option both times before?

[quote=Optimatum][quote=Silvan Derre][quote=Optimatum][quote=Silvan Derre]I’m at 11 now and seen Sunday’s show twice, both times were because of a yellow-bordered storylet in Spite. Do I just keep repeating the same storyline until something happens?[/quote] After you succeed, the quality will increase to 12, and you can choose whether you’re on the side of the Masters or against them.
[/quote]

And amazingly comprehensive guide there, Optimatum:D[/quote]
A slight correction: two of the options from the Sunday show will set it to 12, and one will set it to 14. Did you choose the same option both times before?[/quote]

Yes, I succeeded in stealing the locket from their dressing room twice. Was that the wrong choice after all?

[quote=Silvan Derre][quote=Optimatum]
A slight correction: two of the options from the Sunday show will set it to 12, and one will set it to 14. Did you choose the same option both times before?[/quote]

Yes, I succeeded in stealing the locket from their dressing room twice. Was that the wrong choice after all?[/quote]

That should set it to 12; all three options should progress the story. If you’re willing, would you try that option again before trying one of the other two? It sounds like there may be a bug with that specific option so confirming it’s only a problem there would make it easier to fix.

[quote=Optimatum][quote=Silvan Derre][quote=Optimatum]

Yes, I succeeded in stealing the locket from their dressing room twice. Was that the wrong choice after all?[/quote]

That should set it to 12; all three options should progress the story. If you’re willing, would you try that option again before trying one of the other two? It sounds like there may be a bug with that specific option so confirming it’s only a problem there would make it easier to fix.[/quote]

Unfortunately, I betrayed Jasper and Frank this time so we’ll never know… That option did advance the story though, so it’s all in the past now:) I sided with the Masters and wow are they brutal. Thank you for all the advice!

No problem, glad you were able to progress!

My “A Survivor of the Affair of the Box” is 14. My “A Boxful of Intrigue” is 8. In Spite I get the storylet "The D–nable Box " but the only option is “Interested Parties”, which is locked until “A Boxful of Intrigue” is 13. Is the only way I can raise that by playing AotB options on cards I draw?

So you’ve done the Mahogany Hall bit?

I’m at the same level as you so you should have two storylets in Spite that lets you raise A Boxful of Intrigue. At 8 ABoI, the two storylets should be A Night of Desperate Ambushes or An Encryption of Sorts.

Are you a Turncoat?