Commiseration: Our most painful failures

gah! back down to 12 MW, and i have barely any confessions left to cash in. i was so close to getting notability 5 and becoming a monster hunter, too. (62% odds, BDR 22)
edited by Spacemarine9 on 11/15/2013

There are a good many. I suppose not resisting the temptation for the name and continuing the search is my greatest failure. Just need to keep reminding myself that its merely a game. So much loss already. Too much to not continue.

Well, this isn’t a grand, overarching failure, but I’m having no luck with staining my soul. So far, I’ve drawn eleven The Soul and the Numbers, and of those, I only succeeded on three. It’s getting very vexing.

Wasting my ENTIRE wine cellar back when i was doing the court. The house of chimes devoured my huge ammount of morelways.

I don’t know if this counts as a &quotfailure,&quot since the problem was more a lapse in judgement rather than failing a stat check, but I very nearly missed my own wedding by going on an Unterzee voyage during the Feast of the Exceptional Rose earlier this year. I doubled back to London just in time for the 14th, but I blew a great deal of actions only to have to put Polythreme off until our honeymoon.

Not sure if this counts BUT…

I’m at the point in the Missionary and Firebrand story where I am asked to pick a side. I was terribly excited to get to this point, having found both of these characters mysterious and enticing.

And then I found out what the Liberation of Night ACTUALLY means at Hallowmas.

I don’t think I want to do that story any more. It depressed me so much I stopped playing for a week. I still have the Firebrand and Missionary squabbling in my parlor, because I don’t want to pick one.

You will need to make the choice at one point but you still have someways to go before that choice is final. You must bathe in the light of irigo first. Either choice is really negligible at that point.

I once wasted 3 fate by going into autopilot and clicking ok after accidentally clicking my empty deck.

[quote=dragonridingsorceress]Not sure if this counts BUT…

I’m at the point in the Missionary and Firebrand story where I am asked to pick a side. I was terribly excited to get to this point, having found both of these characters mysterious and enticing.

I don’t think I want to do that story any more. It depressed me so much I stopped playing for a week. I still have the Firebrand and Missionary squabbling in my parlor, because I don’t want to pick one.[/quote]
You can sell the information to someone other than the revolutinaries. You can also just lash out at them and leave them, stealing their stuff on the way out later on. Its pretty much 100% worth it unless you want the pet-panion.[li]

[quote=dragonridingsorceress]Not sure if this counts BUT…

I don’t think I want to do that story any more. It depressed me so much I stopped playing for a week. I still have the Firebrand and Missionary squabbling in my parlor, because I don’t want to pick one.[/quote]

That was one hell of a role-playing dilemma for me when I was pursuing the Nadir quest at the same time as the Hallowmas vision. The reasoning I came to was this: regardless of who you side with, you cannot silence both the Missionary and the Firebrand. If you don’t give the Calendar Council the location of the Nadir, someone else will (in fact, there’s nothing stopping February from simply finding it herself like she was while you were looking for it). By selling the information to the Revolutionaries directly, I ingratiated myself to them, such that if there is ever an opportunity to stop the Liberation of Night (and I would imagine there would be with just a bit of Fate), I’d be in the perfect position to do so.

[quote=MrUnderhill89][quote=dragonridingsorceress]Not sure if this counts BUT…

That was one hell of a role-playing dilemma for me when I was pursuing the Nadir quest at the same time as the Hallowmas vision. The reasoning I came to was this: regardless of who you side with, you cannot silence both the Missionary and the Firebrand. If you don’t give the Calendar Council the location of the Nadir, someone else will (in fact, there’s nothing stopping February from simply finding it herself like she was while you were looking for it). By selling the information to the Revolutionaries directly, I ingratiated myself to them, such that if there is ever an opportunity to stop the Liberation of Night (and I would imagine there would be with just a bit of Fate), I’d be in the perfect position to do so. [/quote]
Clever bastard!
I gave it to the great game.[li]

I figured giving it to Hell whould be just flat out inhuman.
Giving it to the revolutinaries whould be out of character.
Giving it to the urchins made no sense. But handing it over to the great game was quite IC because it marked my &quotReturn&quot to the game. Also considering Saint Joshua’s shrine contains irrigo id say the great game alredy has a bit of it. More couldnt hurt.

I got into the cave before Hallowmas. I don’t regret my decision … yet. I haven’t sold the location to anyone though as none of the options are in character.

I laboriously racked up my 6 legal documents, and then to my horror hit the wrong button and dismissed the storylet to get my voluminous library! Am I right to assume the opportunity card will eventually reappear? I sure hope so! [li]

It will.

Whew! Thanks!

[li]

[quote=Blackleaf][quote=MrUnderhill89][quote=dragonridingsorceress]Not sure if this counts BUT…

That was one hell of a role-playing dilemma for me when I was pursuing the Nadir quest at the same time as the Hallowmas vision. The reasoning I came to was this: regardless of who you side with, you cannot silence both the Missionary and the Firebrand. If you don’t give the Calendar Council the location of the Nadir, someone else will (in fact, there’s nothing stopping February from simply finding it herself like she was while you were looking for it). By selling the information to the Revolutionaries directly, I ingratiated myself to them, such that if there is ever an opportunity to stop the Liberation of Night (and I would imagine there would be with just a bit of Fate), I’d be in the perfect position to do so. [/quote]
Clever bastard!
I gave it to the great game.[li]

I figured giving it to Hell whould be just flat out inhuman.
Giving it to the revolutinaries whould be out of character.
Giving it to the urchins made no sense. But handing it over to the great game was quite IC because it marked my &quotReturn&quot to the game. Also considering Saint Joshua’s shrine contains irrigo id say the great game alredy has a bit of it. More couldnt hurt.[/quote]

I thought about that a LOT since I entered the Cave. I’m already Closest to the Great Game and happy ai it is - my character being basically a professional spy before becoming Midnighter, and I still haven’t understood if it meast continuing the Agent’s work at a higher level or forfeiting for doing something similar but with little or no tie to the powers involved in the Great Game.

And so in the end I decided to sell the secret of the Cave of Nadir to…

…No one yet, actually. Point is that I don’t know whether I could need any of the very rare rewards, so I prefer to keep my options open until I’ll be sure that I won’t regret to choose the location of a former Prince of Hell instead of the other tasty treats. Though I should need and INCREDIBLY good reason to covet the other rewards to accept such an out-of-character choice such as selling the secret to Revolutionaries or Hell. But come thinking of it, the Midnighter’s way being so based on the memory-fading qualities of irrigo, am I so sure that I want my potential adversaries in the Great Game to know about it at all?[/li]

Slightly off-topic, but what actually is the Liberation of Night? I chose the SMEN destiny and I only saw a few others, nothing that had to do with it.

[color=#339933]Yoda impression:[/color] There is another.

Unless you’re just planning to sell the reward for Echoes? Then it wouldn’t matter that you can get it from elsewhere and instead get the unique item from the revolutionaries.

My recent painful failure consists of spending time, resources and connections to qualify for becoming an Author through the Demi-Monde card, when it’s apparently much easier through An unsigned message. And as it turns out, I should become an Enforcer anyway. Gah. ::

[color=#339933]Yoda impression:[/color] There is another.

Unless you’re just planning to sell the reward for Echoes? Then it wouldn’t matter that you can get it from elsewhere and instead get the unique item from the revolutionaries.

My recent painful failure consists of spending time, resources and connections to qualify for becoming an Author through the Demi-Monde card, when it’s apparently much easier through An unsigned message. And as it turns out, I should become an Enforcer anyway. Gah. ::[/quote]

LOL Yoda… I know that. BUT. First thing, as I said, it would take me a VERY good reason to betray the secret to the Revolutionaries. And second, I’m not sure about how to spend my Scraps yet; it is possible I’ll need ANOTHER of those last-tier Relickers items, so I’m not going to buy the location from them either… Yet.

About the Professions, don’t worry to much about the grind, but do compare the Profession trees and choose one that you won’t regret later - it is relatively simple to change professions now, but going on the Notability grind becomes harder so at that point It’s just better to stick with whatever you have :s There’s a full prospect on the wiki:

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Profession

Message sent.