Commiseration: Our most painful failures

[quote=streetfelineblue]

About the Professions, don’t worry to much about the grind, but do compare the Profession trees and choose one that you won’t regret later - it is relatively simple to change professions now, but going on the Notability grind becomes harder so at that point It’s just better to stick with whatever you have :s There’s a full prospect on the wiki:

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Profession[/quote]

Actually I worked out that it isn’t too difficult to change your higher tier profession … if you have got 5 Notability already.
The thing is that upgrading your profession doesn’t use the Notability so you just need one action to resign; one to choose the second tier, one to the Notability 2 profession and one to the Notability 5 profession.
Of course it would be safer if you have the Connection card and an Unsigned Message in your hand and have a Favourable Circumstance to force draw an Unsigned Message if it doesn’t turn up again before Time the Healer arrives.

[quote=lady ciel ][quote=streetfelineblue]

About the Professions, don’t worry to much about the grind, but do compare the Profession trees and choose one that you won’t regret later - it is relatively simple to change professions now, but going on the Notability grind becomes harder so at that point It’s just better to stick with whatever you have :s There’s a full prospect on the wiki:

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Profession[/quote]

Actually I worked out that it isn’t too difficult to change your higher tier profession … if you have got 5 Notability already.
The thing is that upgrading your profession doesn’t use the Notability so you just need one action to resign; one to choose the second tier, one to the Notability 2 profession and one to the Notability 5 profession.
Of course it would be safer if you have the Connection card and an Unsigned Message in your hand and have a Favourable Circumstance to force draw an Unsigned Message if it doesn’t turn up again before Time the Healer arrives.[/quote]

I don’t know, I found it difficult to get Notability to 5 even without having to worry about getting two Unsigned Message cards before Time the Healer. Sure you can call it up with Favourable Circumstances, but then you get just two chances at succeeding at a test that’s currently no more than around 50% likely to have a positive outcome. Sure it’s doable, but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone I know. Or possibly I only got a bit too stressed on the whole timed grinding mechanic O_o

Gosh I forgot about the challenge for Notability 5 Professions and not being able to use the second chance trick if you force draw an Unsigned Message. So it is trickier than I thought but it might be easier in the future when the new schemes, and possibly other ways to raise Notability, are introduced.

Yes, news are for Failbetter to implement ways of making the grind a little easier, though the exact means are still undisclosed. Of course, AS SOON as Alexis mentioned a chance to make high-tier Professions easier to get, I HAD to get mine immediately, just so that I’ll be able to boast that &quotin my times&quot it was no meager task to become a [Midnighter, in my case, but really any of the new ones] XDDD

Obviously I thought about changing professions, but I am happy to be a Glassman though I dread to think what the challenge is going to be when the next tier is introduced.

Well, I suppose that at that point the &quotnew&quot, easier system will be implemented. No, I don’t suppose it, I HOPE it XD

I gained a measly 2 levels of Scheme: A Salon from the Great and the Good earlier, starting from 0. ~15 CP my arse. Furthermore, Time, The Healer seems to have arrived after 6 days and 4 hours if I’m checking my mail correctly, dashing my hope of getting Notability 3 in this week’s cycle. Ah well.

Thinking that Time the Healer was going to show up before I could get on again, I tried to get Notability 5 with a 46% chance of success.

No dice. In a short amount of time, I’ll try the gamble again, though with not as much of a chance…[li]

EDIT: WAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Said miserable fortune has reversed. I tried again, with a 30% chance for Notability 5…and I got it! Then I faced down a 39% chance Watchful challenge to become a Correspondent…and won!
edited by Playersideblog on 12/4/2013

I chose what looked like a pretty standard option in my Ambition and ended up losing my Half-Wild Mandrake. D: Goodbye, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. You will be missed.

Similar, except I burned through four favourable circumstances (and 32 fate) before I managed to become a Midnighter. The next morning, I drew the Unsigned Message. The following day, the advent calendar gave me one.
edited by colinsapherson on 12/20/2013

I just spent 11 Actions and Hard-Earned Lessons failing with 48% to feed a wild boar. That’s a 0.075% probability. It only worked on the 12th attempt. I was hoping that the 0.25% probability string of failures I went through with the University investigation wouldn’t be repeated… I mean, made to look downright lucky, quite so soon. I read that we’ll have until next Christmas to finish this year’s Mr Sacks storyline? I’m going to need it if this keeps up. :(

I made the rash decision of consuming the Sumptious Meal soon after I got it not knowing that it also restores ALL your actions, meaning that with 19 actions left, I restored a grand total of 1. The other benefits were a silver lining though.
Another was the failing a chancy Light Fingers storylet that set my progress back significantly. Twice.

I was once a Seeker, I have experienced a lot of exciting and interesting failures.
But there are two words that will haunt me: &quotToo Slow&quot. Two words compound my greatest failure.

&quotToo Slow&quot

non-POSI here, do not get caught when you’re raising “Casing”. All your hard work will be erased when you’re back in prison.

My other account had 100 Hedonist, but I misclicked, and it dropped to 99 Hedonist![li]

Sob.

(What do you mean that’s not a cataclysmic failure. Do you realize how much I enjoy round numbers.)

With SMEN, it was the moment I lost ALL of my second chances. I had hundreds of them, all gone. Then a month later, the second chances became much more useful. But SMEN warns seekers how rough it will be with mr eaten. So the biggest non-SMEN failures were also self-inflicted. Somehow I thought it would be fun to get myself thrown out of the University, then thrown out of Empress Court. I will admit that the scientific expedition thst got me back into the university was pretty fun, but I only have 3 options in the university (shadowy dealings, a colleague with a problem, and committee for safety). Thank goodness shadowy dealings got more interesting lately because I could use the enigma grind. The Empress Court makes me sad because I will probably never see it again. I suppose my only accidental failure was selling the location of the cave of the Nadir to the devils. Later on, I realized selling it to a different faction would have gotten me a fancy new 5 card lodging. Instead, the devils just gave me a scrap of Icory Organza. So I have to take the long route to unlocking those 5-card lodgings.

Misclicked, kicked the Amanuensis out. Satisfying, but far too costly. I am unhappy.

Been there, done that. Although, only once - yet (have chosen not to go back anytime soon).

I failed to get the Waxwail Knife fairly. With a Danger Bonus of +20 it is essentially a lightsaber that boils flesh off the bone - but it will forever be a mark of shame for me.

How do you get it unfairly then?

My failures so far - lost favourable circumstances gained from advent calendar to a bug.
Lost an unsigned message card due to a bug.
Yeah, bugs, they love me so much.