Coming soon: a return to the Forgotten Quarter

I got 2 Magnificent Diamonds and 10 Ostentatious. Not as good money-wise as some of the others, but there aren’t a lot of ways to get Magnificent Diamonds, right?

I think the nicest thing about this whole deal is that you get to keep leftover supplies for future expeditions, so you aren’t penalised for over-packing.
Although I have to question who would be psyched up enough about ARCHAEOLOGY!!! to pack 100 supplies either way. You’d probably need some kind of convoy of wagons to carry that much stuff. Or an army of very loyal porters.
comedy option: a horde of rats carrying your luggage across the Quarter
edited by Spacemarine9 on 6/18/2013

I really liked doing this, I hope that the Impossible options become available soon but first I am going in with more than the 10 Supplies and see if getting more progress makes a difference on the end result.

Hey, that was fun. And I got 500 Souls, so I should be pretty well-set to assemble all the Portfolios of Souls that I need–I was just missing some Sherry.

Though I shall feel somewhat badly about these poor fellows who were spirified away. Ah well. They were probably not very nice anyway.

My unexpected treasure was two Magnificent Diamonds and 10 Ostentatious ones.

At last another use for Airs of London - I just got 4 Archaeologists Progress. Don’t know what effect that had on the Airs of London quality though. But it took me up to 12 Archaeologists Progress so I cashed it in.

My thieves cache was 400 glim. Unpredictable Treasure was 2000 jade, a puzzling map and 3 love stories.

I liked the text for this new story and I’ll definitely be doing this again.

[li]

Oh! And my Unpredictable Treasure was 1 Collection of Curiosities, 4 Aeolian Screams.

I got a collecion of curiousities and 4 aeolian screams

Second expedition I got 400 glim from the cache and the same 2000 jade, puzzling map and 3 touching love stories from the bonus treasure
I wonder if the results are truly random or if there’s some hidden metric by which the result is decided. Probably the former. Probably. (Alllthoooough, were I to guess, I’d say it might be a rich effect based off of your Airs of the Forgotten Quarter which determines the end result, but what do I know. Either that or Storynexus is going to get an update adding randomised quality levels soon.)

For what it’s worth, the Jade treasure gives a numerical value of 77 on the Uncovering an Unpredicable Treasure quality.
Also a pretty nice touch is that the Airs of the Forgotten Quarter are wistful, instead of the Changeable Airs of London.
edited by Spacemarine9 on 6/18/2013

Hoorah! :)

Pretty excited about this. I saw some of the expedition opportunities and most seem really interesting (so I am gathering supplies ATM)

But I wonder if they will add more options to this card (the one that branches into what you want to explore)

Just dug up my second cache - I’m loving the structure, the fascinating little random elements, and the bits of lore!

[quote=Spacemarine9]
Although I have to question who would be psyched up enough about ARCHAEOLOGY!!! to pack 100 supplies[/quote]

The answer is &quotme, apparently&quot

[quote=Spacemarine9]Second expedition I got 400 glim from the cache and the same 2000 jade, puzzling map and 3 touching love stories from the bonus treasure
I wonder if the results are truly random or if there’s some hidden metric by which the result is decided. Probably the former. Probably. (Alllthoooough, were I to guess, I’d say it might be a rich effect based off of your Airs of the Forgotten Quarter which determines the end result, but what do I know. Either that or Storynexus is going to get an update adding randomised quality levels soon.)

For what it’s worth, the Jade treasure gives a numerical value of 77 on the Uncovering an Unpredicable Treasure quality.
Also a pretty nice touch is that the Airs of the Forgotten Quarter are wistful, instead of the Changeable Airs of London.
edited by Spacemarine9 on 6/18/2013[/quote]

I’ve dug up two caches so far, and all I’ve gotten (in addition to the 400 glim) were diamonds—Magnificent and Ostentatious, to be exact. :-)

I’ve done this three times now. Twice I got 400 Glim, 200 Whispered Secrets and a Storm Threnody. Just now I got 500 Souls, a Collection of Curiosities and four Aeolian Screams. Also, the text which came with the Souls was… interesting.

I think Failbetter have struck a perfect balance here between two things which are generally in tension:

a) Making a piece of content accessible to characters of widely ranging ability levels; and
b) Making it appealing to characters at the upper end of that range.

Anyone with moderately decent Watchful can organise an expedition, but the very Watchful can pull it off in fewer actions, so rewards scale appropriately.
edited by Flyte on 6/19/2013

A question, where can I gain Connected: Criminals? I wanna be able to do their expedition

All connections besides Masters can be gotten up to at least 10 easily through the Carnival: you only need 3 Criminals for the Thief’s Cache, so a quick trip to the carnival sideshows will get you what you need

Best place for connected Criminals is probably Mrs Plenty’s Carnival - the sideshows.[li]

ETA - Spacemarine9 types faster than me:)
edited by circe on 6/19/2013

I finished my first expedition! And I must say that -at the very least- I am intrigued and perplexed about this small -according to what I’ve seen so far- piece of lore, I have the feeling it will be relevant. It seems like good material, can’t wait for the full update!

[quote=circe]Best place for connected Criminals is probably Mrs Plenty’s Carnival - the sideshows.

ETA - Spacemarine9 types faster than me:)
edited by circe on 6/19/2013[/quote]

Two visits to the Faded Music Hall Singer bumped me up to the needed amount quite quickly.

edited by Owen Wulf on 6/20/2013