City of the Tracklayers (Discussion Thread)

I figured discussion for the City of the Tracklayers should go here instead of in the &quotMarigold Station&quot thread.

I couldn’t bring myself to kill anyone else for the city, so I duplicated myself and created an Emancipationist utopia at Balmoral, with Furnace in charge. I’m not entirely happy about leaving the Creditor in the lurch, but I wouldn’t be entirely happy with any of the outcomes. Plus, y’know, you can’t just demand someone be your bride, even if you are a sentient piece of geography.

Caroline left a one faced Furnace in charge, after duplicating the Manager. Both non Liberationist factions run the city, which is outside Balmoral and in first city style.

Mine is at the Church in the Wild run by Furnace. It’s made by my second self and is in a style of remembrance.

I made an Emancipationist city at Balmoral out of the willing Cornelius, and Furnace, with her face restored, is running it.
edited by Kaunisenkeli on 6/11/2021

I was aiming for an Emancipationist city by Balmoral, created by my duplicate, with Furnace in charge. I instead ended up with an Emancipationist-Prehistoricist city lead by a Darkly Amused Furnace.

I am satisfied with this outcome, yet
 &quotDarkly Amused&quot? Should I be afraid?

I haven’t proceeded in creating the city yet, but maybe those who have can answer a general question for me.

My main priority is to do right by Furnace. I am still a bit scarred by the outcome of Family and Law which left me on the outs with the Last Constable even though I ensured her survival.

So I’m wondering a) whether Furnace objects to my choosing someone else to found the city instead of her and b) how she feels about restoring her face. Are these choices at least acceptable to her?

[quote=Tystefy]I was aiming for an Emancipationist city by Balmoral, created by my duplicate, with Furnace in charge. I instead ended up with an Emancipationist-Prehistoricist city lead by a Darkly Amused Furnace.
 &quotDarkly Amused&quot? Should I be afraid?[/quote]

What were your Supporting values, if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve been wondering how people get hybrids between two factions.

[quote=Ulysses Kingfisher]I haven’t proceeded in creating the city yet, but maybe those who have can answer a general question for me.

My main priority is to do right by Furnace. I am still a bit scarred by the outcome of Family and Law

So I’m wondering a) whether Furnace objects to my choosing someone else to found the city instead of her and b) how she feels about restoring her face. Are these choices at least acceptable to her?[/quote]

This is what it says in the myself tab about my city: [spoiler]Hinterland City - Foundation 3301 - An Emancipationist City Risen from the Remains of Cornelius, Led without Discernible Regret by Furnace Ancona.

She doesn’t seem to mind, but I haven’t been able to speak directly to her since the Next Stretch of Track storylet has disappeared (understandable as there’s no more track to lay).[/spoiler]
edited by Kaunisenkeli on 6/11/2021

I put it at Balmoral to honor Furnace’s wishes but allowed her to volunteer as she stated she wanted to. The Creditor would know if it was cheated (which we already know could have neath-ending results) and it didn’t ‘demand’ she be its bride, it made an offer. And even stated that it would wait a decade or two in case she changed her mind. Honestly, I wish there had been an option to let her just think about it for 20 years before she determined one way or the other, with a long courtship or something.

Otherwise I would’ve done what you did. Like you said, I didn’t like any of the options, but that was probably the point.

Edited to add: I also agree with her point that if you’re willing to let someone else sacrifice themselves for your goals, you need to be ready to sacrifice yourself.
edited by Toran on 6/11/2021

1 Like

Mine is at Balmoral. It’s an “Anti-Prehistoricist Stronghold Made from Your Doppelganger, with Furnace Ancona in Charge”. I’m a bit confused by this because I’m not really anti-prehistoricist, but the rest is consistent with what I set out to do.

[quote=34Witches][quote=Tystefy]I was aiming for an Emancipationist city by Balmoral, created by my duplicate, with Furnace in charge. I instead ended up with an Emancipationist-Prehistoricist city lead by a Darkly Amused Furnace.
 &quotDarkly Amused&quot? Should I be afraid?[/quote]

What were your Supporting values, if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve been wondering how people get hybrids between two factions.[/quote]

My values were 15 Prehistoricist, 14 Emancipationist, and 2 Liberationist.

Had Emancipationist been two lower, the city might’ve turned out to be Majorly Prehistoricist. Were there ZERO Liberationist, the city could’ve been an anti-liberationist stronghold.

I will admit- as I was laying down track this past year, I didn’t really consider the consequences of the Preh/Eman/Lib values until Marigold Station said &quothey, this is your last chance to change the alignment of the city&quot. I’d been so caught up in shooting two birds with one stone by getting bones from laying tracks that I nearly missed the outcome I wanted.
-
edited by Tystefy on 6/11/2021

I am a petty monster. My revenge on the working class for making me grind skeletons, and the Creditor for barging in to an already stressful Railway venture to demand a wife, is complete. I have trapped them in Station VIII, in a city made of my own duplicate, given Furnace her face back WITHOUT fixing her memory in the hopes that because the remaining Discordant Law afflicting her also compels her to stay the hell away from Mr. Fires then as Mr. Fires sometimes goes to Station VIII Furnace will be unable to aid or abet them. Nobody is in charge because I suppose the game doesn’t consider Mr. Fires’ slimy lackey important enough to deign to acknowledge the existence of, I think. The city is anti-Liberationist so that it can never, ever have a hope of organised resistance against the dark fate I have laid upon it.

My only regret is that my former efforts to get along with everyone/avoid tracklayer stoppages resulted in the city being more Emancipationist than anything. But hey, the other options were making it be Prehistoricist (which in the long term was a doomed effort, as anyone who has played Sunless Skies can tell you) or Liberationist. So I suppose it’s as good as I could get short of some hypothetical Tasty Stronghold Human Abattoir Made From Your Vengeful Avatar, With The Winged And Taloned Steed That Was Formerly The Vake In Charge.

Ah, finally found the qualities everyone’s quoting. I have: A Leaderless City That Was Once Furnace Ancona, Now Emancipationist

And the style is True Beatrice. Which appears to be a place of rest and peace, with cute courtyards for people to sit, based on the text.

I have facilitated the construction of, in the cooling moonlight of Balmoral, a chiefly Emancipationist-aligned city, from the counterpart of a very eager substitute; the Manager of the Royal Bethlehem Hotel nĂ©e Hospital. It is a place built from the Beatrice Tea-Shop School, though not strictly adhering to how the eponymous proprietor would have preferred the style; it is a place of hotels and hospitals and convalescent homes and therapy domes. This is the City of the Rebel’s Refuge; I hope Furnace Ancona can command such a settlement with pride with her face now restored.

I have Hinterland City - Foundation
Hinterland City - Foundation 1701 - A Leaderless Stronghold Sprung From the Bones of Furnace Ancona and Serving Mixed Ideologies.

My final qualities were all within 1 of each other (12-12-11) as intended. I fixed Furnace’s faces but then, instead of making the city of my own double, changed my mind and let Furnace be it instead. She insisted. My style of city is 20 (True Beatrice), official alignment is 700 (mixed), and founding body was 1000 (Furnace).

Here’s what Wojciech got. He also expressed hope for Furnace and himself; I wonder how that would work out.

Hinterland City - Foundation 5251 - A Prehistoricist-Emancipationist Stronghold Made from Half the Manager of the Royal Beth, with a Darkly Amused Furnace Ancona in Charge

Hinterland City - Founding Body 5000 - The Double of the Manager of the Royal Beth
Who was it that gave rise to the city, in the end?

Hinterland City - Official Alignment 250 - Prehistoricist-Emancipationist

Hinterland City - The Style of a City 3 - School of Beatrice

And this is what Fnardl got (both faces were restored before the operation):

Hinterland City - Foundation 1202 - A City That Was Once Furnace Ancona, Now Prehistoricist, with Cornelius Sadly but Proudly Leading

Hinterland City - Founding Body 1000 - Furnace Ancona

Hinterland City - Official Alignment 200 - Prehistoricist?

Hinterland City - The Style of a City 20 - True Beatrice
edited by Wojciech on 6/12/2021

“A Prehistoricist-Emancipationist City That In Every Sense Embodies an Insult to the Great Chain of Being, Discordantly Fabricated from the Manager of the Royal Beth, and Supervised by Your Own Lackey”

I don’t know how my own lackey came into it. Furnace’s face is fixed, and January is in charge of the Tracklayers’ Union; shouldn’t one of them be in charge?

[quote=PJ]&quotA Prehistoricist-Emancipationist City That In Every Sense Embodies an Insult to the Great Chain of Being, Discordantly Fabricated from the Manager of the Royal Beth, and Supervised by Your Own Lackey&quot

I don’t know how my own lackey came into it. Furnace’s face is fixed, and January is in charge of the Tracklayers’ Union; shouldn’t one of them be in charge?[/quote]

What’s the exact level (the number, I mean) of your Hinterland City - Foundation quality? (that description sounds like 5254, but I would have expected it to have been 5260 with January as leader - wondering if it might just be the wrong description)

Indeed, the number is 5260