CHRISTMAS IN THE NEATH: A GUIDE

A &quotShort&quot Guide to Neathmas: (some call it Sackmas…)

This first post will explain the important stories and qualities of the event. The second post will provide information on how best to grind for things you might need.

There are two Fate-locked parts of Sackmas: the Incarnadine Robe and Investigating Mr Sacks with various factions of London. Both will not be discussed here, only hinted at.

The FL Advent Calendar: simply bookmark this page! :)

Putting the Pieces Together: The Taste of Lacre (ptpt:ttol, or for simplicity’s sake, ToL)
What is Lacre? Lacre is Neath-Snow. You’ll be snowed in on every Time the Healer visit between Dec 8 and Jan 6. Each time, you can obtain a Pail of So-Called Snow, and you can get two more from Mr Sacks’ cards (more on them later). Usually, the Advent Calendar also provides one. Paired with specific ToL-increasing options on the Mr Sacks opportunity cards, those pails should be sufficient to push Taste of Lacre (ToL) high enough to create a Noman and/or buy your favourite lodgings at Penstock’s Wicket (between Jan 5 and Jan 31). If you need more ToL, you’ll have to buy Pails of Lacre from urchins.

The price for buying Lacre from urchins is 7 Storm-Threnodies + 1 Night-Whisper (this option also requires Renown: Urchins 10 and is only open as long as you have at least 1 ToL!). Coincidentally, you can sell your soul for this exact price during the Christmas season.

Penstock’s Wicket? Like Penstock’s Land Agency at the Bazaar?
Indeed. A tiny elevator will take you to a place called A Sundered Sea. This is the only time of the year when you can visit this place!

How much ToL do I need?

[ul][li]Depends on what you want to do! If you only want a Remote Address, you can get that for ToL 3, no further requirements.
[/li][/ul][ul][li]If you’re looking for a Remote Address and an exclusive 5-card lodgings, you need at least ToL 10 (+ Notability 3). You can get there with your pails from Time the Healer if you’re lucky/your SotC is 10 or more. All the 5-card lodgings require Notability 3 (which is then consumed); for the upgrade to a Reservation at the Royal Bethlehem you need ToL 7, for the Brass Embassy Guest Room upgrade ToL 8 (and Your Own Infernal Contract), and for the Premises at the Bazaar upgrade ToL 9.
[/li][/ul][ul][li]Note that there are other ways to the 5-card lodgings which are open year-round. The Remote Addresses however are only available at Christmas.[/li][/ul][ul][li]Note also that the lodgings are not mutually exclusive! If you collect enough ToL you can have them all![/li][/ul][ul][li]If you are not interested in lodgings, you might want to know that it’s possible to buy Tears of the Bazaar for 7 ToL in the Cave of the Nadir.
[/li][/ul][ul][li]The price of the Noman increases almost every day![/li][/ul][ul][li]There’s also the Soothe & Cooper Long-Box which you can get for 5 ToL (6 ToL unlock the storylet). It is worth 62.50 Echoes at the Bazaar, or you can sell it at Wolfstack Docks for 3 Favours: The Docks (up to 7), 50 Echoes and a bonus quality for your Sunless Sea character the first time you do it.[/li][/ul]So, how can I get the ToL I need?
[ul][li]The first law of dealing with Pails of So-Called Snow: whatever you do with it, the Pail will be consumed, whether what you did was successful or not!
[/li][/ul][ul][li]Most options to increase ToL with your Snow-Pails are luck-based and capped quite low, while the ToL options on Sacks cards are almost all uncapped.
[/li][/ul][ul][li]The Semiotic Monocle, Tears of the Bazaar and the Dreadful Surmise are the only items that will help increase your ToL beyond 6: up to 8 with the Monocle, up to 11 with Tears and up to 16 with the Surmise.[/li][/ul][ul][li]If you have none of those items, and cannot afford to get them, try to increase ToL to 5 with your Pails of Snow before Mr Sacks comes round (Dec 25). You get one level of ToL for dipping a soul in Lacre, up to ToL 5. Mixing Lacre with a bottle of Broken Giant 1844 and an Extraordinary Implication can get you to ToL 6 if you’re lucky (Note again that the pails are always consumed, meaning you need five pails for ToL 5, and at least six pails for ToL 6). Either way, the Mr Sacks opp cards will be your only options to get further than 6.[/li][/ul][ul][li]You should be able to get four levels of ToL from Mr Sacks, five if you’re a Doctor or Notary. Meaning, even if you’re totally unlucky with your Pails, and can’t afford any fancy items, you should still be able to afford at least one Remote Address!
[/li][/ul][ul][li]If you have only the Monocle, you can reach ToL 8 before Mr Sacks comes round. Again, the pails are always consumed, so you need at least four pails for this in total: use the Monocle on one to reach ToL 3, then dip a soul in lacre twice (ToL 4&5), then use the Monocle for the jump from 5 to 8 - you can’t use it at ToL 6! Note that this is A Scholar of the Correspondence challenge! You need SotC 6 to unlock it, it’s straightforward at SotC 10. If you’re below SotC 10 you might fail at the Monocle challenge, melting your Pail and giving you Wounds but no ToL… anyway, once you’re at 8, you can still put four or five levels on top of that from Sacks cards. (Here’s a different tactic, for a specific goal.)
[/li][/ul][ul][li](Another good way to use the Monocle is when rebuilding ToL from scratch after spending it all at Penstock’s: you’ll need three Pails for this. Use the Monocle option on two Pails (= ToL 6), visit Penstock’s and Take the air (-1 ToL), and then use the Monocle again on a third Pail = ToL 8.)
[/li][/ul][ul][li]With Tears of the Bazaar, you can reach ToL 11, but there is a 20% chance of losing your Vial of Tears upon the relevant action. Of course, you need a few more Pails for that, but if you can afford Tears of the Bazaar, you can probably afford buying Pails of Lacre…
[/li][/ul][ul][li]With a Dreadful Surmise you can reach ToL 16! It is however a very difficult Dangerous challenge, difficult enough to make it worth saving a Mood card in your hand for this option! If you’re lucky enough to have a Surmise, don’t fret: it is safe. Even if you fail at the relevant action, the Surmise won’t be devoured. The Pails, of course, are consumed, but you get an Antique Mystery on top if you’re successful.
[/li][/ul]The 12 Days of Mr Sacks: Starting on Dec 25, Mr Sacks will appear 12 times in your opportunity deck, on cards named &quotDay 1&quot to &quotDay 12&quot. This does not mean that you’ll miss out on one if you can’t be online/forget to log in on one of those days! If you’ve drawn and played Day 1 before Jan 6, you’ll be able to draw all the others too. But note that you have to draw all 12 to unlock Penstock’s Wicket. Those cards are quite frequent though, you usually do not have to look long for them unless the RNG holds a special hatred for you (also, the cards become pinned universal storylets around Jan 15).
Note that the Sacks cards are not repeatable! You can play each of them only once, picking a single option!
If you want/need to milk the most ToL points out of the 12 Days of Mr Sacks, you should have a bottle of Greyfields 1868 First Sporing or a Consonant Violin. If you really need every single point, switch your profession to Doctor or Notary for this. Here’s a 12-Days-Guide for those who need/want as much ToL as possible.

SUMMARY:[b]

Low-level players: it is important to use your Pails of Snow first[/b], and play Mr Sacks’ cards later. Be patient: Mr Sacks might appear in your deck before you have a fifth Pail. Waiting for that fifth Pail before playing the Day 2 card pays off: dipping five souls into the five pails for a certain ToL 5 and then putting the remaining ToL points from the Sacks cards on top is a slow but sure way to get ahead.

Advanced players can be more relaxed about this
- they can descend the wicket, spend some ToL, and build it up again with further Pails. Still, you always have to think about doing things in the correct order: it’s easy to waste precious ToL points from Sacks cards - those should always be stacked on top of what you can get out of your Pails! And since Tears of the Bazaar are always at risk of evaporating, only use them when you have no other option.

As long as you can get to ToL 3, you can descend Penstock’s Wicket as often as you like (and can afford) until January 31. When your ToL drops below 3 and you can’t afford buying further Snow-Pails… that’s it for you for this year!

(Post-script: the steps described are based on the assumption that you want to get ToL as high as possible before Penstock’s Wicket opens. I assume that this guide will be read mostly by newish players, and that’s the best way of going about things for them… but there are of course other ways to play this, especially if you’re planning to do multiple Penstock visits.
If you have a few Tears, a Surmise, and a very high Dangerous you can, for example, totally ignore your Pails at the start and make your first visit with just the ToL points from Sacks cards.)

Further notes:

• Time the Healer will melt all Pails of So-Called Snow around February 1. You will be warned about this one week in advance![/li][/ul][ul][li]Any excess ToL however will be saved until next Christmas![/li][/ul][ul][li]When it Snows in the Neath, you’ll have the option to either get a Pail of So-Called Snow, or an Incarnadine Fur Robe for 30 Fate. With the Robe, you can get 1 of 18 unique gifts from the Masters themselves (14 Home Comforts, 2 Transports, 1 Affiliation, 1 Glove). You will lose your Robe upon receiving your chosen item, meaning you’ll have to buy another Robe next TtH if you want more than one of the unique items.[/li][/ul][ul][li]Keeping a Noman alive for more than two weeks is not easily done. Here’s more information on this particular venture.[/li][/ul][ul][li]Oh, and of course there are Neathy Christmas Cards! They are not in any way related to the Taste of Lacre or anything. But they’re Christmas Cards! With tentacles! You only get a fixed number of these from Time the Healer, so reserve them for your most delicious friends!

:edit:
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 1/13/2021

Grinding for Sackmas:

Dreadful Surmise:
One of the rarest items in the game! Currently, there are only three non-Fate sources: the first is only available at the Feast of the Exceptional Rose, the second an extremely expensive SMEN option. The third option is available only to very advanced players.
The Fate-locked sources are… Flint (120 Fate), Selling your soul at Hallowmas (Watchful 200, 7 Fate) and Investigating Mr Sacks with Benthic Scholars (8 Fate) or Dockers (12 Fate). More on the latter here.
Tears of the Bazaar:
(1) Generally, you can buy a Vial of Tears with ToL 7 in the Cave of the Nadir… though you have to be lucky to draw the right card there, of course. This is probably not interesting if you need your ToL for expensive lodgings, though.
(2) You can get Tears from Fate-locked expeditions in the Forgotten Quarter, though success here isn’t guaranteed.
(3) At Hallowmas, you can get one Vial for 2000 Spirit.
(4) The only other way would be to up-convert other Wines items with the &quotA presumptuous little opportunity&quot card.

Night-Whispers:
(1) Play the Fidgeting Writer and cash out at the Last Hope.
(2) If you have access to the Court of the Wakeful Eye and The Minister of Culture as a companion, you can get 1 Night-Whisper for 20 Tribute. This is advanced content and therefore not accessible to everyone.
(3) For advanced players, another way to grind Night-Whispers is studying Attar in your own Laboratory.
(4) If you’re running expeditions in the Forgotten Quarter anyway, you can get Night-Whispers there, too, but it’s not advisable to start expeditions only for Night-Whispers. The Sanctuary of Crimson Petals has a rare success for 3 Night-Whispers.
(5) You can of course buy one from the Shivering Relicker if you’re desperate, but that’s wasting precious scraps in my opinion.

Storm-Threnodies:
(1) Tricksters receive them as part of their weekly professional reward.
(2) Use a Gang of Hoodlums to steal Journals of Infamy and cross-convert until you have Correspondence Plaques; then up-convert to Threnodies. If you do not have a Gang of Hoodlums, you can still steal the Journals, of course, but it will take more actions.
(3) Depending on how Dangerous you are, it might be more profitable to convert Threnodies all the way up from Primordial Shrieks. These can be earned in Coil 2 of the Labyrinth of Tigers, or through &quotHunting dangerous prey&quot in Wolfstack Docks (2160 Shrieks for one Spider-Council!).
(4) You can exchange 500 Cryptopalaeontological Notes for 4 Threnodies.
(5) If you have an Overgoat or Übergoat, its opp card has an option that can provide you with a Storm-Threnody.
(6) Favouring Urchins over The Widow on their Conflict Card gets you 2 Threnodies.
(7) End-game Correspondents can grind them at Station VIII.
(8) Again, if you’re desperate, there’s always the Shivering Relicker…

A Scholar of the Correspondence:
If you want to use a Semiotic Monocle on your Pails of Snow, you need at least SotC 6. You can get to 6 by these options:
(if you can’t play University Terms anymore and don’t have access to the Court, you’ll probably have to use Correspondence Plaques to reliably expand your knowledge beyond SotC 7)

[ul][li]Seeking Curios and Secrets in the Forgotten Quarter (up to 7)
[/li][/ul][ul][li]End of Term at the University (up to 10; luck-check, requires Connected: Benthic 15)[/li][/ul][ul][li]a rare success during Term (up to 7)[/li][/ul][ul][li]Composing a Correspondence Symphony at Court (up to 10, requires SotC 1)[/li][/ul][ul][li]a present from the Solitary Glim-Sculptor (up to 7, locks when you buy the Key to Flute Street)
[/li][/ul][ul][li]the opp cards of two Fate-locked beasts (a spotted cat and a certain bird-thing, up to 10)
[/li][/ul][ul][li]The Skin of the Bazaar (up to 10, needs SotC 3, super-rare opp card)
[/li][/ul]Extraordinary Implications:
Aside from item conversion and many other opportunities, these can also be earned via the Fidgeting Writer (cashing out early with A Sense of Déjà-Vu). You can grind them in Arbor.

Broken Giant 1844:
Aside from the usual conversion of Wines items, you can get 24 bottles of BG for 5000 bottles of Greyfields 1879 on the &quotA presumptuous little opportunity&quot card. Tricksters and Campaigners get a few bottles every week as part of their Professional Reward.

Greyfields First Sporing 1868:
For the price of a Touching Love Story, 16 of these can now be found in the unlabelled box from the card &quotMr Wines is holding a sale!&quot (50-50 chance)

Magnificent Diamonds:
You can get these as a rare success from Empire Adornments; from &quotPugilism and politics&quot on the &quotImplausible Penance&quot opp card (consumes all 7 Favours: Criminals needed to unlock it); from Burglaries with your Master Jewel-Thief; or as part of the Murderer’s Professional Reward. If you’ve honoured Feducci with a statue at Ealing Station, you can exchange Tomb-Colony Favours for these there. You can also get one with a rare success for the Chalcocite Pagoda expedition in the FQ.

Consonant Violin:
The only way to get your hands on this fancy item is with 5 Mark of Credit Pages from Secrets & Spending/Counting the Days.
:edit:
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 12/17/2020

Don’t forget the real prize for anyone with the lodigings they want already- Tears of the bazaar in the nadir. for 7 points lacre and the right card in the nadir, you can get a Tears of the bazaar. perfect for accelerating your quest to get master’s blood, or the crimson book, or to reach melancholy 15, (i believe, at least, that tears ignore the 10 melancholy cap, and 12 means you can pay to reach 15.)

EDIT: also, you can only get tears directly from fate-locked options- besides the 7 points lacre- a net loss on the tears, though you can save some time by getting airaing that way.
edited by Grenem on 11/8/2015

I’ll read through the guide later tonight and provide some more information when I am done traveling. But to answer your questions, snowbound fired off every week in December last year plus one &quotbonus&quot week in January due to the devs feeling generous that year. Possibly time the healer was acting up and it was a make up week, but it’s been too longtime remember exactly. It was indicated as an unplanned an unusual bonus at the very least so I wouldn’t rely on it happening again this year.

Pails of snow melted on February 1st in 2014. The warning sign of imminent pail melting is the appearance of the special 48 hour only De Gustibus storylet on January 30th to the 31st. Pails don’t melt until de gustibus shows up as that is your last call to spend the pails.
edited by NiteBrite on 11/8/2015

The expeditions are nice if you can to do them for a full year while grinding wines for a Noman. But in November? Fidgeting Writer is your best shot at getting a lot of whispers on such short notice.

I’ll clarify, expeditions to blue heaven are good because it gives night whispers, airag, and storm threnodies. So even though the rewards are random a good many of them are directly useful for tears/pails production and it’s especially good if you have trouble drawing the presumptuous opportunity card. Getting airag directly saves you seven draws of that card per tears created which can be a big deal, especially for bloated decks or people without five card or remote lodgings.

The Fate-locked expeditions actually have a lower chance of producing Night-Whispers because of the range of other options. However, they do have the potential of netting you Tears of the Bazaar directly, although I wouldn’t bank on it.

The rough chances as far as I can tell, for Xmas related items on Expeditions…

Thieves’ Cache: ~25% chance of 1 Storm-Threnody (probably not worth it vs. other methods), 25% chance of 2 Magnificent Diamonds (in case you need those for Sacks)

Shrine of the DBH: ~12% chance of 1 Storm-Threnody, 12.5% chance of 2 Magnificent Diamonds, 12.5% chance of 2 Night Whispers, ~13% chance of 1 Airag

Temple of Uttermost Wind: ~10% chance of each of the following… 2 Magnificent Diamonds, 2 Night Whispers, 1 Tears of the Bazaar. 20% chance of 1 Airag.

Gallery of Serpents: 24% chance of 1 Airag, 26% chance of 1 Tears of the Bazaar

Interestingly, any of these have a 50% chance of netting you SOMETHING useful for Xmas, but the more fate you pay the more powerful that something will be.

Thanks for the additional info on Forgotten Quarter expeditions! I knew I hadn’t got those covered enough (it’s been ages since I undertook one myself). I’ll fit those into my post.

If you read the OP carefully, that information is in there. ;)
Use the Monocle on a Pail to reach ToL 3, then dip a soul in lacre twice (ToL 4&5), then use the monocle for the jump from 5 to 8. Then Tears until 11, from there on only the Dreadful Surmise works.
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 11/9/2015

I’m not going for a long-lived Noman this year as I’ve only been able to accumulate 4 Tears of the Bazaar, but I figure I’ll try for as many 5-card lodgings as I can. Here are my notes on the number of pails needed, in case anyone else finds them useful… or in case I made a mistake somewhere that a more experienced Veteran of Mr. Sacks’ Visits can correct me on! (I only have 1888 and missed all the rest…)

Assuming you have a Semiotic Monocle and sufficiently high Scholar of the Correspondence (10 to have no chance of needing extra pails)…

[ul][li]For each Remote Address lodging, you’ll need 1 Pail. Look at the pail through your semotic monocle to get 3 Taste of Lacre.

[/li][li]For the 5-card Royal Beth lodging, you’ll need 3 Notability and 3 pails. Look at one pail through your monocle, dip a soul in another pail, and look at the third through your monocle to get 7 Taste of Lacre.

[/li][li]For the 5-card Brass Embassy lodging, you’ll need 3 Notability and 4 pails. Look at one pail through your monocle, dip a soul in two more pails, and look at the fourth pail through your monocle to get 8 Taste of Lacre.

[/li][li]For the 5-card Bazaar lodging, you’ll need 3 Notability and at least 4 pails. Look at one pail through your monocle, dip a soul in two more pails, look at a fourth pail through your monocle, then get one more Taste of Lacre (if you have a Dread Surmise, or from huffing Tears of the Bazaar, or from Mr. Sacks) for a total of 9 Taste of Lacre.

[/li][li]On top of lodgings, the Fate-locked stories involving Lacre each take 5 Taste of Lacre, which can be achieved with 2 pails.[/li][/ul]
So if you want all the 5-card lodgings, it should take around 11 pails of snow, although you could substitute some other sources of ToL (like Tears of the Bazaar or Mr Sacks) for some of those. That may mean paying urchins for 3-7 pails, depending on the Advent Calendar, how many weeks of Snowbound there are, and whether or not you get a couple pails from Mr Sacks. At least 3 Night-Whispers / 21 Storm-Threnodies, at most 7 Night-Whispers / 49 Storm-Threnodies.

Here’s another question: without spoiling too much about Fate-locked content – am I right in thinking that paying Fate to have a Master clear your path does NOT give you a Pail but DOES give you a point of ToL, at least up to a certain level? If that’s the case, those who are willing to pay for Incarnadine Fur Robe rewards may want to time that purchase, insofar as it’s possible – instead of dipping a soul in a pail, have a Master clear your path. But not instead of looking through a monocle; that gives you 3 ToL while the Master only gives you 1.
edited by metasynthie on 11/9/2015

Interesting question! It definitely doesn’t give you a Pail, but whether it gives you any ToL… maybe someone has this information stored somewhere?

Something I overlooked: examining Snow through the Monocle is a Scholar of the Correspondence challenge! Unlocked at 6, straightforward at 10; so I’ve added SotC to the grind-post.

A correction: there are seven such items, one of which is under Transportation.

Certainly, in that paying Fate gives far better rewards than not doing so. But both the Fate-locked expeditions have the same cost, so the better outcomes from the Gallery comes only at the cost of a slightly longer expedition.

I sided with the Dutchess last year, and while obtaining the final reward cost some Taste, playing the other special storylets gave enough Taste that I was left with I believe a net gain of four. (Not sure about the exact number, but it was a gain overall, though I don’t know how much the regular card options would give.) This may apply to some or all other Fate-locked faction stories.
edited by Optimatum on 11/9/2015

[quote=Optimatum]
A correction: there are seven such items, one of which is under Transportation.[/quote]
Seven, of course! Thank you. Then there might not be new ones this year, since SEVEN.

I’ve played them all and while I’m not totally sure that there’s always an overall gain, I can definitely say that the ToL you need for the final choice is not something you have to worry about.

[quote=Rupho Schartenhauer]A Scholar of the Correspondence: If you want to use a Semiotic Monocle on your Pails of Snow, you need at least SotC 6. You can get to 6 by all of these options: (if you can’t play University Terms anymore, you’ll have to use Correspondence Plaques to reliably expand your knowledge beyond SotC 7)

[/li][/ul][ul][li]End of Term at the University (up to 10; luck-check, needs Connected: Benthic 15)[/li][/ul][ul][li]a rare success during Term (up to 7)[/li][/ul][ul][li]Beneath the Neath at Mrs Plenty’s Carnival (up to 3)
[/li][/ul][ul][li]A certain ending of FQ expeditions (up to 10)
[/li][/ul][ul][li]The Skin of the Bazaar (up to 10, needs SotC 3, super-rare opp card)[/quote][/li][/ul]
The reward listed as a potential expedition payout is in fact a high-level Bundle of Oddities reward, only obtainable from Surprise Packages and one option on the rare Wolfstack card The Bonfire of the Decencies. You’re also missing writing a Correspondence symphony at court, which requires SotC 1 when it comes time to choose the final result and can raise it up to 10.

[quote=Optimatum][quote=Rupho Schartenhauer]A Scholar of the Correspondence: If you want to use a Semiotic Monocle on your Pails of Snow, you need at least SotC 6. You can get to 6 by all of these options: (if you can’t play University Terms anymore, you’ll have to use Correspondence Plaques to reliably expand your knowledge beyond SotC 7)

[/li][/ul][ul][li]End of Term at the University (up to 10; luck-check, needs Connected: Benthic 15)[/li][/ul][ul][li]a rare success during Term (up to 7)[/li][/ul][ul][li]Beneath the Neath at Mrs Plenty’s Carnival (up to 3)
[/li][/ul][ul][li]A certain ending of FQ expeditions (up to 10)
[/li][/ul][ul][li]The Skin of the Bazaar (up to 10, needs SotC 3, super-rare opp card)[/quote][/li][/ul]
The reward listed as a potential expedition payout is in fact a high-level Bundle of Oddities reward, only obtainable from Surprise Packages and one option on the rare Wolfstack card The Bonfire of the Decencies. You’re also missing writing a Correspondence symphony at court, which requires SotC 1 when it comes time to choose the final result and can raise it up to 10.[/quote]

I believe it’s also possible to get up to SotC 7 from the Solitary Glim Sculptor’s gift opportunity card (http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/A_present_from_the_Solitary_Glim-sculptor). That’s how I upped mine. (It costs wounds and nightmares, though…)

There’s also a certain Fate-locked beast that grants SotC, isn’t there? I have just gotten that particular beast, so I haven’t tried it myself, but that is what I have heard on the forums.

Edit: And oh, how rude of me. Thank you for the guide! This’ll be very helpful, seeing as it’s my first Christmas here!
edited by Sestina Valdis on 11/9/2015

There are two such beasts, though one is much harder to obtain and grants SotC only on passing a luck check. Both options raise it up to 10.

Ah, I messed up Unpredictable Treasures and Bundles of Oddities there.

Can you do that more than once though? The &quotgrinding post&quot is supposed to show repeatable storylets mainly… if we include everything that can be done once it’ll get really long…

The Glim-sculptor card is unlocked by finishing his case after completing the University storyline. It’s only locked after purchasing Flute Street, so any players who have not visited there can repeat it as much as needed. The card is also Frequent rather than Standard.

So I looked into this further with the assistance of a friend’s notes – and it looks like the 12-fate stories all give you…

7 ToL partway through the 12 Days, and then cost 5 ToL at the end, for a net gain of 2. (Not sure where the 4 comes from – maybe that includes gain from other days?) Here’s the thing, though – you don’t HAVE to finish these storylines. You can just keep the 7 ToL and not lose 5, since losing 5 just gets you a valuable (312.5 echo) reward and 100 CP of connection you get at the Sundered Sea. If you don’t have the Duchess’ reward, that’s the only one that can’t be obtained without Fate elsewhere. The Docks fate story, however, will make you miss one opportunity to get a pail.
The 8-fate stories, on the other hand, aren’t quite as worth it. Urchins gives you 1 extra ToL, a Storm-Threnody and 140 CP of Urchins connection, which might be handy if you’re buying pails from them. Benthic gets you 3 ToL, but on days when you can get ToL from non-fate choices. And Revolutionaries gives you no ToL.

I know there might be a 12 Days guide coming, but I’d love to know if this quick rundown seems off at all:
Day 2: various options give +1 ToL; you can play the Consonant Violin, hand over a Greyfields First Sporing or just have some connections at 20
Day 5: +1 ToL option if you are a Celestial (can change this for 2.5E and a Vision of the Surface in the Singing Mandrake) or +1 ToL if doing the Benthic fate story
Day 6: +7 ToL if doing the Duchess fate story
Day 7: +1 ToL if doing the Urchins fate story, or +7 ToL if doing the Widow fate story
Day 8: +1 ToL if you invite Silas in without calling him Silas
Day 9: +1 Pail of Snow option… or if you’ve spent 100 Fate on a Boneless Consort, you can get +2 ToL (and lose some of your Peculiar Enhancement)… or +1 ToL if doing the Benthic fate story… or +7 ToL if doing the Docks fate story
Day 11: +1 ToL for Notaries and Doctors
Day 12: +1 ToL and 1 Pail of Snow for taking advantage of disintegrating Sacks, or +1 ToL if doing the Benthic fate story

Max you can earn without fate: 5 ToL (most seem to be uncapped) and 2 pails of snow, if you are a Celestial Notary or Doctor
Max you can earn with fate: 14 ToL and 1 pail of snow for Celestial Notaries or Doctors with Peculiar Personal Enhancements helping the Widow or Duchess

One other question if anyone remembers: does the Noman cost some of all of your quirks… even at the very beginning of the season?
edited by metasynthie on 11/9/2015

Hrm, hrm… I’m not sure that such detailed discussion of the rewards of Fate-locked stories is allowed on the forums - at least not without spoiler-tags. Use those and you’re probably on the safe side ;)

The wiki says no. It doesn’t cost something of ALL your quirks even at the end, only 3 of Melancholy, Hedonist, Magnanimous, Forceful each.
EDIT: Wait, are those really part of the PRICE? Not just unlocking criteria?

Your rundown seems fine, but I haven’t really looked into this yet. Tomorrow…

So what do I need to do if I want to aim for both the Suite at the Royal Bethleham and The Brass Embassy five card houses? Also, if I have a Dreadful Surmise, it does not get used up if I use it to get more? I do have one but I’m afraid to use it.