Catching Angler Crabs...

I have my ship, but I need a point of Monstrous Anatomy. Not with items, but organically.

Is this path viable for raising Monstrous Anatomy? I’m a Silverer and I already entered Parabola once to have a look around. Unlocked the Laboratory Reflection and Waswood.

1. Lost in Strange Lands
  2. Continue towards (Quarry Home)
  3. Face the (Parabolan Quarry) in (Quarry Home)
  4. Strike down the (Parabolan Quarry) here in (Quarry Home)
  5. Embattled with the (Parabolan Quarry)
  6. Ambush the (Parabolan Quarry) at close range.

Aye, that be a proper way to learn about things both monstrous and anatomical, and ye’ll get a nice trophy for yer trouble to boot.

Unless they changed something, all the crabs are gone.

They got fished out yesterday. Seems to have been much more demand for this than FB expected (there was a finite number of crabs and it didn’t take us all that long to catch the lot). Maybe I am wrong and have missed something, but for all my characters, the crabs are longer around.

Crabs were all gone about 20 hours ago

Awww that sucks! :(

[quote=fishandchips]Awww that sucks! :([/quote] BUT you can still get ready for their next visit; they (and maybe other aquatic friends) will be back one day!

[/quote] BUT you can still get ready for their next visit; they (and maybe other aquatic friends) will be back one day![/quote]

It gladdens me to hear this! Me dread harpoon hungers for peligin-hued flesh!
edited by Captain Zaltbeard on 10/13/2021

[quote]It gladdens me to hear this! Me dread harpoon hungers for peligin-hued flesh!
[/quote]

Really? When will they come back? Next year?

If I remember correctly, this crab hunting is another of their fancy new ‘living world events’.
edited by fishandchips on 10/13/2021
edited by fishandchips on 10/13/2021

I’m still not sure whether crabs were worth hunting, echo-wise. The few I caught gave 5-6 echoes of Rostygold, plus a bit over 16e of other stuff. The final crabs were apparently worth almost 20e of Rostygold in addition to the rest, but I’m not sure how many actions it took to catch one on average

The only word we’ve had on this forum is:

Sometimes FBG folks say things in other forums like Discord, but that’s so hard to keep track of

The only word we’ve had on this forum is:

Sometimes FBG folks say things in other forums like Discord, but that’s so hard to keep track of[/quote]
At least this time all the pieces of information are on publicly-viewable channels!

From the announcement that introduced Living World Events: (emphasis added)

[quote=Bruno Dias]Currently, we have two of those in the pipeline, with more to come in the future depending on how you all react to this set.

These events are small, designed to last for about a week, and with durations and outcomes that depend on what players do. They are meant to be recurring, appearing several times throughout the year.[/quote]
edited by PSGarak on 10/13/2021

Pretty sure they were not. I never got a super late crab hunt, but the ones I had I estimated at somewhere just under 3 EPA. Could be a bit more or less, depending on your stats and which options you picked, but I think they would not compete with the top grinds. And they didn’t give unusual or hard-to-get items.

So it’s certainly not a waste of time, but also no big loss (echo-wise) to miss them. I suspect next time the crabs appear there will be a bit less desire to immediately go and hunt them to extinction.

Hopefully those crabs were just appetizers. I want lifebergs.

There was an ES which was partly set on a lifeberg. I can’t say I have very pleasant memories of it, though (Where You and I Must Go.)

According to the Gazette, crabs are back!

[quote=PSGarak]According to the Gazette, crabs are back![/quote] And they’re back with more friends! Crude early estimate puts extinction some time between Friday evening and Saturday 27th; as long as it’s &quotmore than 48 hours from now&quot I’m feeling fine, though.

Edit: We’re settling towards November 29th at our current rate, although since Crab-hunting becomes more difficult as time goes on and we might lose interest once the second-pass novelty wears off, it might take even longer. …Unless some sort of Sea-Horse Opportunity Card shows up half-way through to speed things along.
edited by elderfleur on 11/16/2021

Let’s go!!!

Current crab population: 49300
edited by KenShi on 11/16/2021

Possibly silly question, where exactly are the crabs? I was told I would see them after boarding my ship, but all I have is the normal ‘chart a course’ map which appears to be crab-free (I’m at monstrous anatomy 5, so I don’t think this is an issue of unlock requirements)

So after you first get to Shepherd’s Wash and catch a crab, starting a new hunt and moving into position takes three actions. Then catching and killing a crab takes another three, for a total of six per crab. Rewards seem to clock in somewhere around 20 echoes. Value… questionable.

Have you reach level 16 of &quotMaking Progress in the Labyrinth of Tigers&quot?