Can You Get Rid of the Item from a Benefactor?

Salutations! I was just wondering if there was any way to get rid of items from the Mysterious Benefactor story once it is done?
I have just deleted my account and started again because there were items in my inventory that I did not want so I really want to avoid it happening again. If at all possible i want to get rid of the option to gain a gift from my loggings though as well…

I don’t think thats possible. You could pay fate and just not complete the story again I guess.
edited by suinicide on 4/21/2016

Ah I see. That is most unfortunate news but thank you for telling me!

'fraid so. :-)
That’s what I did to get rid of my Mirror-Polished Shoes & lower The Protégé of a Mysterious Benefactor Quality back down to 1, so that I wouldn’t draw that Opportunity card anymore.
edited by Kittenpox on 4/22/2016

I am certainly glad I asked before choosing one! Thank you all very much indeed! ^__^

There must be other options before completing the storylet. I certainly had the bag of radiant pink sweeties before dissing my benefactor at some point and having them ripped away. Never saw either of them again.

No worries. If you’ve got more questions about stuff that you’re not sure about whether it’s a liability or not, perhaps this is a good thread to continue asking those.

The ones that come to mind at the moment are: [spoiler]
romancing the Struggling Artist, and some of the lower-tier Lodgings:

• Rooftop Shack
  • Smoky Flophouse Dormitory
  • Lair in the Marshes
  • Cottage by the Observatory
  • Rooms above a Gambling Den
  • Rooms above a Bookshop [/spoiler]
    Your mileage may vary of course, but those are things that in hindsight I would not have done/acquired.

At your Lodgings, is there a gold-bordered action named &quotA gift!&quot ? If so, that would allow you the (dubious) choice of re-obtaining your A Bag of Fierce Mint Humbugs, assuming that’s what you’re referring to. :-)

I’ve never noticed it specifically. At the time, I was not sorry to lose the (bah!) humbugs, having realised I could have chosen more wisely. Now, of course, I know the late development of the tale produces another benefit (and again, another choice would have been preferable),
Thanks for the info.

That card used to be an auto-discard to me, but isn’t now that they’ve capped second chances at 20. Being stat maxed I don’t tend to use many, but I do have a need for Sudden Insights - both to give a second chance on the Ubergoat card, and to cash in for Airag in the Nadir.

I seem to win chess matches far more often than I lose them, so paying 1 action for a Sudden Insight is fine by me for the convenience. Obviously that only works with the Mirror-Polished Shoes though.

[quote=Kittenpox]The ones that come to mind at the moment are:
snip
Your mileage may vary of course, but those are things that in hindsight I would not have done/acquired.[/quote]

For anyone that doesn’t have it yet: Rooftop Shack does become useful in mid-game after you make the Repentant Forger’s acquaintancebut I’d avoid getting it until you’re ready.
edited by MrBurnside on 4/22/2016

All this information is really wonderful! Thank you all so very very much!!

[quote=MrBurnside][quote=Kittenpox]The ones that come to mind at the moment are:
snip
Your mileage may vary of course, but those are things that in hindsight I would not have done/acquired.[/quote]

For anyone that doesn’t have it yet: Rooftop Shack does become useful in mid-game after you make the Repentant Forger’s acquaintancebut I’d avoid getting it until you’re ready.
edited by MrBurnside on 4/22/2016[/quote]

[li]
Mid game? Was I early in

New Newgate

Then? And the Den offers a bit of gambling… and nice lodgings, rare ones I believe. So we only have the shack and the steamer from 3-cards left then?

The Rooftop Shack has the very profitable Forger option and a decent MW one, the Gambling Den has a pretty good MW option, the Flophouse has an option for potentially gaining a criminal favour, the Observatory has a mediocre MW option, the Lair in the Marshes has an option to gain 30 CP of C: Society, and the Decommissioned Steamer is pretty bad functionally but has a REALLY COOL fate option.

Sadly the Bookshop lodgings are basically useless even with being a member of the CVR to use the second option.

Ah, I’ve already done Uncovering Secrets Framed In Gold to its conclusion, and have yet to encounter that individual again (I’ve been avoiding prison for a while now.)

Anyway, with the Lodgings: the Handsome Townhouse is still fantastic until you’re able to save up for 4-card Lodgings, and it’s vital for a Salon/Orphanage, both of which are pretty great in their own right. (At least, I know for certain that the Salon has been helpful to me - and the Orphanage can be used to obtain a particularly powerful Companion for 20 Fate, if you feel so inclined.)

Not gonna shoot down Optimatum’s suggestions, even though I don’t find them quite as agreeable myself. :-)
But it’s worth noting you can get more Connected:Society at the Shuttered Palace if you have ‘A Name Signed with a Flourish 4’. (via: An evening at the Duchess’ salon -> Attend and be Erudite.)

Yeah those options aren’t really worth getting the lodgings just for them. I got them all way back in the day, partially for scraps and partially for completion, and I do rather regret it now. Maybe when SMEN returns I’ll seek after all - it may no longer be cheaper than a divorce, but it’s cheaper than selling property through official channels :)

(The only three-card lodgings I’d get again are the Townhouse and Rooftop Shack. While what I listed are the potential benefits, they’re not really good enough for me to care.)

The Smoky Flophouse is also a pretty good card if you start but don’t finish the Jack case in order to retain access to The next victim. It gives you .5 Criminal favours (50% chance) which are worth somewhere between 2 to 2.2 echoes each depending on how you dispose of them and 10cp of Revolutionaries, which is good for turning in Eyeless Skulls you get from A Shrine of the Deep Blue Heaven rare success and for turning in in bulk in the Flit when you accumulate more than you can use.

The total value of the card is decently high, but you have to meet a decently strict set of assumptions before you can actually take advantage of that value.

To address the original question of the thread again, I don’t think anyone said so but the Mirror-Polished Shoes are one of two Watchful shoes, the other being exclusive to the Advent Calendar. So they’re definitely th best choice long-term.

Fair point, but I’d think wearing them would make me feel like my character was some kind of creeper. I mean … mirrored shoes? Ughhh. It’s like something out of a terrible Anime about high-school or some awful boarding-school prank, just gross.

I get that shoes being Watchful doesn’t make much sense, and that therefor shoes that are Watchful are rare and desirable things. But I just can’t.

So many noes.

I’ve seen the flavour text on the Lenguals gloves… Footwear that is Watchful is entirely possible, but might be more than my sanity can bear.