Benefits and Drawbacks of Selling your Soul

[li]I was approached for the very first time by a Devil making me &quotA Serious Offer&quot.
[li]I eventually wish to live in the Brass Embassy, so I don’t want to blow any chances and reset the Connected counter. What are the Benefits and Drawbacks of selling him my soul? And, if i sell it, can I ever get it back, or at least replace it?

Note that all I’m saying is non-FATE

1. One benefit is getting that oh so sinful 5-card Sanctum at the Brass Embassy at lower notability and price. As for drawbacks, I think the only concerns of note is that there are some locked opportunities in the University if you have no soull.
  2. Yes, I think a opportunity card called &quotOne’s public&quot has a very low chance of giving your soul back.

Well… I have not even unlocked the University yet, so I’m good there.

…and I failed the luck check in the Oppertunity card, so I sold my soul for quite a bit of brass…

Anything that I should worry about? Bad oppertunities that I should be wary of? I have the Shuttered Palace and Forgotten Quarter unlocked so far. Working on grinding for Wolfstack Docks (got all the Surface Currency that I need from posing as a statue).
edited by th8827 on 11/4/2015

There’s no major negative consequences for losing your soul. It does add a card to your deck, but it shows up somewhat rarely and doesn’t negatively affect you (especially since it’s discardable). It does lock off a few options in the University, as noted above, but in return they open up alternative branches for the soulless.

In that case, I’ll hold onto my Infernal Contract until Christmas.

[quote=Pyrodinium]Note that all I’m saying is non-FATE
2. Yes, I think a opportunity card called &quotOne’s public&quot has a very low chance of giving your soul back.[/quote]
There are lots of other opportunities that get your Soul back as well.
You get your Soul back when you score a 200 on a &quotWhat’s in the bundle?&quot luck challenge. As long as the storylet you’re using goes up to 200, you have a chance to get your soul.
Lots of storylets, from &quotHoist the black flag&quot on the Underzee to this year’s &quotSomething on the doorstep?&quot on the &quotVisitor’s at Hallowmas&quot card, to every &quotA Surprise Package&quot go up to 200 or greater.
It will require a little patience and a lot of luck, but you will eventually get your soul back without Fate.

You could also go with what your character may wish to do.

Being soulless adds an option on the opportunity card A Gift from the Capering Relicker, which provides 300 souls and 20 infernal contracts. If you happen to be the spirifer type (via the ‘Soul Trade’ Fate-locked story), then this becomes even more profitable.

[spoiler]I happened to gain a contract of my own by failing a Luck check with the Quiet Deviless. (&quotA matter of luck. How could you fail?&quot, indeed…)
Although I’ve had opportunities to seek it out, I’m not too bothered by it so I’m waiting for the bundle of oddities.
If you are worried about missing out on anything, I’d suggest doing all of the guest lecturer stuff at the University first (when you have Featured In The Tales Of The University at exactly 5.) That was the only place I felt I was missing out on anything.

Ultimately though, do whatever’s going to be most appropriate for you. Souls can be recovered, though not without spending some amount of effort on your part.[/spoiler]
edited by Kittenpox on 11/4/2015

Wait a second… you’re &quotgrinding&quot your way to the Docks, and have all the surface currency you need? Does this mean you’ve been opening new areas of London by paying for the option in your Lodgings? This is a really bad idea, because those areas will open for free once your stats are high enough to actually do something in them. You’re wasting your effort, else. Save that Currency for later (you’ll need it), and work on getting your Dangerous up instead! (In fact, the Docks will open when you’ve made a certain level of Making Your Name in the Hills; for the Flit, you do have to go through your quarters, because the &quotMaking Your Name&quot story isn’t available yet for Shadowy).

– Mal

To be fair, Making Your Name opening up new areas is new-ish content.

Also, if anyone happens to sell their soul via &quotwhat profit?&quot I would like a screenshot please! It’s a bit hard for me to repeatably do this just to see more content.
edited by Cecil on 11/4/2015

One question I have is whether there is a cheaper way into Mahogany Hall. Not that I am likely to be headed that way anytime soon, but it pays to plan ahead.

– Mal

Another small thing that you get locked out is…
you can’t invite devils as visitors for your marriage if you have no soul, just throught that this was a pretty nice touch when I was doing it.

If you have your own Infernal Contract you can’t use the Palace option to raise Counting the Days. That is Talk about something else on An unusual competition which can take you from 10 to 12.

By the way if you do choose to use Fate to get it back you get Known for Metaphysical Caprice. Apparently this means that if you lose your soul again it gets more expensive to get it back. Getting it back in a bundle doesn’t have this drawback.
edited by reveurciel on 11/4/2015

Side question, while we’re on the subject: if I lose my soul, and then by some twist of fate get it back without trying to… is there a way to lose it again and get another Very own Infernal Contract?

Asking, uh, for a friend.

You can definitely sell your soul again after getting it back, but the Intimate Devils won’t pursue you a second time. There’s a Fate-locked Opportunity around Hallowmas, a recurring door-to-door salesman through the Soul Trade, and a free opportunity around Christmas.

The Hallowmas option is the one you want, so make hay while the The Sun doesn’t shine. 'Tis the season.

The Hallowmas &quotAttend a Lecture on Spiritual Hygiene&quot option requires you to have watchful 200 though. To be honest I can’t remember exactly what you get for attending the lecture … can someone PM me please.

I have received a PM - thanks
edited by reveurciel on 11/5/2015

[quote=lady ciel ]The Hallowmas &quotAttend a Lecture on Spiritual Hygiene&quot option requires you to have watchful 200 though. To be honest I can’t remember exactly what you get for attending the lecture … can someone PM me please.

I have received a PM - thanks
edited by reveurciel on 11/5/2015[/quote]

Would be nice if someone could pm me with the results as well, thanks in advance :).

You’ve got your PM.

Oh? I completed the Soul Trade storyline but I think I never encountered him. Or maybe my memory’s getting rusty. You don’t mean the one at Ladybones, do you?

(Note that I completed Soul Trade AFTER acquiring my own Contract.)
edited by Kolanowski on 11/5/2015