April Exceptional Story: The Seven-Day Reign

Already on it, was just wondering if anyone had similar issues :)

I enjoyed the story. Well, I havenā€™t managed to pull the final card yet, but Iā€™m hoping that my daughter wonā€™t be massively offended that I chose to intervene when an unpleasant man wanted to eat her.

Yes, the story was pretty predictable, but still fun, and it was nice to see the game mechanics in good use.

The bug about saving text to my journal was annoying, but the fix to the really annoying ā€˜if the title starts with a quote then youā€™ll have to type it out yourselfā€™ thing was welcome.

Iā€™m really into journaling ^_^ For me thereā€™s no point in doing a story unless I can journal my choices. Can someone be a dear and let me know when the journal bugs are fixed?

btw, really looking forward to this one, I love mystery rites and political corruption.
edited by Anne Auclair on 3/31/2016

I found a typo. Near the beginning of the story is the option &quotAsk your fellow Stags about the Ragged King&quot. The description for that option contains the text &quot but this why is this business the first youā€™ve heard of him?&quot. I assume the first &quotthis&quot is a typo.

Found another one, I think. In the option &quotA Matter for the Sovereign: preparations for the Feast of Folly&quot, I believe the Placid Patriarch is misspelled as the Placed Patriarch. I might be missing a pun or something, but I donā€™t really think so.
edited by Cyrusdexter on 3/31/2016

I just finished the story and also found it strange that allowing my Aunt, in this case, to get revenge increased Heartless. Subtle feels far more appropriate from the text - I hung out in the background interfering with the chase and allowed her the revenge she was clearly capable of, rather than stealing her kill as it could be seen.

[quote=RandomWalker]
The bug about saving text to my journal was annoying, but the fix to the really annoying ā€˜if the title starts with a quote then youā€™ll have to type it out yourselfā€™ thing was welcome.[/quote]
Wait, that was fixed? I had one case where the title was automatically entered despite including a quotation mark, but at least one other title starting with a quote didnā€™t work.
edited by Optimatum on 3/31/2016

I feel ridiculous mentioning this, but the misspelling of ā€œdaisā€ ā€“ the story notes that the Sovereign is sitting on a ā€œdiasā€ ā€“ leapt out at me for some reason.

Iā€™m most of the way through the story. Fabulous! Not a lore-fest by any means, but some genuine thrills and chills attended the climax.

And I see I was an idiot! I forgot to echo a key bit of text to my Journal, I was so excited!

If any of you succeeded in killing the Patriarch before he did away with your companion, could you please text me with a link to your Journal echo? I only glanced at the text when I did that storylet, I was so excited! Thanks in advance.

wowā€¦itā€™s been hard for me to figure out what to say because i honestly donā€™t know how I feel about the story. On the one hand it was well done, well written, fun to play, etc. Everyone who worked on it did a fine job and thereā€™s very little fault I can find with anything.

But from an RPing standpointā€¦that really really sucked. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever loved an exceptional story so much going in and hated it so much by the end. Even the ending of the Last Dog Society didnā€™t make my character as miserable as this ending did.

You see, he was a Young Stag and loved it. The Neath has pretty much wrung all the joy out of his life but one of the few things that still made him happy was goofing around with his friends playing idiotic pranks and just having a good time. And the whole &quotOnce a Stag, always a Stag&quot saying made him happy because everyone heā€™s ever cared about in the Neath has used, betrayed or abandoned himā€¦so knowing there was a place he would always belong was a comfort to him. True, that Patriarch guy seemed to be up to no good, but my character was certain he could stop whatever nefarious deed he had planned and then everyone could go back to throwing custard and running around without pants and dangling Chuffy upside down over balconies and important stuff like that.

[spoiler]Now his beloved club has been revealed to be rotten to the core and apparently churns out vile horrible people by the score. True, his immediate circle of friends doesnā€™t seem that bad yet, but if the sheer amount of monsters present at that feast was any indication, theyā€™ll certainly end up that way.

So now he has to quit the club because how can he ever have any fun with those horrible people ever again? Which means heā€™s lost one of the few places he felt he belongedā€¦as well as his precious Clarence.

Heā€™s also got some nice mental trauma from the Patriarchā€™s horrible fateā€¦this spot was the only place I had a beef with the actual writing, because my character would never stand idly by and let a man, even a bad one, be carried screaming off to be butchered. Never in a million years. He would have at least TRIED to save him. So I felt like the writing forced me to act out of character at the end, but that was the only spot. And he did manage to save his horrid little protege. Who promptly returned the favor byā€¦abandoning him.

You guys are merciless :P I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever RPed a character who has been so utterly destroyed by a game the way Fallen London has destroyed this poor fellow. Usually, when bad things happen to my character in a game, I at least get a sense of having accomplished some good, or gotten some sort of satisfaction out of my sacrifice. Not here. This is justā€¦unrelenting horror and misery. [/spoiler]

I know it sounds like Iā€™m being critical, but Iā€™m actually not. Like I said, the writing is top-notch and I have nothing but respect and appreciation for the game and the people behind it butā€¦wow. When I started playing this game last summer I had no idea my character would be taken down so viciously and completely by this world. While Iā€™m disappointedā€¦Iā€™m also deeply impressed. The writers definitely have my (admittedly somewhat grudging) respect :P

I think the time may have come to check this character into the Royal Beth permanently and then either start over with an amoral character or try my luck with another game.
edited by Kukapetal on 4/1/2016
edited by Kukapetal on 4/1/2016[li]

Um. Are we supposed to draw the final card with the urchins knocking more then once? Iā€™ve drawn it 5 times and counting, and nothings changed.

Iā€™ve found a bug, perhaps only for mobile Android users. Attempting to record a journal entry when approaching the Sovereign results in an unfortunate crash.

What a shame, I was also unable to record the entry when the toast the Sovereign.

[quote=Kukapetal]wowā€¦itā€™s been hard for me to figure out what to say because i honestly donā€™t know how I feel about the story. On the one hand it was well done, well written, fun to play, etc. Everyone who worked on it did a fine job and thereā€™s very little fault I can find with anything.

But from an RPing standpointā€¦that really really sucked. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever loved an exceptional story so much going in and hated it so much by the end. Even the ending of the Last Dog Society didnā€™t make my character as miserable as this ending did.

You see, he was a Young Stag and loved it. The Neath has pretty much wrung all the joy out of his life but one of the few things that still made him happy was goofing around with his friends playing idiotic pranks and just having a good time. And the whole &quotOnce a Stag, always a Stag&quot saying made him happy because everyone heā€™s ever cared about in the Neath has used, betrayed or abandoned himā€¦so knowing there was a place he would always belong was a comfort to him. True, that Patriarch guy seemed to be up to no good, but my character was certain he could stop whatever nefarious deed he had planned and then everyone could go back to throwing custard and running around without pants and dangling Chuffy upside down over balconies and important stuff like that.

[spoiler]Now his beloved club has been revealed to be rotten to the core and apparently churns out vile horrible people by the score. True, his immediate circle of friends doesnā€™t seem that bad yet, but if the sheer amount of monsters present at that feast was any indication, theyā€™ll certainly end up that way.

So now he has to quit the club because how can he ever have any fun with those horrible people ever again? Which means heā€™s lost one of the few places he felt he belongedā€¦as well as his precious Clarence.

Heā€™s also got some nice mental trauma from the Patriarchā€™s horrible fateā€¦this spot was the only place I had a beef with the actual writing, because my character would never stand idly by and let a man, even a bad one, be carried screaming off to be butchered. Never in a million years. He would have at least TRIED to save him. So I felt like the writing forced me to act out of character at the end, but that was the only spot. And he did manage to save his horrid little protege. Who promptly returned the favor byā€¦abandoning him.

You guys are merciless :P I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever RPed a character who has been so utterly destroyed by a game the way Fallen London has destroyed this poor fellow. Usually, when bad things happen to my character in a game, I at least get a sense of having accomplished some good, or gotten some sort of satisfaction out of my sacrifice. Not here. This is justā€¦unrelenting horror and misery. [/spoiler]

I know it sounds like Iā€™m being critical, but Iā€™m actually not. Like I said, the writing is top-notch and I have nothing but respect and appreciation for the game and the people behind it butā€¦wow. When I started I had no idea my character would be taken down so viciously and completely by this world. While Iā€™m disappointedā€¦Iā€™m also deeply impressed. The writers definitely have my (admittedly somewhat grudging) respect :P

I think the time may have come to check this character into the Royal Beth permanently and then either start over with an amoral character or try my luck with another game.
edited by Kukapetal on 4/1/2016[/quote]

Steal Clarence when you leave. Thatā€™s my suggestion. Always, Iā€™m sorry that youā€™ve had such a hard time in the game. Part of the reason I had a strong reaction was because they threatened one of the people who have always loved them.

Two bugs, both in the browser version: 1) in the final chase, nothing can be saved to the journal; 2) I ran out of time in the chase, but could still choose challenges to reduce Distance Remaining until the Escape! option appeared.

Ouch, Kukapetal. That sucks, Iā€™m sorry.

My version didnā€™t include anyone getting dragged off to be eaten in front of me, so if you like, you can pretend that you were in that version of the story, and will be reforming the Young Stags from within?

Ouch, Kukapetal. That sucks, Iā€™m sorry.

My version didnā€™t include anyone getting dragged off to be eaten in front of me, so if you like, you can pretend that you were in that version of the story, and will be reforming the Young Stags from within?

Reforming is also good. Honestly, that jester in the middle was a cause of a lot of the trouble.

Howā€™s the journaling?

Update: Still bugged.
edited by Anne Auclair on 4/1/2016

[quote=an_ocelot]
Ouch, Kukapetal. That sucks, Iā€™m sorry.[/quote]

Well, he didnā€™t get dragged off right in front of me, my protege just put the crown on his head and we left him there and listened to his screams as we were leaving. I just canā€™t picture my character doing something like that, even if the jerk deserved it. What kind of ending did you get?

Anyway, pretty sure the Young Stags are irredeemable. My character washed his hands of them. Then he canceled his exceptional friend status, gave away his remaining fate to friends and checked himself into the nuthouse. Now he spends his days watching it rain coffee cups. May he finally find peace in insanityā€¦

[quote=Kukapetal][quote=an_ocelot]
Ouch, Kukapetal. That sucks, Iā€™m sorry.[/quote]

Well, he didnā€™t get dragged off right in front of me, my protege just put the crown on his head and we left him there and listened to his screams as we were leaving. I just canā€™t picture my character doing something like that, even if the jerk deserved it. What kind of ending did you get?

Anyway, pretty sure the Young Stags are irredeemable. My character washed his hands of them. Then he canceled his exceptional friend status, gave away his remaining fate to friends and checked himself into the nuthouse. Now he spends his days watching it rain coffee cups. May he finally find peace in insanityā€¦
edited by Kukapetal on 4/1/2016[/quote]
I hope he gets better ^^
edited by Anne Auclair on 4/1/2016

He will not. He is finished because I am finished. Iā€™ve finally accepted that this gameā€™s just not for me. Best of luck to the rest of you.