April Exceptional Story: The Seven-Day Reign

I picked my Aunt over my daughter, because my Aunt would be crueler to them. Her reign reminded me why I didn’t join the Stags-all of London would’ve been in flames by know. And their port isn’t as good.

and then I got the feast.

edited by Shadowcthuhlu on 3/31/2016

Here to report an odd bug, which is making this month’s story a bit less enjoyable for me.

I’m not done with the story yet, but even though I chose my daughter as the lottery winnner it seems that my protégé is the one showing up in all the journal entries I’ve made. This is a slightly annoying to say the least, as I’ve been tailoring the titles of all the entries to fit my character’s interactions with his daughter.
I really hope this can be fixed, as I’d hate to cut the entries from this otherwise brilliant story from my journal.

EDIT: As an extra note, it seems that the very earliest entries are working fine, but that it then switches to the protégé later on. And for the record this has only happened in the journal. The story itself has had no signs of this bug.
edited by Munk on 3/31/2016

Okay, so question:

[spoiler]I picked all shall be well and escaped the feast. Alas, a certain Patriarch decided to cheat. I have two options: Ambush the Patriarch and Bide your time. Bide your time, when all shall be well, reads like &quotYou recognise that gleam in your Daugher’s eye. Let’s see how this turns out.&quot

Notably, I want to know one thing: if possible I want to see my Daughter stab this fool up for putting her though this. But I fear all shall not be well and she wil be harmed. If that is the case I would rather do the deed myself. So… which is it? [/spoiler]
edited by Kylestien on 3/31/2016

Kylestein,

All shall be well.

I am sad that servers keep flaring and dying when I try to echo the last few bits.

I’ve finished everything but the story-ending card. Edit: now got the card.

I liked the mechanism of the last part; that worked well emotionally. Getting to pick who you were involved with was good on those grounds too. The rest is spoilers.

[spoiler]I was kind of detached from the start because I’ve always thought the Stags were jerks, and while it was nice to have that confirmed and elaborated on, I admit, when the Feast arrived, all I could think was &quotcannibalism again?&quot Your tolerance of that (and of super-entitled dudes) will of course vary.

Also, as a small note, I was sad that my daughter was mad at me for hanging back and letting her stab the Patriarch, and more importantly that the game agreed by bumping Heartless; I viewed it as trusting her to take care of herself and being her backup, which I thought was an interpretation the option supported. (Edit: having gotten the ending card, I guess she’s not permanently mad, but I still don’t like that it’s labelled Heartless. A small thing, I realize.) [/spoiler]

Also, I’ve collected the start links to all my EF story echoes, along with some other reference links, in a Google Doc; the link is in my signature.
edited by an_ocelot on 3/31/2016

An Ocelot: Thank you. Also I did that too and got the card

She seemed angry at me after doing it in the option like what happened to you, but the ending card shows she got over it. I think we made the right choice.

[/i]

It is the all-shall-be-well counterpart to selling her out for benefits in the risky version. You don’t get to bide your time in the Risky one - you get to foil the ambush as a betrayal instead. I suspect the game thinks you are heartless because, well, your friend is bleeding like a pig in the knees and you are in a far better position to do something about their tormentor.

I guess cannibalism isn’t so surprising with Kingeater’s Castle and &quotKings&quot involved, but… eh. I share your sentiment.

[quote=Kylestien]An Ocelot: Thank you. Also I did that too and got the card

She seemed angry at me after doing it in the option like what happened to you, but the ending card shows she got over it. I think we made the right choice.

[/i]I ambushed him personally myself. I wanted to teach a lesson to the rest of the stags. My aunt may someday leave. I will not.
edited by Kylestien on 3/31/2016[/quote]
edited by Shadowcthuhlu on 3/31/2016

Haven’t played this yet but I literally JUST gave up membership with the Young Stags.

So, I haven’t started this story yet, and when a similar question appeared during Flint I chose &quotAll shall be well&quot (I’m very much averse to irreversible losses). However, do I understand from the comments here that there is some path to…

…get rid of my aunt (in any shape, way, or form)?

The aunt storyline is the one I despise the most out of everything in Fallen London.

A long time ago I’ve spent Fate to progress it for the sole reason that I hoped there’s a chance her card will stop appearing. I was very disappointed to find otherwise. Also, I had no idea at the time there were multiple paths to choose for the conclusion of that story (since it’s all card based, I had no idea that other cards might appear if I discard the ones I got). Therefore I got the useless ending to that useless storyline.

So: Can anyone please confirm if indeed it’s possible to get rid of the aunt via this Exceptional story? Please don’t spare the details if some are necessary to follow through to that conclusion (reply via PM to avoid explicit spoilers in the forum).

I haven’t paid for the aunt or daughter fate locked content. Should I buy those? Or is this story still fully enjoyable without them? I’m sure it’s still fun, but I’d hate to miss out on a nice bit of story, or have a lesser experience overall.

My interpretation is the current king doesn’t want to get eaten, so came up with this idea that there would be a sovereign just long enough to &quotcount&quot and then they’d get eaten in his place. The rule is &quotevery seven years we must sacrifice our sovereign&quot, not &quota person gets eaten after being sovereign for seven years.&quot

Harlocke, I went with the daughter; there was maybe one storylet that was specific to her, and a few things were tailored to her personality, plus of course the tension of a pre-existing relationship, but it did not seem like it would be substantially different.
edited by an_ocelot on 3/31/2016

Anybody who has read The Golden Bough or The White Goddess would instantly be suspicious of the &quotking for a week&quot motif, surely?

I’ve yet to see a “Hey, you’re King! Congratulations!” story that didn’t have the predictable outcome. It’s a staple throughout human mythology, much more broadly spread than mere “Western Culture” as well, it’s a global meme.

Three things:

A) You are a few years too late from THE method to get rid of your aunt - hand her over to Mr Sacks (retired).
B) Chances are, if you haven’t paid Fate for it, another Aunt will resurface.
C) If you have paid Fate for it, they probably will get rid of your Aunt permanently. On the flip side, you can always change your Aunt’s profession, and she gives you an advantage at Carnelian Coast
D) Save your anger for the Struggling Artist, who actually deserves it

Three things:

A) You are a few years too late from THE method to get rid of your aunt - hand her over to Mr Sacks (retired).
C) If you have paid Fate for it, they probably will get rid of your Aunt permanently. On the flip side, you can always change your Aunt’s profession, and she gives you an advantage at Carnelian Coast
D) Save your anger for the Struggling Artist, who actually deserves it[/quote]

These are four things, not three :-)

C) How does one change the aunt’s profession? I don’t recall such an option on the card (but I certainly could have missed it).
D) Strangely, the Artist never bothered me that much. He’s annoying, but the kind of annoying I apparently can just ignore.

Thanks!

[quote=dov]C) How does one change the aunt’s profession? I don’t recall such an option on the card (but I certainly could have missed it).[/quote]It’s in your Lodgings, under Write a Letter.

So I’ve got a bit of a problem. I finished up investigations, was told to finish business in London before going to the Actaeon, and when I went to the Forgotten Quarter to draw cards… I was flung into an inescapable autofire storylet for the feast. Aka it seems I’ve both missed whatever options there were at the Actaeon and been unexpectedly trapped into the story’s finale before I could finish up business in London as advised.

Three things:

D) Save your anger for the Struggling Artist, who actually deserves it[/quote]

These are four things, not three :-)

C) How does one change the aunt’s profession? I don’t recall such an option on the card (but I certainly could have missed it).
D) Strangely, the Artist never bothered me that much. He’s annoying, but the kind of annoying I apparently can just ignore.

Thanks![/quote]
There’s an option under writing letters in your lodgings to change her profession, alongside the options for things like changing the owner of the Whisper-Locked Puzzlebox. From the sounds of things you’d of course want the Masters profession option since it gives action refreshes at times and the card is rarer.

Thanks a lot, Ocelot and Optimatum!

[quote=Optimatum]So I’ve got a bit of a problem. I finished up investigations, was told to finish business in London before going to the Actaeon, and when I went to the Forgotten Quarter to draw cards… I was flung into an inescapable autofire storylet for the feast. Aka it seems I’ve both missed whatever options there were at the Actaeon and been unexpectedly trapped into the story’s finale before I could finish up business in London as advised. [/quote]Sounds like a case for support@failbettergames.com !