Announcing Firmament

Really? Good for her.

She also appears in a hidden ending for Sunless Sea.

4 Likes

Does it really count as hidden? It’s not particularly well-hidden, at any rate. All you really need to do is explore some, then follow the signposts on a bit of a scavenger hunt. Well, that and have the DLC.

New Outfit slots, hm?

Does that mean more Cats to purrchase from Mr. Chimes Lost and Found?
If not, I will be personally mewling at my screen during tea time.

10 Likes

I long think that, besides the new gear and additions we got, 1 or 2 more Fate-free outfit slots are a must because we got multiple actions with double skill check and many menace reduction items. Maybe just increase the default; the menace items are great for newcommers.
With too few outfits, many items are not used or we end up with click galore.

Now we will get more items slots which means that the possibilities expand and the requires too.

6 Likes

I’m glad for some new item slots - I’m in the middle of trying to raise my notability enough to reset my POSI specialization, and every bit of BDR helps.

1 Like

so, huh…could anybody give me a summery of what happned during the last estival? who are the starved man, why did they attack, how did “hmmmmm plants” turn into “EPIC SKY-SHIP BATTLE TO SAVE LONDON!”, and general important stuff that happned? for people like me who missed out on it.

…well, in my case i had nothing limting me from participaiting, i just saw the plant growing and decided to ignore the whole thing :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This Wiki page is a pretty good summary: The London Horticultural Show (historical) - Fallen London Wiki

As for how “hmm plans” turned into something else, it’s because a Starved Stalactite dropped from the ceiling into the greenhouse during the opening ceremony. The sky-ships came perhaps a week later.

The most important thing lore-wise that wasn’t already established but in retrospect might have been guessed at, is that there are different groups of Starved Men who often disagree with each other. Dropping the Spire was, it turns out, the nice guys who were just trying to help. Totally different than pew pew pew sun roof lasers guys.

7 Likes

Well, okay! Didn’t know the wiki did story summaries, thought it was just a mechanics wiki and the other one dealt with lore & story, but that’s admittedly a rather stupid guess. Thank you, psgarak!

If you want details, you can see my screenshot archive of the event. Although, I did not collected all and every clue…

3 Likes

Ah. Lovely.

I want to build a base camp at the Roof. I wonder if there’d be any fortification or expansion of the bone excavation site. I wish to have tea with Dr Vaughan, or visit my star child. An interesting new frontier.

7 Likes

As for the luggage, well, I think a Starved luggage would be nice.

2 Likes

They are adding new skills and item slots to make money. They are also making money from selling outfit slots. I think they would continue business as usual: hand out some items as rewards for playing and sell everything else.

2 Likes

I don’t know that this is a fair take. I’m sure it contributes, at least a bit, sure. But to say that’s the reason they’re doing these things is… reductive at best?

Like yes, they’re running an indie game studio. They need revenue, and to that extent having more players stick around longer will always lead to that revenue. But they’ve like. Made it CLEAR that they get most of their revenue in FL from EF’s, and those… are not generally where FATE-locked items come from. So to say that they’re introducing new skills and item slots for finance is a bit of a stretch.

They’re introducing them because the bulk of the player base already has all their skills maxed out, and the BiS gear (either period or, if they’re fate free players, the best available without spending fate) and so of course they’re going to, in an expansion, add new things for players to do that will give them activities outside of the immediate new stories to work towards.

I do agree that we won’t be likely to get new outfit slots for free though. We already don’t have enough for the 4 core slots and the 7 MAGCATS skills.

9 Likes

Mostly, they’re adding a bunch of stories to the Fallen London universe, which is already huge and accessible for free for the most part.

They’re a game studio and need revenues as HexBeloved said, so it’s normal they develop the game both in terms of story and mechanics, but even then I don’t feel they’re pushing the sellable stuff very hard. If you want to ignore it, you can.

On top of that, some / many of best in slots items either are or end up being available for free (for eg the +2 MA and AotRS were both made available for free during festivals after being Mr Chimes’ exclusives).

Ultimately, the greatest thing Fallen London has to offer is the universe they created, and as I said, you can play it for free.

I don’t mean to come out strong (sorry if I do), it’s just that I find that with each release, they give out a lot of content for free with some little optional stuff you can buy on the side If you want to support them.

8 Likes

I’m honestly inclined to believe that adding more item slots helps free players more than anything else - more slots means more ways to boost your stats without shelling out for Fate-locked BiS items.

Of course, that might just mean newer content requires higher checks, but a) I’m inclined to believe that some chunk of Firmament won’t, considering the unlock point is Ealing, and b) this still makes checks in the majority of the game easier to pass, assuming they don’t double back and retune them. (I’m inclined to believe they won’t, for no other reason than that being a fuckton of work.)

10 Likes

Apropos of nothing, a prediction: A family reunion for Hillchanger Tower. Even further: This is why the first steps require progress to Ealing.

5 Likes

Oh you’re ABSOLUTELY correct, I can’t believe I didn’t think of that myself!!

Another prediction: Station VIII is going to receive new upgrades that allow you to dock and set off from there as a “port”.

4 Likes

Reminder to everyone that there’s scheduled maintenance tomorrow.

Which may or may not coincide with Adornments getting re-assigned.

6 Likes

I wonder if anything magical is going to happen today! :heartfl:

3 Likes