Ambitions and Endings

For those of you not following the increasingly massive &quotSeeking Mr. Eaten’s Name&quot thread, Alexis recently posted this interesting article about the challenge of endings in a game like Fallen London. The relevant information if you don’t have time to read that is that FL has two approaches to endings. The first is the destinies, which hint at endings in the far flung future. The second is Seeking Mr. Eaten’s Name, which the article seems to indicate brings your story to a rather definitive conclusion.

This has gotten me thinking about the ambitions. These are long running story lines that you start in your early days in London and stretch out until now (as none of them have actually ended yet). At least two of them (Nemesis, Light Fingers) explicitly state that they are your reason for coming to The Neath in the first place. While a variety of other story lines begin and end, your ambition is something of a driving force, pulling you through the various parts of London on your mad quest for revenge/wealth/whatever. If Fallen London can be said to have a single, core story line your ambition is it. And in that context, what does it mean when that story ends?

At this point, I know the notes at the end of the last Nemesis and Bag a Legend updates indicated that the next update would conclude the stories. Light Fingers and Heart’s Desire are, presumably, either at similar points or 1 update away. So one way or another an ending is nigh. In his article, Alexis talks about endings becoming middles for other endings or everything that comes after turning into an extended epilogue. So what happens when people start completing their ambitions? I’ll admit, the one thing that’s likely to make me pause Seeking before I hit Winking Isle is wanting to complete my ambition.

I do feel like I ran into a bit of this before when I first hit the content boundary for my ambition. After I…

…murdered Scathewick…

…I had a sense of closure to that particular story and spent some time a bit adrift. Fallen London really did become a sort of epilogue to those events. It’s the point where my character settled down and got married. I began poking around some of the other story lines that I’d avoided. Without a clear goal, the thirst for knowledge became the driving force of my actions. There was this weird transitional period where Fallen London had gone from being about something specific, to being a broader, less directed experience. Then an ambition update came and I realized there was yet more work to be done.

I don’t think ambition conclusions are going to result in a mass exodus from the game. But in the context of this article about the challenge of ending a story when you can’t really end the story it will be interesting to see what happens when the major, core FL stories start to conclude.

EDIT: Probably worth noting, in case someone from Failbetter is reading this and thinking &quotoh god, we can never conclude the ambitions,&quot that the point of closure and adriftness is also the point where I started exploring the fate locked content. Until that point I’d been more focused on pursuing this core narrative and wasn’t as interested in the other branching paths.
edited by An Individual on 6/18/2016

Maybe once the ambitions conclude, they could write some new ambitions that are only accessible to people who have completed their original.[li]
edited by Kukapetal on 6/18/2016

Ambitions don’t have to be FL conclusion. Even if they state that was the reason you came to the neath. You did other stuff, you grew, explored… you discovered the secret Nadir, learned the language of the sun (SotC 21?), Massively played at Hallomas (refering to NiteBrite post at a similar topic), governed at the south continent, POSIed yourself to 200 stats. All not related to ambitions. You lived, got married, died, played chess and lived again. Why would Ambition be your story? Perhaps your beggining, but not THE story. Thus, not THE end.

Absolutely. And at this point they wouldn’t be for me. But there was a time where it was and I doubt I’m alone there.

I’m more curious how FL can continue after the ambitions not because they’re an end, but they dramatically affect the world. Who knows how Heart’s Desire will end but considering the players it will be big, before even factoring in the Mr Eaten/Go North option in it and how it might interact with the ambition. Bag a Legend’s explicit end goal has huge effects on how the Masters and thr Bazaar might behave afterwards, and consider how any faction would react to that death. Idk about the other two but I’ve heard they involve the Masters and Hell in some huge fashion.

So many factors for interacting with the world afterwards and I’m curious how it’ll all be managed. If it’ll all be managed, even.

I find it interesting that Alexis didn’t even mention the Ambitions in the article.

Easy: the SMEN-related option has no effect on the ambition. From a story point of view, it was a ploy to draw Mr. Pages’ attention just like the other options. From a gameplay point of view the quality changes are identical to the other options. Actually going NORTH would require giving up hope of playing the Marvellous.[li]

I’m really looking forward to the conclusion of the Ambitions, because I assume at that point I’ll finally be able to pay Fate to play the other three Ambitions with my main character. I take for granted that the ending won’t be the absolute end for your character, for the simple reason that exceptional friendship exists, and they’d never terminate an account that has a paid subscription unless it was super clearly signposted (Eaten content, basically.)

I would strongly suspect that all the Ambitions are converging on one set of mechanics and story. A confrontation with a Master. After dealing with that in whatever way you do, there are plenty of ways for the world to remain very much as it was.

They could be replaced by;

• The Thief of Faces
  • Mr Chimes
  • The Player
  • A Noman

Or the content relating to that Master could be edited with a quality check, the ‘enemy’ masters (probably Veils, Mirrors, Fires, and Pages) all only have a few pieces of content featuring them, and most of those are in the Ambition.

I think missing Masters could simply be impersonated by other Masters.

[quote=Ian Hart]I’m really looking forward to the conclusion of the Ambitions, because I assume at that point I’ll finally be able to pay Fate to play the other three Ambitions with my main character. I take for granted that the ending won’t be the absolute end for your character, for the simple reason that exceptional friendship exists, and they’d never terminate an account that has a paid subscription unless it was super clearly signposted (Eaten content, basically.)

I would strongly suspect that all the Ambitions are converging on one set of mechanics and story. A confrontation with a Master. After dealing with that in whatever way you do, there are plenty of ways for the world to remain very much as it was.

[spoiler]
They could be replaced by;

• The Thief of Faces
  • Mr Chimes
  • The Player
  • A Noman

Or the content relating to that Master could be edited with a quality check, the ‘enemy’ masters (probably Veils, Mirrors, Fires, and Pages) all only have a few pieces of content featuring them, and most of those are in the Ambition.
[/spoiler][/quote]
Agreed- I mean, It’d be nice if they were generous and you could move on at no cost to the next ambition, or no cost but the final payout- but even if they don’t, moving onto the next ambition would be neat.

Though The ToF, would make a terrible replacement- he hates everything- and M C is [real but not individual], while T P would quite change the game.
edited by Grenem on 6/20/2016

At Mr. Veils replacement via impersonation tryouts:

Mr. Pages: &quotGreetifications, citigentry! It is us, Mr. Veils! We loathate everyone! But at least we have the courtisency of replanswering your verbifications, unlike that uncouthsome Mr. Iron. Such a cretinbecile, that one!&quot

Mr. Wines: &quotOh…greetings. Unfortunately, we cannot speak to you at the moment. We, Mr. Veils, are very, very busy and have no time to spare mingling with the citizen- Is that a bottle of Charmont Blanc 1756? Hmm… No, we must… Very well, we may partake in some of it, but for no more than half an hour, alright?&quot

Mr. Irons: Attempts to ignore and, when that fails, draws a very vivid sketch of you being devoured by the Vake.

Mr. Stones: &quotDiamonds!&quot

My character’s ambition is a means rather than an end.

I remember about six months to a year into playing Fallen London, I went to share it with a friend who I thought might have been interested in the game. As it turns out, they’d played the game previously and hit all the content barriers for the unfinished stories. Then, having nothing else to do, they quit playing.

I’m also at the point where I reached Light Fingers 55 ages ago, and the content barrier for Playing with Broken Toys, and the Dilmun Club, and there are stories I can barely remember (one including something about a blind pianist, or a pianist and a blind other character?) that I don’t know if ever had a solid conclusion.

So I’d prefer that stories - including the Ambitions - were finished, rather than being left to rot indefinitely.

[quote=Grenem][quote=Ian Hart]I’m really looking forward to the conclusion of the Ambitions, because I assume at that point I’ll finally be able to pay Fate to play the other three Ambitions with my main character. I take for granted that the ending won’t be the absolute end for your character, for the simple reason that exceptional friendship exists, and they’d never terminate an account that has a paid subscription unless it was super clearly signposted (Eaten content, basically.)

[/quote]
Agreed- I mean, It’d be nice if they were generous and you could move on at no cost to the next ambition, or no cost but the final payout- but even if they don’t, moving onto the next ambition would be neat.

Though The ToF, would make a terrible replacement- he hates everything- and M C is [real but not individual], while T P would quite change the game.
edited by Grenem on 6/20/2016[/quote]
I suspect that M C would actually be the perfect replacement.

People assume he is all the masters taking turns, because he uses all of their mannerisms, and none of his own. My theory is that he is his own unique master, and his mannerism is copying the mannerisms of others. It would allow him to slip into the role of another quite easily if they were eliminated.
I’ve even considered that he might be setting up the events of the Ambitions intentionally, so that he could replace another master and take on their portfolio. That’s totally headcanon though, where the only evidence is that some masters (Mirrors and Veils, in particular) seem to be trying to get the players to kill them. Perhaps that’s actually Chimes (or, I’ll grant, perhaps the Thief of Faces) in disguise.

[quote=Ian Hart][quote=Grenem][quote=Ian Hart]I’m really looking forward to the conclusion of the Ambitions, because I assume at that point I’ll finally be able to pay Fate to play the other three Ambitions with my main character. I take for granted that the ending won’t be the absolute end for your character, for the simple reason that exceptional friendship exists, and they’d never terminate an account that has a paid subscription unless it was super clearly signposted (Eaten content, basically.)

[/quote]

edited by Grenem on 6/20/2016[/quote]
I suspect that M C would actually be the perfect replacement.

People assume he is all the masters taking turns, because he uses all of their mannerisms, and none of his own. My theory is that he is his own unique master, and his mannerism is copying the mannerisms of others. It would allow him to slip into the role of another quite easily if they were eliminated.
I’ve even considered that he might be setting up the events of the Ambitions intentionally, so that he could replace another master and take on their portfolio. That’s totally headcanon though, where the only evidence is that some masters (Mirrors and Veils, in particular) seem to be trying to get the players to kill them. Perhaps that’s actually Chimes (or, I’ll grant, perhaps the Thief of Faces) in disguise.
[/quote]
If you’re right, then yeah, he’d be perfect. I’m not sure you are, though. (plus, there are things that he wouldn’t do, if that was the case. He would have his own interests, which still might lead to OOC behavior.)

[quote=Kittenpox]I remember about six months to a year into playing Fallen London, I went to share it with a friend who I thought might have been interested in the game. As it turns out, they’d played the game previously and hit all the content barriers for the unfinished stories. Then, having nothing else to do, they quit playing.

I’m also at the point where I reached Light Fingers 55 ages ago, and the content barrier for Playing with Broken Toys, and the Dilmun Club, and there are stories I can barely remember (one including something about a blind pianist, or a pianist and a blind other character?) that I don’t know if ever had a solid conclusion.

So I’d prefer that stories - including the Ambitions - were finished, rather than being left to rot indefinitely.[/quote]
A lot of new content has been released so far this year: Seeking and Election 1894. The conversion of connections to renown/favors is gradually moving forward. And Zubmariner is coming out soon. So I’m optimistic we’ll see some progress on the other stories, which like SMEN will probably be quietly updated without much fanfare.

I know i should have replied earlier, and by now it’s nearly a necro- but he’s no longer employed for the company. Edging around mentioning ambitions explicitly- i think some of the details of the discussion of endpoints implies the plan is not just ending your game there [though perhaps making it not have happened yet in-game could be the actual implementation]- merely means that they’re not written up yet, and/or he doesn’t want to spoil his ex-employer’s intentions.

The thing about my ambition is that it never felt like my singular ambition. I played up to the content boundary of Light Fingers, which is a great story and definitely makes sense as an adventure my character is passionate about. However, I’ve played many other stories (particularly exceptional stories) that felt like they would be just as important to my character. My ambition is one goal among many. When Light Fingers is completed and my character finishes it, it won’t feel as though I’ve accomplished everything I want to do in the Neath. Hopefully, we’ll eventually get a chance to play through all the ambitions on a single character, since it doesn’t seem like they’re necessarily mutually exclusive.

One reason to force people to select a single ambition is that it differentiates characters, like POSI specializations do. We aren’t all the same. However, I prefer it when people can differentiate themselves by the choices they make within a story. Not by choosing whether to do the story or not. Two of the best stories in the game, Trade In Souls and The Gift, both feature an important choice that has lasting mechanical and roleplaying consequences. People can differentiate themselves by the choices they make playing those stories, but don’t have to choose whether play Trade In Souls or The Gift (if they’re willing to pay fate for both that is).

And in the long run, I see no reason why there can’t be second round of new ambitions when these are all completed. Perhaps you’ll have to complete all of the first tier of ambitions before you can start on the second tier.
edited by Harlocke on 6/22/2016

Ambitions are never quite intended as a thing that wrap on FL entirely, even back when it was called Echo Bazaar. All it says on the packaging is that &quotThis is a very very long quest that will results in a huge reward&quot, and that two of them explicitly state that they are the reason you came down here for. But they were never mandatory.

On the other hand, Ambitions aren’t the sort of stories that can continue indefinitely, if only because taking an eternity to fail avenging murders or starting a card game sounds absolutely miserable.

Way I see it, Heart’s Desires’ ending sounds possibly open-end depending on what the player wishes for? In any case, didn’t the previous winner choose to stay in the Neath anyway?

Nemesis , Bag A Legend and Light Fingers implied that [color=#000000]we may be fighting against 1 or 2 of the masters.[/color] That could mean a permanent death ending for the player, or maybe getting exiled from London.
edited by rebelanarch-82 on 6/22/2016