Advice for new players

The best way is just to work on getting your stats up and wait on grinding for particular items until you’re at least in your 80s. Given that item rewards are proportional to the storylet’s difficulty level, the rewards you get now aren’t worth much compared to what you’ll get later. I’d just play what you enjoy and focus on getting your stats up, rather than the items.

This is particularly true when you’re at the level that failure doesn’t have any penalty, since your stats increase a lot faster if you’re trying difficult challenges.

That aside, the lowest level repeatable storylet I’m aware of that gives Proscribed Materials is ‘Rescue banned books’ in Veilgarden, which has a requirement of Persuasive 43 to unlock.

The best way is just to work on getting your stats up and wait on grinding for particular items until you’re at least in your 80s. Given that item rewards are proportional to the storylet’s difficulty level, the rewards you get now aren’t worth much compared to what you’ll get later. I’d just play what you enjoy and focus on getting your stats up, rather than the items.

This is particularly true when you’re at the level that failure doesn’t have any penalty, since your stats increase a lot faster if you’re trying difficult challenges.

That aside, the lowest level repeatable storylet I’m aware of that gives Proscribed Materials is ‘Rescue banned books’ in Veilgarden, which has a requirement of Persuasive 43 to unlock.[/quote]

Ah. I drew the Tower of Sparrows card, and I want to move into new Lodgings as soon as possible. :blush: I suppose I should just focus on my Persuasive storylines; fortunately, they tend to be my favorites! :-)

That aside, the lowest level repeatable storylet I’m aware of that gives Proscribed Materials is ‘Rescue banned books’ in Veilgarden, which has a requirement of Persuasive 43 to unlock.[/quote]

You also have conflict cards that award them.

[quote=Aximillio][quote=Urthdigger]
1: Be on the lookout for storylets where the reward gives you the “A Name Built in Blood” quality and tells you to wait. There’s such qualities for all 4 qualities as I believe, although only persuasive and watchful have ways for high level players to get them last I checked. [/quote]

The shadowy one can be gained for High level people from The Alleys of Spite -> Intercept another Courier -> Brush past her in crowd and swap.[/quote]

Where would one find the corresponding actions for Persuasive/Watchful/Dangerous? [stats ~80 if it matters] Thanks :)

[quote=Ewan C.]
Where would one find the corresponding actions for Persuasive/Watchful/Dangerous? [stats ~80 if it matters] Thanks :)[/quote]

Watchful: Watch graffiti in Ladybones Road (Basically one of the only storylets to not require anything)
Persuasive: Rare Success when telling risque jokes, under ‘become known in the Singing Mandrake’
Dangerous: None for high-levels, it seems.

Say, out of curiosity, what low-level Dangerous ways are there to get “a name built in blood”? I’d like to unlock it before I do too much post-Festival grinding.

Also, using the keys to different unlocked Lodgings will move me to those Lodgings WITHOUT using them up, correct?

The keys are not disposables. You can move back and forth between a whole portfolio of properties once you have the keys (using an action each time).

OK, I’m in a connundrum: I’ve come to Trading Secrets for the Clay Coalman, and my character would likely try to pick all of the options except “Donate to the Cause” (he’s generous like that). Which one offers the best rewards mechanically speaking?
edited by Flipz on 3/3/2013

Check out Collecting Clues for the Clay Coalman - Echo Bazaar for the rewards. The wiki(s) will usually give you spoilers to actions, but be careful not to become dependent upon knowing what will happen in the story before you get there. I think it’s sometimes fun not to know.

I have recently come in contact with the Ambitious Barrister. All my stats are at 100 + so I was able to take the mini tour of Fallen London pretty easily, and I had achieved Master thief light fingered and veteran spy, which means I now have access to the Bazaar side streets. However, in a fit of pique, I discarded the card where she encouraged me to buy new clothes (dance master’s dabs, night trimmed frock coat, etc.) Will it be important for me to get these super expensive sartorial items in order to move forward w. the PoSI storyline, or can I muddle through without?

You can do without as there are other options that will appear, such as one that requires you to have most (all? I don’t remember) of the lodgings. Also the card will show up again.

Although since you are at PoSI levels it might not be a bad idea to invest the Echos in the clothing.

Is anyone playing the knife and candle storyline. Currently cannot advance as do not have any friends on the same journey. Are there any suggestions as to how i can acquire some friends to play murder with??

You can post at http://community.failbettergames.com/topic1632-knife-and-candle-the-underground-leagues.aspx[li][/li]

[quote=Urthdigger]Back when I started the game, I recall feeling very lost. There was very little in the ways of guidance, and my first few days were spent almost paralyzed for fear of making the wrong decision. Near as I can tell, there still isn’t much in the way of advice for new players. There are a few guides here and there on things such as how to most effectively grind items, progress qualities, or cross the unterzee, but little in the way of helping a player get a grasp on the game. I’d like to change that. I’m going to try and assemble a list of advice, and post it up on the wikis, and of course this thread as well. If anyone has advice of their own, or thinks they can phrase a tip bet (Or if I’m flat out wrong), please mention so in the thread. <snip>
[/quote]

Excellent advice! I wanted to point out only that although blue storylets always relate to Ambitions, not all blue storylets are Ambition content. The main Knife-and-Candle storylet over at the Gamekeeper’s Cottage, for example, is blue but does not relate to the Ambitions.

A side issue; Alys, that blue on light gray is impossible to read without highlighting, and just looking at it is almost physically painful.

That post is over a year old, and she stopped using the color after the forum’s color changed.

This reminded me of two sites that I read when I first started (and sent to my friends to get them to play the game); it’s fun to see them again now (look at the screenshots to see how the layout changed).

This is one: http://mmorpg-info.org/category/guides/echo-bazaar/

The other one is sadly defunct: Good night, Posterous

So, I may have managed to find a Dreadful Surmise very early on in the game (I have no clue how, I don’t remember). This means I have a possible windfall of 312 echoes, a huge sum for someone with less than 20 in all of his stats. Do you guys have suggestions for a shopping spree? Or should I hold onto it for later?

I don’t believe the Dreadful Surmise has much use yet except as a lavish decoration for your mantelpiece. Personally, I’d hang on to it until you’re in your mid-levels, between 60-100, and set on your Ambition, as that’s probably when you’ll most want to be able to swiftly buy some knick-knack to advance a storyline.