Advice for new players

Question: I am in my second “Shroom Hopping” card and find it seems a wonderful way to get items and connections with very lttle menace probability. Am I making a mistake staying there for awhile to accumulate? What mean is, will I miss important storylets and opportunity cards that have a maximum level? (been playing since mid-June. Dangerous 61, watchful 67; persuasive 60 and shadowy 86. am PoSI. Have 5 Lodgings, all pets up to henchman. Connections over 25: Bohemian, Orient, society, criminal, revolutionaries, the dock.)

Thanks so much for any advice

I don’t believe there are truly any “important” storylets that cap. That said, you might miss out some one what’s going on with the plot in fallen london.

Yeah, but it would take them a long time to get high enough that they couldn’t unlock them with the use of Ridiculous Hat, Bottled Oblivion, and a Talkative Rat. That would be some dedicated Shroom Hopping.

Thanks all. sorry if I don’t respond quickly (or at all). I keep getting tossed off the forum.

[quote=NyteSongDangerous 61, watchful 67; persuasive 60 and shadowy 86. am PoSI.[/quote]
…Unless I’ve misinterpreted this, how are you a PoSI with stats below 100?

fate can do that.

Seems like a bad idea, since most things that PoSI unlocks takes high stats anyway, it’s one of the less useful uses of fate around. But you could fate-buy your way past the requirements.

[quote=Woogawoman]I think the one piece of advice I’d add is: Don’t be in too much of a hurry to advance.
– enjoy the ride. :)[/quote]

I very heartily second that. In fact, I think that’s why I like this game so much, because I can take my time and not feel rushed. I like poking around where I don’t belong and exploring and this is the game for it.

[quote=progpen][quote=Woogawoman]I think the one piece of advice I’d add is: Don’t be in too much of a hurry to advance.
– enjoy the ride. :)[/quote]

I very heartily second that. In fact, I think that’s why I like this game so much, because I can take my time and not feel rushed. I like poking around where I don’t belong and exploring and this is the game for it.[/quote]

Seconded =)

There isn’t much of an outpour of actual advice in this thread, it seems.

1. Objectively speaking, for the more-gamer-than-reader, the Shoes and Watchful benefactor are the best. Every other piece of gear from the other benefactors is replaceable, and the opportunity card that occasionally shows up will net you Sudden Insights, which are Watchful second chances. These are, arguablly, the best second chances, since they both prevent Nightmares at higher levels (Nightmares being the most hassling of menaces), and are extremely useful when trying to come back to life, since playing Chess with Death is a Watchful challenge that can only ever reach Modest as its lowest difficulty.

2. If you’re unsure and debating as to which Ambition to take, choosing the Light Fingers ambition might be a good idea. Deep down along the storyline, you’ll be given a free pack of Lethian Tea Leaves, which allow you to reset your ambition. By then you’ll probably have a more solid and knowledgeable opinion of the Neath, and can choose whether to continue with Light Fingers, or switch to a different ambition entirely.

3. Something nobody ever seems to mention; there is a storyline that is only unlockable by linking your account with Facebook, called Uncovering the Secrets of the Face Tailor. Let it be known that if you toss the [EDIT:SPOILERS] into the river at the near-beginning, that’s the end of the storylet. For good.
    edited by Saharan on 12/22/2012

Greetings!

I have only been in Fallen London for a few days, but already I am deeply enraptured by this strange new world!

One thing of some annoyance I have found, however, is that the Dangerous quality is somewhat…odious to advance, at least for a beginning visitor like me. It is no more difficult than advancing any other quality, it is simply less pleasurable than the other three, and the rewards seem to be of lesser use than those granted by, say, Watchful or especially Shadowy challenges. Is there a repeatable storylet somewhere that will aid in Dangerous advancement that is a bit more…palatable than the starting options? Or at least one that will grant me rewards of fair value?
edited by Flipz on 2/7/2013

I’m not quite sure what you mean, partly because they’ve changed the early game somewhat since when I went through. A few things of note:

1: Be on the lookout for storylets where the reward gives you the “A Name Built in Blood” quality and tells you to wait. There’s such qualities for all 4 qualities as I believe, although only persuasive and watchful have ways for high level players to get them last I checked. A few days after getting this quality, you’ll get a message that allows you to get a large bonus to your main quality (in this case, dangerous) as well as one of the “mysteries of the neath” qualities, which can be used to unlock storylets to find out more about strange happenings.

2: MOST storylets, and at the time when I went through I’m pretty sure ALL low level storylets, actually give equal value. The difficulty required for them to be a 50% chance of success is the storylet’s “level”, and they should give enough goods that you can sell them and get back as much pence as the level. For example, level 30 storylets giving 30 glim, or 15 cryptic clues.

3: You may want to take the advice on getting level adjusting items. This can both help you keep a storylet at a range where it’s quick to raise your quality, yet succeeds often, as well as spend as little time in unpalatable storylets as possible.
edited by Urthdigger on 2/7/2013

Depends on what level you’re at, and what you consider odious.

‘Dangerous’ tasks usually involve violence in some way, which might mean fighting man or beast. Good early tasks for raising Dangerous include helping out subduing unruly drunks at the Medusa’s Head, defending a candlemaker against a moth infestation, and brawling or wrestling at the Medusa’s Head. I don’t know whether any of these things would appeal to you. All generally have level-appropriate rewards.

Even if the available storylets aren’t your cup of tea, at least do some ‘Aggressive Gardening’, since that will give you the “A Name Built in Blood” quality that Urthdigger talks about. (Doing it more than once doesn’t help or hurt; the reward will simply show up some amount of time after you first acquire the quality.)

[quote=Urthdigger]I’m not quite sure what you mean, partly because they’ve changed the early game somewhat since when I went through. A few things of note:

1: Be on the lookout for storylets where the reward gives you the “A Name Built in Blood” quality and tells you to wait. There’s such qualities for all 4 qualities as I believe, although only persuasive and watchful have ways for high level players to get them last I checked. [/quote]

The shadowy one can be gained for High level people from The Alleys of Spite -> Intercept another Courier -> Brush past her in crowd and swap.

Depends on what level you’re at, and what you consider odious.

‘Dangerous’ tasks usually involve violence in some way, which might mean fighting man or beast. Good early tasks for raising Dangerous include helping out subduing unruly drunks at the Medusa’s Head, defending a candlemaker against a moth infestation, and brawling or wrestling at the Medusa’s Head. I don’t know whether any of these things would appeal to you. All generally have level-appropriate rewards.

Even if the available storylets aren’t your cup of tea, at least do some ‘Aggressive Gardening’, since that will give you the “A Name Built in Blood” quality that Urthdigger talks about. (Doing it more than once doesn’t help or hurt; the reward will simply show up some amount of time after you first acquire the quality.)[/quote]

Yes, my character isn’t particularly fond of violence–he tends to make love (a lot! :P ), not war. ;-) I’ve been running the moth mission, since it seems most in-line with my character’s likes.

Speaking of special Qualities and awards, I recently drew the Valuable Secrets card, which, as I understand, unlocks a storylet to gain a Connection-based pet. Which one of these pets (and by association, which Connections) will be most useful in the long term?

I found the Respectable pets to have the most lasting value.

Docks, Society, Church, and Revolutionaries.

You may however want to switch back and forth depending on what you need at the time.

Go with whatever pet you feel you like the most. All of the pets are eventually outclassed by other pets, and while the card you unlock with them can be useful, they’re all the same options mechanics-wise, differing only in the text.

So, for someone who’s more a lover than a fighter, how about siding with the Bohemians?

Generally Bizarre is hardest to get, followed by Dreaded, followed by Respectable. But either way, it’s minor. I got a Bandaged Raven, and haven’t even thought about swapping it since.

So, another “new guy” question: is it possible to seduce both the Heiress AND the Jewel-thief? If not, which one offers the better reward(s) in the long run?

Yes, you may seduce as many or as few as you would like.

Back again…as a character with stats in the low 20s (except for Persuasive, which is 35), what is the best place/way to grind for Proscribed Materials and/or Incendiary Gossip?