"Addressed As" - new Fallen London titles

Hmm
Dude
Man/Woman
Adventurer/Adventuress
Individual
Body

Foreigner! And once Paris Tombée comes out ‘Englisman…’ and obviously GENERAL! THE military rank… now will Frank be lord or lieutenant… what would fit a poor noble(lost all in New Newgate) from Liverpool[li]

Creature. When it comes to Fallen London who knows if the person you’re addressing is even human?

“Detective”
“Chef”
“Brother”
“Sister”
“Father”
“Inspector”
“Postman”
“Boss”

And on a less serious note:

“Dragonborn”
“The hero of Kvatch”
“You monster”
“Houoin… KYOUUUUUUUUUUMA. HAHAHAHAHAHA”
“Dude”
“Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude”
“True Believer”
“The Doctor”
“Graverobber”

[quote=Cotton Dee]
&quotYou monster&quot[/quote]
I support this suggestion.

[li]

This was the most difficult decision I’ve ever had to make in my Fallen London history. Thankfully it is not permanent, otherwise I’d probably still be staring at the storylet and fidgeting.

We could have gender-neutral titles based on our novels/poetry:

Tragedy of Romance - Tragedian
An Allegorical Satire - Satirist
Epic Poetic Cycle - Poet
Tale of the Future - Futurist
Gothic Romance - Romanticist
Patriotic Adventure - Patriot

PS: Why did the urchin backed away when Pyro told them that he should be called Monster-Hunter? I mean, we’re like cuddly seal puppies.

My character is thrilled to finally be addressed as “Sir.” It drove him up the wall that, despite having a very masculine name and running around SHIRTLESS, people still seemed confused about his gender. This will definitely cut down on the number of people he wants to punch in a typical day. Thanks FBG!

This is cool ^_^

Though I think there should be a feminine version of the &quotglassman&quot title. Say, &quotglasslady.&quot Glassman is currently the only profession title that has a masculine attribute in it. That was fine when it was simply the name of the profession (&quotman&quot in such a context being an acceptable short word for humanity), but if its a lady’s form of address it should be feminine, no?

I’m feeling this.
edited by Psyche Labyrinth on 3/11/2016

Seeker, for when seeking comes back. So sensible Londoners will know who to avoid :P

[quote=Pyrodinium]We could have gender-neutral titles based on our novels/poetry:

Tragedy of Romance - Tragedian
An Allegorical Satire - Satirist
Epic Poetic Cycle - Poet
Tale of the Future - Futurist
Gothic Romance - Romanticist
Patriotic Adventure - Patriot
[/quote]
I like these. The urchin can give you literary criticism.

[quote=Anne Auclair]This is cool ^_^

Though I think there should be a feminine version of the &quotglassman&quot title. Say, &quotglasslady.&quot Glassman is currently the only profession title that has a masculine attribute in it. That was fine when it was simply the name of the profession (&quotman&quot in such a context being an acceptable short word for humanity), but if its a lady’s form of address it should be feminine, no?[/quote]

I absolutely agree! That’s actually why I didn’t choose that for my character despite being a glassman. I’m of &quotmysterious and indistinct gender&quot and if that had been &quotglassperson&quot I would have picked it in a heartbeat. As it is, my profession causes me quite a bit of an uneasy weird feeling every time it’s mentioned.

[li]
edited by LawrenceKeyworth on 3/10/2016

I just realized something… My characters current name is Lord Ivaustus. If I chose the “Lord” title, my name will be… Lord Lord Ivaustus. : (

As a non-binary person, I am very happy to see this happen. The fact I have played Fallen London every day for almost two years is very directly related to seeing that initial choice of &quotMysterious and Indistinct Gender&quot and feeling like I belonged here.

The &quotwhatever you are&quot stammer-pronouns were funny at first, but they got wearing, for reasons which you might guess.

(That said, I would totally see it as okay if someone were able to select those as an actually voluntary form of address. Maybe if you’re a person who deliberately sees yourself as ostentatiously non-human looking.)

My partner’s response, who is also non-binary and also plays FL character (just one, as opposed to my three): &quotThis is neat. If only it were so simple in real life&quot

Lots of good future title suggestions in this thread. &quotCitizen&quot was an important addition as an alternative to Sir and Madam – thank you! And the existing Profession titles were very cool, and their text flavorful.

[quote=LawrenceKeyworth][quote=Anne Auclair]This is cool ^_^

Though I think there should be a feminine version of the &quotglassman&quot title. Say, &quotglasslady.&quot Glassman is currently the only profession title that has a masculine attribute in it. That was fine when it was simply the name of the profession (&quotman&quot in such a context being an acceptable short word for humanity), but if its a lady’s form of address it should be feminine, no?[/quote]

I absolutely agree! That’s actually why I didn’t choose that for my character despite being a glassman. I’m of &quotmysterious and indistinct gender&quot and if that had been &quotglassperson&quot I would have picked it in a heartbeat. As it is, my profession causes me quite a bit of an uneasy weird feeling every time it’s mentioned.

[li]
edited by LawrenceKeyworth on 3/10/2016[/quote]
Perhaps Glass-Traveler rather then Glassperson? Glass Traveler does the job and sounds better, I think.[/li]
edited by Anne Auclair on 3/11/2016

Ahhhh, this is great! I was going to stick with Madam but then I saw Professor, and my revolutionary alt is very happy with Citizen.

Scoundrel? Scoundrel… I like the sound of that.

I’m really happy about these titles! I picked ‘Madam’ but only because I couldn’t decide. I would have liked to see more exotic terms. I can’t think of any off of the top of my head, though. However, weirdly, I would have also liked to see ‘Mistress’. In my mind, it has a certain air of mystery.

&quotI’m literally Canon. Don’t contradict me, you apocryphal piece of fanfiction.&quot