"Addressed As" - new Fallen London titles

I believe it’s going to be an option on ‘The Roof-Tops: Urchins’ Opportunity Card.
(At least, that’s what I think I read when choosing my title. It doesn’t show in the echo though, so I may have misremembered that.)

[quote=an_ocelot][quote=absimiliard]There seems to be no generic, non-gendered, term available. All the non-gendered terms are profession related – not in the game sense of profession but in the normal sense. In the case of &quotCitizen&quot it’s carrying that whole egalitarian, revolutionary, thing – which my character is very much not (despite what all the marks they ply for information believe).[/quote]Let’s brainstorm some options.

• Friend[/li][li]Gentleperson

. . . what else?[/quote]Going clerical: Father, Eminent, …, similiar well-known and widely used terms for positions in other religions (I’m not well informed on the matter)[ul][li]Chief - constable chief, gang chief/boss, tribe chief (this one probably searching for a cow-sized diamond or avenging his beloved)[/li][li]Chef[/li][li]Master - for expert craftsmen or any persons of significant proficiencies[/li][/ul]
edited by Talkes on 3/10/2016

It’s on the ‘urchin’ card.

It’s very easy to find, assuming the RNG likes you, as I’ve already seen it today since having set the terms. It takes only the items shown on the patch to change again; so around 200 hints, I believe, unless you’re going for profession related terms or ‘professor’, etc.[/quote]

You beat me to it - I was 2 minutes and 40 seconds too slow. :-p

Edit: (@dov - rather than leaving another comment for this… THANKYOU! <3 )
edited by Kittenpox on 3/10/2016

Comrade is even more pro-revolutionary than Citizen (think Soviet Russia rather than Revolutionary France).

Other suggestions for unlocks:
Archeologist (could definitely be Professor I suppose)
Governor/Excellency (Successful term)
Detective (Velocipede squad)
Mystic (or something related to the Glass/Shroud conflict)
Officer (rather than specific ranks? Could also work for constable types)
Tutor: unfinished with the university

Other suggestions for mentally younger characters
Miss (for those who’d prefer not to be Madam yet)
Master (for the younger gentleman set)
Young’un
Reader
Student

I really wanted a &quotsir- er, madam- er, whatever&quot option. Not just a non-gendered term but one highlighting it.
edited by Kaijyuu on 3/10/2016

I agree that it’s a bit of a shame that &quotah, Si-, er, Mad-, er, yes&quot is totally gone, even as a legacy option. I’d rather gotten used to being addressed as such.
Is this one of those &quotclap your hands and believe in hidden branches&quot sort of things? If, for example, you could get the Governor title by getting your Legacy Established, would that be hidden by default to new players - or would it instead be locked but visible, giving them something to shoot for?

E: Perhaps &quotAdvocate&quot might be a good term of address? You’d either be a barrister or a supporter of… something.
And governors (as well as ambassadors & a bunch of other people) could be addressed as &quotExcellency&quot, which is nicely neutral.
edited by ashdenej on 3/11/2016

I got excited seeing the term Monster, but then I saw it had the word hunter after it. I guess my reputation abomination just isn’t high enough yet for people to say “Greetings, you Monster”.

I quite like being recognized as a &quotMonster-Hunter&quot now, I have modeled my character as a hunter and this seemed as good a distinction as any. It was hard choice between this and Sergeant, because I always thought my character did some time in the Prussian Army before coming down to London.

edited by Owen Wulf on 3/10/2016

‘Your Grace’ is rather neutral. It can refer to a Duke or Duchess or Bishop. ‘Oi, You’ could also work for the less than precious.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Snotra

It’s on the ‘urchin’ card.
[/quote]
You beat me to it - I was 2 minutes and 40 seconds too slow. :-p[/quote]
No worries
I’ve sent you both something… tasty. :-)

edited by dov on 3/10/2016

Actually, ‘Governor’ really makes a lot of sense to those who have completed a term. It fits with the other titles, and is also a common way to address someone who was actually a governor.

I’m surprised there is no Fate-locked option for something exotic, as in the House of Chimes (“Your Highness”, maybe?)

I think they should add the (mumble) form of address from Sunless Sea, I always thought that was hilarious… ;)

I think it would be interesting to have some titles connected to Surface. After all, some folk still dream about it… Oh, dear Sun.

Surfacer… It sounds a bit weird, but I don’t have better ideas.

Good ideas for a better term, but I think Ocelot got the best of the lot in the first try.

I’m having a really hard time topping “Friend”, though for some it might carry Quaker connotations I quite like it.

I’m partial to “Elder”, but it would only work for older characters. (or Mormons, of course)

It’s tough though, coming up with a good gender-neutral term of address that doesn’t involve a profession, or being tied to one or more political factions in the Neath.

Oh, whoever suggested “Neighbor”, that’s pretty good too.

[quote=absimiliard]
Oh, whoever suggested &quotNeighbor&quot, that’s pretty good too.[/quote]

It’s a particular day in the Neathly-hood,
A particular day to be 'neath the world
Could you be mine,
Would you be mine?
Won’t you be… My neighbor?

(Sorry. You too may enjoy a first class ear worm courtesy of the young’uns running about my home).

Another option:

Lunch

&quotHero&quot for those who have gotten rid of Jack.
&quotPlayer&quot for those who have made sufficient progress in Ambition Enigma.
&quotAgent(of the masters)&quot for those with sufficient Connected: The Masters and/or Fist of the Bazaar.
In fact, one for each of the connections would be great, with an unlock requirement of a lot of renown and some favours. &quotKingpin&quot for sufficient criminals, etc.

Edit: Also, does anyone know the origin of the title &quotCanon&quot?
edited by Ian Hart on 3/10/2016

Canon: a clergyman attached to a cathedral, as part of the cathedral’s chapter. That isn’t usually an independent priest in charge of their own church (rector or vicar) or working under a priest (curate).

I have to say, I’m quite fond of that title and will definitely be using it when I resume being a Midnighter

I think &quotAgent&quot would be good as a general term–people who incline toward the Great Game could use it, or those who see themselves as Agents of some other larger cause (would Liberation of Night folks like it?). Anyway, it seems pretty wide-ranging and neutral to me.

I like &quotMiss&quot - good idea! I’d have taken that if it was an option.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread.

Some other neutral concepts, that might work for players of all levels:
Zailor
Urchin
Scholar
Investigator
Artist
Newcomer
Ex-convict
Dilletante